The Truth At Last...

Bobba Fett

That's one thing I thought was pretty silly about that star trek show... here they had an enemy that could adapt to any energy weapon...

...I don't see them adapting to a rapid fire sub machinegun or slug rounds. :p

I always thought trek was sci fi :p and that 2001 was more of an inspiration to GL than roddenberry. Without SW, trek would not have been revived, its like an incestuous circle of inspiration. Stargate does trek better than trek nowadays.

I wouldnt place firefly in the extreme sci fi end of the continuum.

I am confused about what constitutes sci fi. What criteria must be met?

Science = SF.

Romantic (i.e. "swashbuckling") with space ships = Space Opera.

Basically when the universe is more similar than the fiction is more SF: the more fantasy elements, the less like our universe the fiction is. So if the author introduces one new concept, like AI, and then uses this to explore how the world interacts with it, then I would score that higher on SF.

That's how I see it, anyhow, but I don't think it's going to be a question on University Challenge anytime soon, so feel free to adopt your own view. It's healthy!

SW certainly got the Trek movies the green light. ST:TOS predates 2001 and SW by a couple of years and a decade, respectively.

Trek was the first show EVER to hit (without consciously aiming for :p"), and demonstrate the value of knowing, a specific demographic.

With this in mind, it was not long before the cogs of the various Hollywood producers started to crank and grind, leading (in part, anyways) to the "vapid sequels" mentality we have now.

There were lots of other SF serials, though. Quatermass and even Doctor Who blazed a trail beforehand.

Trek was just the US catching up with the avante-guard. :D

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT