Define "Roleplaying Game"

BicycleOfDeath

"Volourn, you were waiting for someone to disagree, wern't you"

When it comes to posting on the 'net, that wait is never long. =]"

I could start a thread with any topic and take any side of that topic, and one galoot would auto disagree.

I could say my computer desk is green, and I'm sure someone would pop in and say it's blue. R00fles!

P.S. Now, that i pointed out, no one will disagree just to prove me wrong. LOL :D

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Why have someone else give you a definition in the first place? The original poster asked that we define it for ourselves. I define it broadly based on long standing consensus.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Well, he said that a roleplaying game, by definition, is a game that lets you play a role.

I suspect his "definition" is just the words involved in the statement, which is hardly a definition at all.

His example was like "Baseball" or "Football". I think everyone would be surprised if either term was the word for deep sea diving.

Why have someone else give you a definition in the first place?  The original poster asked that we define it for ourselves.  I define it broadly based on long standing consensus.

The reason why I ask is because he comes in stating matter-of-factly that it's, "by definition," a game that lets the user play a role.

I just asked him where he found this defacto definition that lets him say "by definition."

His example was like "Baseball" or "Football". I think everyone would be surprised if either term was the word for deep sea diving.

Ironically, American Football is rarely played with the feet...

Even so, we still play American football by foot, even if not primarily.

Yes, I think Vol's definition is particularly broad. I think it's broad for a purpose, and that purpose was fulfilled. Still, there's something to be said for Vol's definition. Perhaps more than he originally intended to be said.

In one way or another, an RPG must be related to playing a role. The specifics are the source of argument here.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The problem with his definition is that it's all encompassing. What game do you not play as a role? Whether it be "chess player" or "The Nameless One?"

American Football may have parts of the game played by foot, but it's still a misleading name. A game of football could realistically be played by never kicking the ball outside of the opening kickoffs. It's usage for the Western Soccer makes more sense. I wonder how it came to get its name. And yes, us Canadians call it soccer :)

The problem with his definition is that it's all encompassing.  What game do you not play as a role?  Whether it be "chess player" or "The Nameless One?"

American Football may have parts of the game played by foot, but it's still a misleading name.  A game of football could realistically be played by never kicking the ball outside of the opening kickoffs.  It's usage for the Western Soccer makes more sense.  I wonder how it came to get its name.  And yes, us Canadians call it soccer :thumbsup:

There's lots of games where you don't play a role, at least in real life. In games like Chess, or Backgammon, you're just yourself playing a game. When you play chess, you don't play the role of a Chess player, because you actually are a chess player, by virtue of playing chess. Unlike with, say, D&D where one would pretend to be a Wizard, rather than actually becoming one by virtue of playing the game.

A term like Role Playing Game, at least with respect to its pen and paper versions, simply distinguishes those games where we act out a role from those games where we are simply being ourselves playing a game we are trying to win.

The problem comes when we start including the other attributes of pen and paper role playing games, ones that have nothing to do with them actually being RPGs, and begin assigning them as the required attributes of a role playing game on the computer. The problem, of course is that using it's strict and literal definition, pretty much every computer game is a role playing game. Yet on the other hand, the definition of role playing game that many others advance has very little to do with playing a role.

I would contend that the broad definition is the correct one, and that computer games from Mario to Zelda to GTA3 are role playing games. I would contend that if a game being part of the genre of computer games that we call role playing games has very little to do with actually playing a role, and is instead to do with something else such as statistic based gameplay, then the genre is misnamed.

If a first person shooter revolves around shooting people from a first person view, and a turn based strategy revolves around enacting a strategy to win the game in a turn based environment, shouldn't a genre that is defined by stat-based gameplay be called statistic-based games?

The term "roleplaying game", in my opinion, is not a genre of games, nor should it be. It is an umbrella as wide as computer game or board game, far larger than that of a simple genre.

If the term roleplaying game is stretched so broad that it's a near tautology (at least in computer games, as the broad definition would still have use to distinguish real world games), and the genre defined by stat based gameplay is renamed something more precise (like Statistic based game, or Statistic Based Adventure), then discussion of what a roleplaying game is in computer games becomes unecessary, we can all smile and agree, we can stop arguing, and go have a nice cup of tea and some biscuits instead. :wub:

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

If we go by Sawyer's or Kaftan's definition then 20 years of classic RPGs suddenly aren't RPGs at all, while the entire litany of the classic Adventure genre suddenly becomes RPGs.

The adventure game genre is certainly close to RPG, its an example of genres that melt together over time.

But I dont understand your argument that "classic" RPGs wouldnt be considered RPGs anymore. Unless your talking about the old DOS roguelikes, which were much more like adventure boardgames(like Heroquest or Talisman) than RPGs in the first place.

edit:

and the question of "playing a character or playing as yourself through an onscreen avatar in the gameworld" is a real classic one, we had two lectures about it last week. Let me get my notes and Ill get back to you on that.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

My understanding of RPGs was that you had a character, that is a sole character in a game who starts with a role. (One character can have many roles, like having two or three classes). I thought that the difference between RPG games and strategy games was that in the latter, roles are usually fixed. Star Wars Battlefront looked like a strategy game to me, as the functions of each team were not necessarily specific nor flexible.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

Why should you care if the genre itself is long dead?

I mean, as long as there are fun games out there that are supported by their respective companies.

As for my "all-encompassing" statement, I was referring to computer games. And isn't "yourself" a role in and of itself? Why does a role have to be different from how you are?

Reveilled gave such a good explanation of my thoughts that I'll just voice my agreement with his statement.

Obsidian Plays