Bloodlines is making me Angry

Child of Flame

However, SP, it's worth pointing out that both Bloodlines and Arcanum turned out, post patch, to be 2 of the better crpgs ever made.  Let's be honest, its now sop to release buggy games.  To hang Troika up by their balls for that seems a tad unfair.  I was as sad to see Troika drop as I was to see Origin and Microprose go under.  The best developers never last.

There are buggy games and there are BUGGY games and Troika falls into the later catagory.

You can only get away with that for so long.

To compare Troika to Origin and Microprose is an insult to those two well established companies with many great titles under their belts. Troika were wannabe's compared to those.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

There are buggy games and there are BUGGY games and Troika falls into the later catagory.

You can only get away with that for so long.

To compare Troika to Origin and Microprose is an insult to those two well established companies with many great titles under their belts. Troika were wannabe's compared to those.

Sure there are degrees of bugginess, Descent to Undermountain and Battlecruiser 3000 spring to mind, and yes, Arcanum especially was pretty wasted out of the box. But, IIRC, BIS released a host of buggy games, many of which were never fixed. And of course, they didn't last either. ;)

Anyway, I wasn't compaing Troika to MP or Origin in terms of career accomplishments, merely saying that the passing of another development house that made quality computer games is a sad thing. To me at least.

And to simply blame the developers as being at fault for an industry-wide problem seems a rather simple solution to a much more complex problem, don't you think. ;)

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Sure there are degrees of bugginess, Descent to Undermountain and Battlecruiser 3000 spring to mind, and yes, Arcanum especially was pretty wasted out of the box.  But, IIRC, BIS released a host of buggy games, many of which were never fixed.  And of course, they didn't last either. ;)

Anyway, I wasn't compaing Troika to MP or Origin in terms of career accomplishments, merely saying that the passing of another development house that made quality computer games is a sad thing.  To me at least.

And to simply blame the developers as being at fault for an industry-wide problem seems a rather simple solution to a much more complex problem, don't you think. ;)

Yes but those would be exceptions to the rule for those particular companies. Where as for Troika it was the rule.

If they couldnt get it right after three tries, not much chance they ever would.

The only reason that people give them a second glance is because no one really makes those sorts of old school RPGs.

As the saying goes, if your starving even rotten friut is better than no fruit.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

It does seem that buggy releases don't always get the same treatment by reviewers. Kotor 2 got good reviews which barely mentioned the bugs, Bloodlines (perhaps because of Troika's history) got worse reviews, in part because of the bugs. What accounts for this? Is it that some bugs are more apparent than others, or just that reviewers follow the hype?

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

It does seem that buggy releases don't always get the same treatment by reviewers.  Kotor 2 got good reviews which barely mentioned the bugs, Bloodlines (perhaps because of Troika's history) got worse reviews, in part because of the bugs.  What accounts for this?  Is it that some bugs are more apparent than others, or just that reviewers follow the hype?

Hell, Neverwinter Nights probably got one of the buggiest releases in videogame history and how many reviews brought these up?

Hype and favoritism in the game critic scene? WELL I NEVER!

Edited by Role-Player

It does seem that buggy releases don't always get the same treatment by reviewers.  Kotor 2 got good reviews which barely mentioned the bugs, Bloodlines (perhaps because of Troika's history) got worse reviews, in part because of the bugs.  What accounts for this?  Is it that some bugs are more apparent than others, or just that reviewers follow the hype?

How much does the bug spoil the game experience. Now I've only played KOTOR II on the Xbox but I never came across anything that I would say spoiled the game experience. On the other hand Bloodlines got slower and slower the longer I played it ,often crashed between transit points and in the end just shut down without warning. That was not only noticable, but also extremely annoying.

I did come across the Red Sun bug (the slaver event not triggering) on my second playthrough of KOTOR, although obviously if I was reviewing it, then it wouldnt have made any difference.

478327[/snapback]

It's hard to tell how much bugs affected the sales, although I think there was an initial knee-jerk reaction from players. I can understand it but down the track, a lot of gamers are discovering that Bloodlines is pretty darn good.

I'll take a buggy Troika game over most of the competition any day.