Interesting article about PC v. Console

kumquatq3

Alone? Haha, the thing about being a women is we can go out and get whatever we want when we want it. Men have to work on it and usually strike out.

That's not necessarily true for all women, just as your statement about men is not entirely true.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

DX II simply scape goats the platform for the choices the developers made.

Having common ammo has nothing to do with console FPS. There was nothing stopping them having larger areas on the PC version if they wanted too either, it's just laziness.

I think "laziness" might be a little unfair of a term. Making the levels larger in the PC version would have introduced the possibility of many additional bugs, plus it's not just like you can go "copy -> paste" to change them.

You could argue it was "laziness" but I'd wager things such as money and scheduling would have more to do with it. I'm willing to bet Ion Storm wasn't just "sitting around" being lazy during the last few months of development.

Yeah, because your posts are so shockfull of links to reliable sources...

I'm not the one claiming that any one system is better than the other. I don't need to prove that hardware offers no guarantee of quality any more than I need to prove that movies filmed on digital cameras makes higher quality films. The onus is on those who claim the PC allows for higher quality games than consoles to offer proof of such.

All you've offered is you opinion on games you have reviewed as some kind of fact, and the occasional irrelevant quip about age. Just how old are you anyway, seeing as how you seem to think it's so relevant?

Difference is that I actually work as a games reviewer and has been doing so for several years.

See:

The statistical evidence I obtained from www.gamerankings.com clearly shows that PCs are the inferior gaming platform. There's only one PC game in their top 10 (and it's only #7, too). This, I theorize, is due to the fact that the PC, as a gaming platform, possesses very limited capabilities in comparison to consoles. The evidence is absolute, gentlemen!

Edited by Hell Kitty

The statistical evidence I obtained from www.gamerankings.com clearly shows that PCs are the inferior gaming platform. There's only one PC game in their top 10 (and it's only #7, too). This, I theorize, is due to the fact that the PC, as a gaming platform, possesses very limited capabilities in comparison to consoles. The evidence is absolute, gentlemen!

Doesn't say much actually. It could mean aswell that PC gamers and reviewers are more picky when comes to games on their platform. Any demographic analys can show you that the PC crowd is more "hardcore" than the console crowd.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Oh, i stand corrected then.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

When I look at my game playing habits over the past few years, I've noticed a trend: The games that I play the most all either came with editors or have significant modding communities using unofficial tools. I've also noticed that I generally spend about 2 to 10 times more time tinkering with toolsets than actually playing the games.

Back when the PS2 was still a relatively new console (just before they dropped the price from $300, grr) I decided to buy one and give console games another try, since the last console I had purchased was the original GameBoy (and before that the Atari 2600). I've always been more of a PC gamer, but seeing the industry moving more toward consoles I figured it was in my own best interest to give them a chance rather than simply hating them blindly. The end result is that I now have an overpriced DVD player, because that's about all I use it for.

It was while I was trying to figure out why none of the console games really seemed to grab my attention that I noticed the very strong trend of preferring games with toolsets. In fact, I think the KotOR games are the only games within the last 3 or 4 years that have held my interest long enough to finish without toolsets/mods. Every other game I've tried recently (both on console and PC) either had modding, or I got bored of it very quickly and never finished it.

This is one of the major reasons that I hate consoles. A proprietary hardware platform that is strictly controlled by the manufacturer is never likely to give me the kind of gaming experience I like, not matter how good it is in terms of technology, so I think I'll stick with PC from now on. If publishers eventually abandon the PC as a commercial gaming platform, then I'll probably abandon commercial games, because my experience with the PS2 has demonstrated that I just don't like console games much. On the bright side, if commercial game publishers abandon the PC, then Linux may become the PC gaming OS of choice for the "indie" game developers who remain on the PC. Then I wouldn't need to keep a second operating system just to play games.

-Kasoroth

Edited by Kasoroth