Video Card Selection Help

Commissar

With a good dozen games to choose from right now.  o:)

Yeah, it's expensive, but this card is ATI's latest, so this price is pretty damned good. They usually go for around $450-500, and it's a generation ahead of my X850XT.

Should last you a year or two.  :lol:

The price is that good because it's refurbished. God knows what that means, but I'm significantly wary of buying secondhand computer hardware.

I know how ya feel...just check around newegg.com. They actually do have a good system, meaning they make sure their parts function properly.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

This looks great...and only a dollar away from your budget. (S&H excluded)  :lol:

Know what? I'm starting to see the appeal of consoles. I drop three hundred bucks, I could have myself a brand new 360.

Another person sees the light. o:)

Huh? What light? X-Box 360 it's a X-box upgrade (in a way), and the games cost more, and it's not as useful...

Sorry hun, not seeing the light, a whole lot of the aybss though!

Yeah Xbox360 has it's own problems such as fans breaking down.

I know how ya feel...just check around newegg.com. They actually do have a good system, meaning they make sure their parts function properly.

Sure...but the other thing to keep in mind is that I'm currently running an X300. Anything's going to be a huge upgrade. I can't even play the FEAR demo with this card.

Here's a question for you; X850XT, at 256mb memory, or an X800XL with 512mb? I can get them for almost the exact same price, and I have no idea how important the actual card's memory is to the performance, so which one's the way to go?

Sure...but the other thing to keep in mind is that I'm currently running an X300. Anything's going to be a huge upgrade. I can't even play the FEAR demo with this card.

Here's a question for you; X850XT, at 256mb memory, or an X800XL with 512mb? I can get them for almost the exact same price, and I have no idea how important the actual card's memory is to the performance, so which one's the way to go?

I've been told that it doesn't really matter...don't know how reliable that information is, but personally, I'd go with the X850XT, considering it's higher up on the scale...higher clock speeds and what-not.

Don't take my advice though, ask somebody with enough technical know-how, like Alanschu, or somebody.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

Out of stock, and I'm impatient. Plus, I own stock in ATI.

Edit: Plus...and I'm really displaying my lack of knowledge here...but that doesn't seem to have a monitor port on it.

Heh different kinda port, you can get little convertor thingies, basically I think it's a digital out...

That is a card worth waiting for my friend...

Edited by @\NightandtheShape/@

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

"I'm a programmer at a games company... REET GOOD!" - Me

Check this site out...gives benchmarks for an x850xt and a x800xl

Edited by LoneWolf16

- Everlast

Wow...seems like it. I haven't had any problems though. :blink:

- Everlast

I had a 9500 Pro ATI and it was the best quality card i ever bought, and for its time the best bang for the buck. Right now the pendellum seems to have swung on Nvidias side for the moment. Not to mention we aren't comparing the X1800 ATI because they are more expensive then their rival 7800GT. Yet still the X1800 is slower mostly.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

I suggest you take a look at this lonewolf.... Well look at that B&W2 runs better on a Nvidia.

Ok, fine, I admit it. In this case, I'd go for the 7800...since the market in general seems to be on that manufacturer's side. That, and it's got shader 3.0...so...a better buy. But, Commie, look for a pci-e (it being faster than both pci and agp) before you buy.

And in the 7800's case, the difference between 512mb and 256mb types is more than just the memory...the former has higher clock speeds as well.

Just something to take into account...

Edited by LoneWolf16

- Everlast

XFX GeForce 7800 GT OVERCLOCKED 450MHZ 256MB DUAL DVI and VIVO

Engine clock: 450MHZ

Memory clock: 1.05GHZ

Memory Interface: 256

Factory overclocked

20 pipelines

SLI ready

VIVO and HDTV

High Dynamic Range

Shader Model 3.0

Packing and Accessories:

3 Full Games: Farcry, X2, MotoGP2

2 DVI to VGA converters <---- already has adapters, 2 of them. :D

3D Edit Software

AI Driver CD

VIVO + HDTV all in one cable, 2 additional S-Video cables

Myspace Website!

My rig

I suggest you take a look at this lonewolf.... Well look at that B&W2 runs better on a Nvidia.

Ok, fine, I admit it. In this case, I'd go for the 7800...since the market in general seems to be on that manufacturer's side. That, and it's got shader 3.0...so...a better buy. But, Commie, look for a pci-e (it being faster than both pci and agp) before you buy.

And in the 7800's case, the difference between 512mb and 256mb types is more than just the memory...the former has higher clock speeds as well.

Just something to take into account...

Yet it still flashes up with ATI when I start it up. Told ya it's got bugger all to do with the code, it's the drivers!

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

Alright. 

This overclocking business has me a bit wary, though.

Don't worry about it, I had an overclocked geforce 5500fx.

It's just the card is professionally overclocked already it's quite safe, it's kinda like saying "Oi, Numpty I'm already overclocked so don't push me any further else I'll burn your house down and kill the kiddies".

RS_Silvestri_01.jpg

My BFG 6800GT is overclocked by the manufacturer also. Its underwarranty so you can always return it as long as its still underwarranty.

If you are really wary check the temp of the CORE cpu for your Graphic card and if its hotter then 60C return it.

This card has a 2 year warranty by the way.

Edited by WITHTEETH

Myspace Website!

My rig

Alright. 

This overclocking business has me a bit wary, though.

Don't worry about it, I had an overclocked geforce 5500fx.

It's just the card is professionally overclocked already it's quite safe, it's kinda like saying "Oi, Numpty I'm already overclocked so don't push me any further else I'll burn your house down and kill the kiddies".

Right...but doesn't overclocking equal hotter running? I'm not in the mood to start figuring out how to put extra heat sinks or fans into my case.

My BFG 6800GT is overclocked by the manufacturer also. Its underwarranty so you can always return it as long as its still underwarranty.

If you are really wary check the temp of the CORE cpu for your Graphic card and if its hotter then 60C return it.

Now, honestly...do I sound like the kind of guy who'd know how to do that?

Yet it still flashes up with ATI when I start it up. Told ya it's got bugger all to do with the code, it's the drivers!

Didn't know that, since I don't own the game. :blink: But I've been put in my place already, so shush.

Don't worry about overclocking, Commie. Not like you have to do it for the card to function well. ;)

Oddly though, the 3dmark tests on that one link favored the X1800XT over the NVidia cards except in the highest resolutions.

Ok, I admit this too, ATI's drivers suck. At least when I had an NVidia card the damned drivers didn't screw up some of my games. >_<

That, and shadows in BF2 rendered properly.

- Everlast