Hurricane!

Walsingham

Yah, OK. Scientific notion for you, hotshot. If Christianity is to blame for people behaving like twits, then why is it people of every religion and stripe have behaved in similar ways?

I am also suprised, for a scholar of Christianity that you seem determined to ignore the many wonderful kind and altruistic things that Christians have done.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I not only look at the actions, but the motivations behind those actions. The act itself is irrelevant. It is the motivations which guides and fuels the actions is what matters. Oh, don't get me wrong, I have a severe dislike for all organized religions, I just have to deal with Christianity the most. :-"

I think it is fair to say we aren't going to shift one another's views today, and have explored our stands quite enough. I propose we move on from this debating point in a gentlemanly fashion.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Agreed.

Oh, Foamy the Squirrel has a few comments about the hurricane. 

http://www.illwillpress.com/

It is very well written and hits the mark quite well.

He didn't have any comments about the hurricane. Just a bunch of ranting about medicinal marijuana. :blink:

-Elwood Blues

Guest Fishboot

I also got the medical marijuana bit, which sounded like Bizzaro Bill Hicks 1989. I like you H1, but that website is terrible. Were you being ironic?

The problem is that damage costs are not just related to the strength of the storm; the number of structures that will need to be replaced climb out of sight in areas where the structures are very old or not built with storm possibilities in mind. (That's why in poorer areas of the world there is such tremendous loss.) You can't avoid all damage, but some can be minimized. In Florida (where I live) the construction codes have evolved somewhat--in certain low areas, any new house must be on stilts. To my mind, wood-frame construction is just silly. And staying in one of those houses in the pictures during a Cat 5? Never. But that's what many people did. Too many.

Evacuations are almost impossible to enforce. Old people often refuse to leave the home they've lived in for 60 years, and many folks just don't believe it can happen to them. No one wants to be responsible for calling in the military to sweep people out of their homes, when hurricanes can and often do abruptly change directions.

This city was not prepared. But I bet it will be next time (yes, there will be a 'next time.')

What I find shameful is the looting. Food and water, I can understand. But electronics (no electricity, duh), guns and drugs?

I'm with the folks who wished they'd visited 'old' NO when they had the chance. A whole lot is going to change.

Yes, it is shameful, but it is to be expected.  Its the most natural of human nature, greed.

I suppose. And all it takes is one to lead the flock. But even with Andrew (I worked rescue for that one) SoFl didn't degenerate into the kind of war zone the news is talking about.

Wow, gas hit $3 a gallon for the weak-tea variety. What do you want to bet it never goes back down?

Not only do the fools have no electricity for the moment, most of their houses are gone. Why loot a plasma TV when it's just going to be destroyed in transit?

On the other hand, as kalimeeri says, if my family were thirsty and hungry, I'd loot food and water. I'd rather pay, but it's not like there are cashiers in the store ready to take money anyhow.

Of course, of the things I consider worth risking my life, staying in my home in the face of oncoming destruction isn't one of them. My family and I would have been gone a long time before hand.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I would like to see Denmark try to survive her...

Denmark is above sea level, unlike Holland and New Orleans.

Besides, nature doesn't hate us as much as it hates the US. :blink:

Ooops, I said hate, am I going back to moderated status now? :lol:"

whoops wrong country/reigon...

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I would like to see Denmark try to survive her...

Denmark is above sea level, unlike Holland and New Orleans.

Besides, nature doesn't hate us as much as it hates the US. :blink:

Ooops, I said hate, am I going back to moderated status now? :lol:"

whoops wrong country/reigon...

Did you mean Holland then? Why did you think of Denmark? ^_^

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

because I thought Holland was a part of Denmark for some demented reason...

And for all you Holls out there the Nether G GUNDAM!

gf13-066no.jpg

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

"Whya re people keen on blaming humans for NATURAL disasters? I blame Mother Nature. She is the evil one who coldly murders innocent people. She deserves global warming. By the time, global warming actually effects the world ina really signifacnt way I will be either dead, or the human race will be living on other planets so she will suffer in the long run and we won't. A win-win situation as far as I'm concerned. We should stop pampering such a vicious creature like Mother nature."

I do doubt that the human race is actually capable of making Earth inhospitable to all life, and thus are incapable of "hurting" nature in any meaningful way. Sure, it's downright easy to make it inhospitable for humans, but hey, we're a pretty fragile species.

By pampering the vicious creature, we're just making sure it doesn't get mad and bitchslap us to oblivion.

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!