Buying games online.

I'm starting to question whether or not I should. Not because it's not great and really easy to do , actually thats why I'm starting to question it. It's just too easy. It's like an impluse buyers worse nightmare. See something click something and thats it...

Case in point I just bought Mario Soccer. Granted I did phone GAME first (where it was

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I used to buy a lot hardware on-line in Denmark with super-express delivery (arriving the next morning before going to work)...but after some failing hardware and long repair times I just prefer to shop around the corner...I like the face-to-face dialogue when complaining or for reimbursement. Did buy games a few times on-line too, but I'm generally to impatient to wait...and when they mess up orders I'm a total wreck. Better to go shop and be guided by impulse....even though I really hate not having the option to check game reviews at the same time I'm checking the goods in stores.

(Signatures: disabled) 

Reader's note: ShadowPaladin, otherwise known as Potent, is filthy rich. So if he questions whether it is wise to buy something, theres got to be a grain of truth somewhere there.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I get my games at either EB or Ebay.... but rarely on impulse.

People should do like I do, make a list of what you want, then prioritize it... and then STICK to it.

Your going to make someone a fine wife some day.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

People should do like I do, make a list of what you want, then prioritize it... and then STICK to it.

Making 'lists' really sounds like WORK and I make a great effort of keeping work and leisure time apart.

Wow, if that's work for you...What's your job like?

It's full of lists with things to do.

You fail at OCD. Go to jail, go directly to jail, and do not wash your hands.

Anything that is limited can be managed better, and thus more usefully / beter value for money by organising it.

I take it you don't buy games for the Mac, so you are already "working" (sic, q.v. ut supra) by laboriously choosing only PC games. :p

For example, I have spent the last year or so auditing the three main (PC-only) games magazines to ascertain which is the best (for me); now I have settled on one, and I have calibrated my likes and dislikes with the scores granted by this magazine, I can plan my games purchases. Some might call this work, but I found it very enjoyable reading different magazine's reviews and comparing them (ultimately with my own playing experience).

Secondly, I HATE going into a retail store, because all the old games that are (apparently) very good are never in the store, and I end up having to choose between several I have never heard of, if I wish to buy a game. I normally walk off empty handed, as my leisure time is limited and I do not wish to waste time, money and effort to purchase, install and play garbage. Especially when I could be playing something else.

So online is grand. :D

Edited by metadigital

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I HATE going into a retail store, because all the old games that are (apparently) very good are never in the store, and I end up having to choose between several I have never heard of. I normally walk off empty handed, as my leisure time is limited and I do not wish to waste time, money and effort buy, installing and playing garbage when I could be playing something else.

Must be the stores in your area suck. Our "computer", I use that term loosely since they sell console crap mostly, game stores are not great, but I can find what I want at Best Buy. Pretty sad really.

They tend to be crammed with crap I have never heard of, Game especially annoys me, because it doesn't have a large back catalogue at all. (I can understand a part-time games retailer that is a full-time stationer, for example, not having capacious racks of games from the last five years, but a game store? Meh.)

That's how I (accidentally) bought Everquest ... I was looking for Dungeon Siege ! :p (Never do that again.)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Words like violence break the silence...on the internet noone can hear you scream.

I'm a people person. Find the right shop. Meet the people. Learn their hearts hear their appreciation. See the game. Feel the box. Bright colors. Can you smell that? Argue. Relate. Discuss the game. Lots of shops where I live. Shops with and without recycle. Pretty easy to find any game (almost) around here.

And yes I've got a pc-aficionado and I prefer pizza over mac.

Sounds like you are an extrovert. I am not. I do not wish to talk to someone who will have (odds-on) less knowledge about games, systems and life in general than me. Waste of time.

Just like the stupid assistant who asks me (rote) every time I purchase a game "Have you checked that your computer can play this game?": completely useless. She obviously has no idea what the critical requirements are for ANY game, let alone the ones that people bring to the counter (she asked me when I bought a bargain

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Ah. I am that most difficult to discern, the introvert who masquerades as an extrovert.

As far as all but those closest to me are concerned, I am an extrovert. In reality I must leave the madding crowd to recharge my batteries on a regular basis, otherwise I can no longer function.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Ah. I am that most difficult to discern, the introvert who masquerades as an extrovert.

As far as all but those closest to me are concerned, I am an extrovert. In reality I must leave the madding crowd to recharge my batteries on a regular basis, otherwise I can no longer function.

I'm an introvert. You wouldn't believe that I am shy. Online I am just the opposite, talk a lot, obnoxious, joking around. Jekel and Hyde complex perhaps.

Or the anonymity of the internets allows one to express those parts of their personalities that mayhaps be de-emphasised in the quotidian interactions both forced onto citizens and elected by individuals.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Sounds like you are an extrovert. I am not. I do not wish to talk to someone who will have (odds-on) less knowledge about games, systems and life in general than me. Waste of time.

Just like the stupid assistant who asks me (rote) every time I purchase a game "Have you checked that your computer can play this game?": completely useless. She obviously has no idea what the critical requirements are for ANY game, let alone the ones that people bring to the counter (she asked me when I bought a bargain

I'm introverted too, but talk like crazy on the Internet as well. I'm guessing the Structural Functionalists would consider the internet to be serving a function in my life (i.e. expressing myself).

Though I'm much less shy/introverted than I used to be though.

The only money I've spent on-line is for stuff like Fraps, domain names, and webhosting. And WoW. :ermm: So far, I haven't had any problems buying what I've wanted in the stores around here.

I think there will come a day when I'll be forced to buy retail on-line for many things....but I'm putting it off as long as possible. I don't like to wait either, and I like being able to see (and return) what I'm buying in person. Plus I agree that it's too easy & can breed bad spending habits...especially if you tend to be an impulse buyer. When I was buying domain names I kept buying more and more because it was too easy to get wrapped up into "thought of another one, gotta reserve that one!" and all I had to do is click my mouse to get it - next thing I knew, I had a ton of domain names I have no need for....

--------

I'm introverted in groups, and socializing with people I don't know well makes me feel like I need a nap before even an hour goes by. Familiar people and one on one I can seem like an extrovert - but I just have one of those minds that runs all the time and am mentally hyper, so sometimes I talk a lot o:)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts