Conscious Living

WITHTEETH

They would also have been in classical Greek. You should be careful when bluffing in classical Greek since it construction is not the same as most everyday modern languages. Or so I'm told.

Metacognition is certainly a good thing. If that is what you mean. Links to succesful completion, and expertise in many tasks. However, anecdotally I can say it can also be a hindrance. Sometimes the zen ideal of acting without thinking can be superior.

Are you cautioning me? :ermm:

Because, although I'm no classics scholar, I have read a lot of philosophy from many and varied sources, so I don't just make wild comments: especially about Socractes. I have read Plato's Republic (Penguin English translation), as well as a few other sources (like Bertrand Russell's History of Modern Philosophy), so I'm not just making stuff up.

I was just making some conversation, but I can quote chapter and verse, as necessary.

:)

And yes, my comment was to do with metacognition, and that is why I stated:

Perhaps that is the best criterion. The ability to ask the Socratic question "who am I, and why?".

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Ah, now I understand. I think. I didn't understood what you meant by the term "conscious living" before. I'd never heard such a term until now.

So the question, as I understand it then, would be what the criteria are by which we can define something as being aware of both itself and its environment, independent of subconscious base instinct, yes?

If that is the question, then I would have to say that I can't think of such criteria. It would be pretty difficult for anyone but the self to establish that said self is aware of itself and its thoughts. I would say that self-awareness is a nebulous concept that we can only recognise either when we see it or when we don't. It is one of those things which one cannot define adequately, but can easily concieve of. Like describing the colour red. Most people know what it looks like, but describing it is damn near impossible. I think one runs into a similar problem with Self-awareness.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Meta: I was seconding your caution, rather than trying to upbraid you. Our friend here might have been tempted to quote you, as you said, and I was saying another reason why they should not try. Having been coaught out in this fashion me'self.

Metacognition, does it use resources otherwise necessary for executing actions?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ah, now I understand.  I think.  I didn't understood what you meant by the term "conscious living" before.  I'd never heard such a term until now.

So the question, as I understand it then, would be what the criteria are by which we can define something as being aware of both itself and its environment, independent of subconscious base instinct, yes?

If that is the question, then I would have to say that I can't think of such criteria.  It would be pretty difficult for anyone but the self to establish that said self is aware of itself and its thoughts.  I would say that self-awareness is a nebulous concept that we can only recognise either when we see it or when we don't.  It is one of those things which one cannot define adequately, but can easily concieve of.  Like describing the colour red.  Most people know what it looks like, but describing it is damn near impossible.  I think one runs into a similar problem with Self-awareness.

Ah, well you'v just outlined the basic tenets of Existentialism and some more mainstream philosophies, as well.

For instance, Ren

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Ah, now I understand.  I think.  I didn't understood what you meant by the term "conscious living" before.  I'd never heard such a term until now.

If that is the question, then I would have to say that I can't think of such criteria.  It would be pretty difficult for anyone but the self to establish that said self is aware of itself and its thoughts.  I would say that self-awareness is a nebulous concept that we can only recognise either when we see it or when we don't.  It is one of those things which one cannot define adequately, but can easily concieve of.  Like describing the colour red.  Most people know what it looks like, but describing it is damn near impossible.  I think one runs into a similar problem with Self-awareness.

Ah, well you'v just outlined the basic tenets of Existentialism and some more mainstream philosophies, as well.

For instance, Ren

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

That is in fact a common theme for all of human society: the desire to get out of one's skull.

Even children do it; watch them spin around until they become so dizzy they fall over, temporarily senseless. :D

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

That is in fact a common theme for all of human society: the desire to get out of one's skull.

Even children do it; watch them spin around until they become so dizzy they fall over, temporarily senseless. :D

Very true. There was a time where I blacked out and woke up with a shower cubical door on my head and it was one of the most interesting experiences of my life. Obviously, it was rather traumatic at the time, but the strange sort of half-awareness half-hallucination that went along with it was amazing, in hindsight. Having never been so much as drunk, auditory hallucinations, loss of sight and lack of control was almost thrilling.

The fact that it miraculously didn't hurt might be a contributing factor to my favourable memory of it. I certainly don't harbour similar memories for when I ran down a hill spinning, became dizzy, fell down and whacked my head on the concrete. Losing all the other senses didn't make up for retaining pain. :lol:"

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I regularly get very dizzy when I stand up quickly (must be failing circulation in the old corpse), which is indeed intriguing.

If you are very ill, say with fever or 'flu, then you can have a very out-of-body experience, too (called cognitive dissonance).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Meta: I'm not sure dissonance really is what you are experiencing when you stand up too quickly. Dissonance is more like the feeling you get when you try to reconcile self-interest with having stayed up for 48 hours playing MMORPGs.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I've had typhoid, paratyphoid, japanese encephalitis, and some non-specific stuff, and I'd say they knock sleep deprivation into a ****ed hat.

-Elwood Blues

I've had typhoid, paratyphoid, japanese encephalitis, and some non-specific stuff, and I'd say they knock sleep deprivation into a ****ed hat.

I'd beg to differ.

You are probably free to differ. However, I would argue that the ver yfact that one may escape sleep deprivation by going to sleep, but you can't escape tropical fevers so easily makes it worse.

And for you relevance monkeys, I think this relates by the fact that we are talking about situations where meta-consciousnes is vital, because your senses are lying to you.

-Elwood Blues

I'd beg to differ.

You are probably free to differ. However, I would argue that the ver yfact that one may escape sleep deprivation by going to sleep, but you can't escape tropical fevers so easily makes it worse.

Not always.

What would it be like to live life fully, instead of just merely existing?

I expect it would be like this

index-1.gif

-Elwood Blues

haha!! i like it! classic

So to be aware of everything. Your shoes the pakistani children made. The ciggerette warning on the box. To come out of the cave and leave your comfert zone. Thats where the matrix went wrong, we don't walk out, we get dragged out kicking and screaming till we realize whats going on, unless we dont realize then we run back in.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig