World Of Warcraft rant

Calax

I have a serious problem with people who complain about this mythical "end game".  It takes a TON of hours to reach level 60.  Are those hours somehow painful to you?  Are you just going through the motions to get there?  Do you expect the game to suddenly get better when you reach 60?  Is levelling somehow laborious to you?

It's the journey that's important, not the "end game".  My paladin is level 45, and he's been a blast the whole way.  I've literally played him for the equivalent of 10 days straight.  That's a lot of hours, and I have many more before I reach 60.  He's hard to kill.  But when I reach 60 I won't whine that he's no longer usefull.  I had my fun with him.  If I really don't like using him at 60, I'll simply start another character, because it's the journey that matters in WoW.

Mordechai, the #1 ranked pvper on EU Darksorrow has maybe 40-50 days /played on that character. How many of those days were spent leveling? Perhaps 10.

Face it, leveling is to many a very *small* part of the game. And if you have no concept of what the "end game" is, it seems rather far-fetched that your claims regarding said end game would carry much weight here, now would it? You might find the time you spend as level 60 to be boring, or you might not- but I'd advice you to cross that bridge once you actually get there.

For me, yes, leveling is getting quite boring, as I've already leveled with other characters before. Right now I'm looking forward to Zul'Gurub with my warlock, and after that MC/Onyxia and loads of pvp. And call me crazy, but I find that much more fun than grinding murlocs or doing the same quest over and over again.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

You say levelling is a small part of the game, and then say that a level 60 guy has spent 10 days levelling...

That's 240 hours. How is that a small part of a game? What I'm trying to say is people spend tremendous hours playing these games, and then when they reach the level cap, they complain. You didn't answer any of my questions. Was the journey to level 60 unenjoyable? I also didn't make any claims about the end game. I simply said if I don't enjoy it, I'll start an alt. and focus on him.

It's good to know that Ting is handing out evilness all around. I have admitted before that I have a warped view becaue I haven't actually played with my own char and used my friends lvl 60's, I would think that Paladins would have a incombat rez because they were the only character class in the entirety of Warcraft that was able to ressurect live units. Exsorsism would be better if you did a damage for every ounce of mana that you put into it (like in War2). that way you could kill some of the more "elite" opponents in under two seconds with just paladins. anyway I just made this to get discussion going and it looks like I succeeded.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It's good to know that Ting is handing out evilness all around.

Well, if I act like an arrogant idiot, it's because I care. Or somesuch, anyway. :)

I have admitted before that I have a warped view becaue I haven't actually played with my own char and used my friends lvl 60's, I would think that Paladins would have a incombat rez because they were the only character class in the entirety of Warcraft that was able to ressurect live units.

I think you should keep in mind that WoW isn't Warcraft III and vice-versa, and this extends to gameplay issues and balance as well. Currently only druids have a IC res, and it's on a 30 min cooldown. There are other ways to jump out of combat for drinks/resurrections (soulstone, reincarnation, DI), or you can simply sit out until you're needed as a rezzer.

Exsorsism would be better if you did a damage for every ounce of mana that you put into it (like in War2). that way you could kill some of the more "elite" opponents in under two seconds with just paladins. anyway I just made this to get discussion going and it looks like I succeeded.

Again, se the above point.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

You say levelling is a small part of the game, and then say that a level 60 guy has spent 10 days levelling...

That's 240 hours.  How is that a small part of a game?

It is a small part of a game if you plan on spending over 1000 hours at level 60.

Mosh (the most prominent warlock poster at the official forums) has spent about 18% of his total playtime (if memory server) on one of his characters leveling, for example. Therefore it shouldn't come as a suprise as the quality of the gameplay at level 60 might be a wee bit more important than the gameplay while leveling to some people.

What I'm trying to say is people spend tremendous hours playing these games, and then when they reach the level cap, they complain. 

And why is that so strange? If the complains are warranted (I'm not saying either way, here), it should only be natural to complain over a lack of gameplay that has a very large impact on the game at large rather than over a stage that is over relatively quickly.

It's no different from complaining over that game X has a good tutorial and first stage and then falls apart afterwards.

You didn't answer any of my questions. Was the journey to level 60 unenjoyable?

Quite tedious, as I indeed *did* say in my post. Or wait, the exact wording was "quite boring". Look it up if you don't believe me.

I've played this time since US open beta. The "magic" of being level 2 and whacking kobolds with a rusty sword has been gone for ages. Nowadays insanely hard instances where you're actually challenged (such as MC/BWL) or PvP, because to me, that's where the fun is. And I'm certainly not alone in thinking this way. :)

I also didn't make any claims about the end game.

You said that the endgame was less "important" than the leveling stage of the game. Without having played said endgame, how would you know? Keep in mind that most people say that Guild Wars *starts* at level 20, for example. The same holds true for WoW to quite a lot of people.