Football picks (american football)

kumquatq3

Guest Fishboot

I couldn't believe how spongy the Pittsburgh secondary looked against New England. Brady seemed to be hitting recievers at will, although with the normal camera setup you can't see jack about what's going on in the secondary.

On another note, I hope Darren Sproles (the 5'6" RB/kick returner for the Chargers from Kansas State) gets some more shots at running the ball - he shot out like a bullet in that 20+ yard run he got (his only rush attempt), and if he hadn't bumped into Osgood he probably would have gotten a touchdown. He has some insane wheels - I dunno if such a small guy could hold up for a season even in a tandem RB setup, but he's very exciting to watch.

Edited by Fishboot

I couldn't believe how spongy the Pittsburgh secondary looked against New England. Brady seemed to be hitting recievers at will, although with the normal camera setup you can't see jack about what's going on in the secondary.

On another note, I hope Darren Sproles (the 5'6" RB/kick returner for the Chargers from Kansas State) gets some more shots at running the ball - he shot out like a bullet in that 20+ yard run he got (his only rush attempt), and if he hadn't bumped into Osgood he probably would have gotten a touchdown. He has some insane wheels - I dunno if such a small guy could hold up for a season even in a tandem RB setup, but he's very exciting to watch.

Sproles did a good job, but why on earth would anyone ever take any touches away from LT, even for him?

They have a good safety and thats it. They like to blitz alot to keep their Cornerbacks from getting exposed, but they'll continue to lose to teams that have good o-line, good defense, and a good QB. Luckily for them, therte are only a few teams like that

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Guest Fishboot
Sproles did a good job, but why on earth would anyone ever take any touches away from LT, even for him?

Well, I'm more of a Sproles fan than a Chargers fan (loved him at Kansas State, which the annoucers called Kent State for some reason). I'm sure they can find a few places to fit him in, third downs here and there. Even if not, I can still *wish* he'd get more chances.

NFL coaches always have the defenses sit back and play soft in the 4th quarter. I am a firm believer that all a "Prevent" defense does is prevent you from winning the game.

That is why QB's always look so much better in the 2 minute drill. People stop playing defense. I'll never understand it.

Cincinnati at Chicago: Chicago (Da Bears!)

Cincinnati is overrated from playing 2 weak teams.  Chicago is the real deal.

*cough, cough*

LOL! I

Edited by Ellester

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Better luck next time kumquatq3. If you want to feel any better the Bears kicked Cinci's butt the last time we played.  :-

The game was rigged. Rigged I tell's ya. We'll see you in the Super Bowl :lol:

I'm 8 for 13 (three of my loses were by 3 points or less, damn you Miami)

all I need now is a Denver upset

Guest Fishboot

All the sportswriters in SI talk about Kurt Warner like he's a complete flake. I don't understand why he's much of an upgrade over McCown - he's not particularly accurate or strong, he's got lead feet and a slow release. I think he's pretty exposed now that he isn't playing Martzball with Marshall Faulk in his prime. And it's not like they just need a "steady" veteran to manage a rushing offense like Dilfer did for the Ravens - they have nothing at RB and a mediocre defense. At least McCown has upside.

Dante Culpepper has to be the greatest story in pro-sports. To think someone with down syndrome and giantnormus disease could QB a real NFL team.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

John Elway played his entire career missing vital cartilage in both his knees. He was told he shouldn't have been able to play football in high school and that one good hit would cripple him for life.

Not only was he a HoF QB, but he loved to scramble and compete, even if it meant sacrificing his body.

Evander Holyfield boxes with a hole in his heart. One good punch to the chest and he dies. Not to mention that it makes any cardio work more difficult for him.

Ronnie Lott chopped off one of his fingers that was broken so he wouldn't miss a game.

There are plenty of stories like that.

Well, I think Pennington's career is over, at least with the Jets.

And I thought I made a good fantasy pick with Lavernius Coles. :huh: I now have to drop him, because there is no longer a quarterback to throw him the ball.

Heck if Felder were not injured also the jets wouldn't be so bad off, but now they have to go to the third string QB. The Jets are in real trouble.

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

The Jets are a real mystery to me. As far a roster goes, in my mind they are probaly in the bottom half of all NFL teams as far as talent goes, but seemily because the players love their coach and go out there and give so much effort they are expected to win alot. But when they lose everyone wants to blame Herm Edwards instead of the GM. I would love to see Herm get fired, and take over in Houston.

As far as Pennington's future goes, it all really depends on the draft. Teams don't usually just throw away winning QBs unless theyt have someone else in particuliar in mind.

The Jets are a real mystery to me. As far a roster goes, in my mind they are probaly in the bottom half of all NFL teams as far as talent goes, but seemily because the players love their coach and go out there and give so much effort they are expected to win alot. But when they lose everyone wants to blame Herm Edwards instead of the GM. I would love to see Herm get fired, and take over in Houston.

As far as Pennington's future goes, it all really depends on the draft. Teams don't usually just throw away winning QBs unless theyt have someone else in particuliar in mind.

What has he won, though, really?

Plus, he's starting to show a glass jaw. He's out for a whole season now, and he was doing rather poorly before that. Tack on injuries from past seasons, and you've got a guy who's not worth holding on to.

• 2 weeks later...

How bad is the NFC North?:

1. There are 3 teams that have more wins than the entire division.

2. There are 5 teams that have just as many wins

3. Most impressively in my eyes: For two weeks running, the team that has had a Bye has ended up leading the division at weeks end due to the other teams sucking....

................................................................................

Lots of good matchups this week, as in evenly pitted teams, imo

New Orleans at Green Bay: Green Bay! They can't lose 5 in a row, right?

Seattle at St. Louis: Seattle, but not liking the pick

Tennessee at Houston: Tennesse.

New England at Atlanta: New England.

Miami at Buffalo: Miami

Chicago at Cleveland: Chicago. REVENGE of Illinois!

Baltimore at Detroit: Baltimore. Is Garcia healthy yet?

Tampa Bay at NY Jets: T.B.

Indianapolis at San Francisco: Colts

Carolina at Arizona: Carolina

Washington at Denver: Denver

Philadelphia at Dallas: Upset. Dallas

Cincinnati at Jacksonville: Jags

Pittsburgh at San Diego: oooooo, um....hmmm...Pitts

Edited by kumquatq3