morrowind noob help

Walsingham

I am enjoying working for the legion at present. In Ballmora a 'certain' captain has asked me to arrange a bloodbath. I'd like to do this discretely, but me being me i killed every single person suspected of being a tong. Will getting back to the captain allow me to 'clear' my name?

How else could I have done it. taunting the people concerned did not seem to work. Or rather I was succesful and they just sat there taking it, without attacking.

Haylp, oh haylp.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You have to taunt them several times (around 6/7 times) in order to make them attack...

Great quest to up your persuasion. Also, if you taunt, do it around 70/100. Don't worry about the money you need to use to keep it around 70, when they die, you can pick it back up from the corpses...

Taunting, the cheesy way to start fights :p

I don't think I did this mission...

If it's outside, do what I do, levitate out of range "above" them, and then rain fireballs on them.

If you're far enough away, they die and no one "sees" it :)

I once cleaned out Balmora to test that theory. :) (reloading afterwards of course)

If it's outside, do what I do, levitate out of range "above" them, and then rain fireballs on them.

If you're far enough away, they die and no one "sees" it  :)

I once cleaned out Balmora to test that theory.  :) (reloading afterwards of course)

That's rather cheap of you. :darque:

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Guest Fishboot
I am enjoying working for the legion at present. In Ballmora a 'certain' captain has asked me to arrange a bloodbath. I'd like to do this discretely, but me being me i killed every single person suspected of being a tong. Will getting back to the captain allow me to 'clear' my name?

How else could I have done it. taunting the people concerned did not seem to work. Or rather I was succesful and they just sat there taking it, without attacking.

Haylp, oh haylp.

Yeah, to use taunt you have to succeed several times in a small number of attempts. The NPC will say, "That does it!" and attack. I find the process a little bit cheesy/mechanical in most instances, though - I'm pretty sure a pudgy shopkeeper couldn't be goaded into attacking some obviously battle-hardened guy in full daedric platemail, particularly by a guy alternately bribing and taunting him.

In the particular case you mention the guy at the fort will use his influence in the legion to clear you of the murders once you get back to him, although I think other NPCs in the Camonna Tong and House Dres factions will be mad at you henceforth. They're a bunch of slavers and racists, so that's no loss.

If you're far enough away, they die and no one "sees" it  :)

I once cleaned out Balmora to test that theory.  :) (reloading afterwards of course)

That's rather cheap of you. :darque:

I prefer the term strategic. :cool:

if you clear your name BEFORE going back to see the dude he'll give you an extra reward (some book that raises your speechcraft i think...) on top of the "nice present" (ring of surroundings)

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Thanks for all the comeback. In the end I discovered that yes he would clear you, on my own. I think this is superb, since it was a logical thing to do. What was perhaps not quite so logical, but rather fun, was that in my confused travels through the wilds (on the long way round back to the Fort) I managed to kill a very great number of non-Legion guards and sundry others. He cleared me of ALL outstanding warrants, not just ones that were directly relevant.

Events having now moved on, I wonder if I could beg your indulgence in a second question. Making your own spells, and enchanting items with them strikes me as just fantastic. My first enchanted silver warhammer 'Pax Imperialis' knocks out 10-15 lightning charge every swing, and makes the heretics fall down typicallly on the first swing, leading to some severe beatings 'au dirt'. Life is good. However, at a 'certain' location I managed to find a non-enchanted warhammer which packs up to _50_ points of regular damage into every crushing blow. Moreover it can take up to ten points of enchantment, rather than 5. I wondered if you would make your suggestions as to how I could best enhance it.

EDIT: What's wrong with darque's method, BTW? If witnesses only see a shot come whistling out of the darkness how are they going to pin it on you?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

EDIT: What's wrong with darque's method, BTW? If witnesses only see a shot come whistling out of the darkness how are they going to pin it on you?

Nothing. If the witness saw the target die by flaming balls out of the sky...just say it's the wrath of Vivec :lol:

And the hammer:

Additional strenght / Feather could be nice, making it weigh nothing...or less.

