Civ 4 Multiplayer Info

alanschu

I might just go for this one. I hope the design team isn't as interested in beating its collective chest and more interested in providing a great game. I've been a huge fan of the Civ series. Here's hoping this game actually ships with multiplayer and doesn't decide to put it in an expansion.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Given the interviews and discussions I've made, it sounds like they learned their mistake with regards to multiplayer in Civ 3.

Still, I have high hopes. I like the pseudo Play-by-Email design, where if everyone is online, it plays like a standard MP game, but once someone has to leave, it can still be played via email.

Awh Why does everyone like being Germany ...

Well it seems the designers have decided to create the game first for a multi player interface then for solo action so hopefully its alot better and doesn't take forever either

and I guess they won't have that stupid polluntion squares , man I hated those

Guest Fishboot

I don't understand exactly why they want to fit 4X games with multiplayer. It's a terrible system for competition (mainly because the game has so much momentum - in a lot of cases you're losing in turn 200 because of a mistake you made in turn 3), I'd assume frustratingly slow, and very dependent on luck (a good starting position and a clear lane of expansion is as good as a win). I guess there aren't many options for cerebral competitive multiplayer out there outside of chess, but surely something like a turn-based squad tactics game would be better suited.

I'm willing to give it a try anyhow, Fish. I don't have to win and, should it become apparent that someone has reached critical mass, then we can always start a new one. I used to play a lot of HoMM on the lan, and that was another game where you could determine the winner pretty early most of the time.

I always like to play England, but I'm not keen on being on an island. So, random map, I call England.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Yeah, I'm looking forward to this one. I'm not really a multiplayer gamer, but this one should be good enough to take a shot at.

I always did enjoy Civ, and this one sounds like it will live up to the series. But I do agree with Elder said, that they should focus on making a good game, not to live up to the name. Fortunatly, from what I've heard, that's exactly what the designers have done.

"Working for Davik was like driving a spike in the side of your head. Sure, you got something new up there, but in the end, you've lost something as well." - Canderous

"But I though Jedi weren't allowed to love." - Handmaiden

"But some do it anyway. We call it pulling a Bindo." - The Exile

Don't trust him! The filthy swine is still dodging my requests for a Close Combat game! :sorcerer:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm game. I'm a big fan of Civ3 but from what i have heard the multiplayer was horrible. But then again I don't know because I never tried it. But this is tentative to the fact that I have money and don't find another game which I might buy. The graphics are looking great.

Shotgun Greece.

Hmmmm....to be honest I can't remember.

I think they still have the "Militaristic, Expansionist" etc. traits between nations.

Civ 3 had unique units based on your country. Rome had Legions (stronger swordsmen), France had Musketeers and Germany had Panzers I think. Each trait also had a specific bonus that went with it, from Industrious civs having workers who improved terrain faster to Scientific civs who got a bonus tech every age.

Yes I remember all that.

I haven't heard whether or not they have or have not included those, but I'm betting on not.

I heard that they were going for less units this time, but the ability to specialize them in a huge variety of ways as they gain experience instead.

Maybe some of the bonus' will be civ specific.

Yes I remember all that.

I haven't heard whether or not they have or have not included those, but I'm betting on not.

I heard that they were going for less units this time, but the ability to specialize them in a huge variety of ways as they gain experience instead.

Maybe some of the bonus' will be civ specific.

Kinda like Alpha Centauri? :)

WHat do you mean?

Alpha Centauri had customizable units in that you could set the attack power, defense, and whatnot.

I don't think Civ 4 is the same way. It's more like having less overall units, but still having the Phalanx, Rifleman, etc. etc. (Although no more defense and offense stat, just an overall power stat), but as they level up you can state things like +bonus to defense, +bonus city attack, +bonus city defense, etc.

WHat do you mean?

Alpha Centauri had customizable units in that you could set the attack power, defense, and whatnot.

I don't think Civ 4 is the same way.  It's more like having less overall units, but still having the Phalanx, Rifleman, etc. etc. (Although no more defense and offense stat, just an overall power stat), but as they level up you can state things like +bonus to defense, +bonus city attack, +bonus city defense, etc.

Ah okay. That cleared it up. Thanks. :)

Both the previews I have read have stressed the importance of keeping veteran units alive, as their bonuses can be pretty useful if they've gained a huge amount of levels. It also makes "turtling" a little less viable, as I don't know how much you can level up (if at all) with no combat experience.

But you can make a great city defender by having +bonus city defense and +bonus defense, which stacks up for an impressive defender of cities. I imagine Town Walls will give it's usual bonus as well.

I don't like the sound of turtling. :ph34r:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.