UFO Aftershock

Hurlshort

I've been trying to find a store that actually has this game in the US, but it seems to be a ghost. I hear it's selling decently in Europe though, so I wondered if any of y'all have seen it or noticed anything about it. It's supposed to be an Xcom style game, although it has an RTS style combat. Anyone thinking about getting it? I'm actually just dying for a new turn based squad level game. The only quality games I know in this genre are Jagged Alliance and Xcom.

Played the first one. I'd say your better off with Xcom. In the first one you couldnt even enter buildings.

Don't know what improvements have been made but I followed it for a bit and it didnt look upto Xcom standards.

I'm still waiting for RebelStar on the GBA (same folks who made Xcom).

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

If your interested in squad level in general rather than the UFO type. Buy a GBA (or DS) and play Fire Emblem and the othe Fire Emblem.

The GC Fire Emblem is tops too.

Generally though the handhelds are repleat with strategy/tactics games.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I'm still waiting for RebelStar on the GBA (same folks who made Xcom).

I thought that already came out awhile ago.

BTW, I think it was you who was waiting for Metroid Prime 2 to drop in price. While most sites don't reflect it yet, the price has apparently dropped, or at least Gamestop has it on sale for 19.99 new.

There actually is a Jagged Alliance 3 in the works...but I'm extremely pessemistic about it. It's being done by the bankrupted Strategy First. They have a couple people from the Sir-Tech team working on it, but I don't think it's any of the important people. Still, a little hope is better than none.

There's also JA 3D coming, but I doubt you purists care.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

There's also JA 3D coming, but I doubt you purists care.

I care, but then I'm not a purist :)

But hasn't it been coming for... 5 years or so? :geek:

I saw the first screenshots a few months ago same time I first heard about it, so I can't really say.

Edit: If we get Ivan, it's going to be alright. :cool:

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

True. There didn't seem to be much communication between Strategy First and Mistland about the upcoming JA titles. Mistland wanted real-time combat, whereas SF had promised to stick with JA's turn-based roots. Actually, we fans scratched our heads more than once wondering who was really in charge there.

I hear there's a SF game out in Europe now called BrigadeE5: New Jagged Union, which is supposed to be in the Jagged Alliance mode. Rumor has it that an English-speaking version may be released next year. I haven't found too much detail about it, though. But I check into Bearpit and the SF forums every few weeks, hoping for good news. We can only hope.

I wish I could!  Unfortunately I don't have a GBA or a Gamecube.  I also struggle playing strategy games with a console controller.

What sort of excuse is that :(

I have the same problem with RTS games. Fire Emblem is TB though like JA so it's not like you are under any sort of pressure.

478327[/snapback]

I wish I could!  Unfortunately I don't have a GBA or a Gamecube.  I also struggle playing strategy games with a console controller.

What sort of excuse is that :-

I have the same problem with RTS games. Fire Emblem is TB though like JA so it's not like you are under any sort of pressure.

If I were to get a Fire Emblem game, which one should I go for and which console is it for?

EDIT: Aftershock looks interesting, hopefully it has lost the bad stuff and kept the good. Has anyone bought it yet?

Edited by Berserk

If I were to get a Fire Emblem game, which one should I go for and which console is it for?

EDIT: Aftershock looks interesting, hopefully it has lost the bad stuff and kept the good. Has anyone bought it yet?

Well there are two available on the GBA both very good (the first one is the hardest since it's pretty much linear (with bonus missions) and you have to shop as you battle which is a bit of an odd concept.

The second one is similiar but you have an overland map which can visit locations on. If you want to shop then you just need to pop back to the old location (and hope it hasnt been overrun).

The GC one is my favourite. I just kind of clicked with Ike. It starts off quite basic but as the missions progress you are given more and more options.

The missions also seem to have more variety to them. It's also got some lovely cell shaded cut scenes. You also have skills you can assign to the characters and the bonus XP which is really handy for keeping less able characters upto pace.

People always disagree on which Fireemblem is best. Personally I'd buy a GC and a GBA player, then you can play GBA games on the gamecube.

478327[/snapback]