Show us your weird & wonderful presents!

Kaftan Barlast

Back from the park, but getting ready for dinner, so still no time for a picture. Turned out it was a three blade set. I have quite a collection of weapons my family keeps getting me. The reason the folks here keep getting weapons, (blades; maces; bows) is simply because we're a bunch of RPG geeks. The reason Gabs doesn't them is because she's dangerous.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Sword collecting is fun. :D I got into the hobby last year. Hence the reason I sometimes get edged items for my birthday or Christmas. Most of the stuff is for display only, so the edges are dull to begin with, so in some ways it's safer than having kitchen knives in the house.

The katana I have was made by a bladesmith. I'll see if I can find the paperwork on it. It was $250 US unfinished and $350 finished. I can bend the blade nearly ninety degrees and have it snap back and remain true. The guys who made it guarantees that it can cut through a car body and he will still warranty the blade. His demo is taking one of the smaller blades and slamming it against a piece of 1/4 inch mild steel plate and peeling the edge off the plate and showing that there is no damage to the blade.

Here's the warranty ( as well as the website for his work ).

http://www.badgerblades.com/html/warrantee.html

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

My sister bought one of my swords there. My wife is starting to get a bit irritated by my collection, however. Some of the swords are display pieces, but two of them are considerably more dangerous than kitchen knives. In addition, you're supposed to actually care for the damned things, which I do. Still, the odd year of Ken-do I took overseas probably didn't make me the swordsmaster I am today. For that, I can only thank my dreams and overactive imagination.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

My sister bought one of my swords there. 

Which one and how do you like it?

My wife is starting to get a bit irritated by my collection, however. 

I got lucky in that my wife supports this particular hobby. I think I'm going to buy the steel wagazashi to go with my katana but Goddamn that bronze katana is beautiful!

Some of the swords are display pieces, but two of them are considerably more dangerous than kitchen knives. 

You haven't seen my wife's knives ( she's an exec chef ) ;) .

In addition, you're supposed to actually care for the damned things, which I do. 

I keep mine oiled. My first one I was using in a ceremony and handled the blade with salt-water on my hands. I played Hell getting the damned rusted finger-prints out of it. :thumbsup:

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

I got Samurai 7. (The anime series) It's really nice. :)

I'm never going to get anything sharp for christmas though. You probrably need a lisence to own a sword here. Hell, you even need a lisence to own a TV here. I don't know if you need one anywhere else, but it's pretty stupid to me.

This year I have mostly been receiving:

League of Gentlemen Complete DVD Set

Lord of The Rings Trilogy Soundtrack

A vintage fountain pen

Notebooks

Fast Show Series 1 DVD

3 piece oriental chef's knife set

A shiny meat cleaver

A cloth knife roll thingy

A cold

Some good news

Much alcohol

I gave someone the Sideshow Weta Sauron statue, which is large and awesome.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Albert Einstein