Looking for CRPG

Janmanden

Broaden your tastes and try something new.

Yeah, like some JRPG's. Several of them have excellent stories(FF, Baten Kaitos, Chrono Trigger, etc...)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Gothic? Hm...looking at some screenshots and reading over some discontent about controls and interface...Not sure I can afford a new screen at the moment - lost enough hair already on previous encounters with other games, so I take out my frustration on, well... It looks a bit reminiscent of M&M expect in a 3rd person perspective.

It's almost nothing like Might and Magic. In fact, the game it most closely resembles in mechanics and interface is Ultima IX. Though many people have said Gothic is "Ultima IX done right".

Gothic 2 Review at RPGDOT

Night of the Raven (addon) Review at RPGDOT

NOTE: If you get Gothic 2 Gold (only 14.99 at amazon), you get both Gothic 2 and Night of the Raven.

I am telling you that based on what you wrote you are interested in :

-Action RPG

-Not purely hack/slash

-A sense of wit, but not always funny

No other game matches what you said more closely than Gothic and Gothic 2. Do not listen to any horror stories abou the controls. Once you get used them (which takes about 5-10 minutes) they are 2nd nature and you can start enjoying the huge game (about 80 hours of gameplay w/ addon) in front of you.

Indeed. If you want a funny RPG, Anachronox is the way to go. The combat sucks though.

Edited by Soulseeker

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

And you might try System Shock 2. It's an rpg-light. with some interesting concepts. Some people call it an fps, but that's just bullcrap. Same thing with Deus Ex; a must play.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I guess it would be kinda nice if the thread header as well as the thread starting post was always visible on the top of any page in the thread. But I guess I should just keep any ideas to myself.

And you might try System Shock 2. It's an rpg-light. with some interesting concepts. Some people call it an fps, but that's just bullcrap. Same thing with Deus Ex; a must play.

I got both already. (DX, SS) I consider them Action RPG hybrids. DX and SS are unfortunately very linear stories...making the RPG rather shallow, but still definitely must plays.

Edited by Janmanden

(Signatures: disabled)