I considered paralysis, but to be be honest the simple weight of the hammer itself puts most targets on their knees with the first tap.

Absorb health could be really handy, and I already know the cantrip for it. But I like the notion of the thing weighing less. 75 lbs is a lot of luggage space I need for looting the bodies of dead heretics. I suppose I could always give up Pax Imperialis, my other two handed hammer, but it doesn't seem right, abandoning such a nostalgic weapon. I should also add that Pax Imperialis contains some mucho powerful soul gem, with 300 power i managed to filch completely by chance while practicing my nonexistent sneak skill (6). For some reason it suddenly kicked in, and I thought 'Why not?' and the soul gem was in my pocket. :ph34r: So as a consequence I never need fear running out of juice.

On the subject of soul gems, what kinds of animal can I capture, and what are the guidelines on how powerful they are and what I have to put them in? Do you have any recommendations and rough (no spoilers, please) guides to regions to look in. this because I only have a diseased alit for this new hammer, and that's rather weedy.

-Elwood Blues

There are some interesting ruins on the Northern side of the island ... north of the Crab city and wandering around the Kurts. (I spent a lot of time just exploring the map to see what was out there. Good fun while you are engaged in it, but I think it takes fun from the main quest.)

It is quite dangerous to go wandering around there, though ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I shall check both of those out. However, I seem to be having trouble getting things to go into soul gems. Soultrap fires (I got a mage to put soultrap into a bracer to save money on scrolls), and the swily clouds go round the target. then I kill them, and nothing happens. What gives? i have a range of soul gems ready to go... :thumbsup:

-Elwood Blues

For a powerful soul you need a powerful soul gem. Do you have any Grand soul gems? They hold anything.

Don't forget that there's a time limit on the soultrap spell. I don't think the game tells you when time's up, but you need to be quick.

One thing I tried was to enchant a weapon with soultrap and use that for the killing blow - it worked quite well, even if the enchantment isn't very powerful. Of course, you need to have a soul to enchant it with. :D

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Thanks steve, I just read about that plan. I reckon I'll put the enchantment into something relatively innocuous, like a holy hand-grenade or something, and go from there.

-Elwood Blues

Or make a copy of your favourite spell, then simply add in a 2-second Soul Trap effect or something. That ensures that if you're using that spell, you're soul-trapping at no real additional cost.

As for storage, you realise Morrowind remembers everything you drop on the ground or place somewhere? (Which, of course, can cause gigantic laggage late-game.) Even without the millions of "House" mods...

Galbedir of Balmora Mage Guild pretty much has free soul gems for the taking. I believe one Winged Twilight, one Drema, a slew of otehrs and perhaps an empty Grand.

As for storage, you realise Morrowind remembers everything you drop on the ground or place somewhere? (Which, of course, can cause gigantic laggage late-game.) Even without the millions of "House" mods...

Keep Morrowind Tidy!

Deposit your litter in the containers provided. :(

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

AAAAAAGH! I've been ritually debagging all the heretics I have slain so far! That is, taking off their trousers and leaving them lying around. I figure if I'm supposed to strike fear into the Forces of Darkness then this should doubly scare them. Picture some Morag Tong investigators creeping through the smashed ruins of a guildhouse, their magic lightbeams picking out the pulped corpses left and right...

Tong 1: A force split their heads from behind with a single stroke. Some electrical burns...

Tong 2: It looks like each and every one has had their trousers removed and left folded neatly by their bodies.

Tong 1: My God! What _happened_ here?

Thanks, by the way for the advice on the weapon. I now carry a short stick of judgement. Pax Imperialis batters them to the ground, and while they are all woozy I prod them with the stick.

"Give your soul for the Emperor!"

"Alright! Just quit poking me!"

Thinks: what I really need is something that will stove in their skulls and knock their pants off, AT THE SAME TIME. :ermm:

My new Hammer is well on the way. I have managed to accrue 13k (what is with the lack of gold in this damn game? I'm going to open a bloody mine) and I have a 54K grand soul gem with 280 power. I might hold off on creating it, to see if I can get anything stronger for the power cell. Suggestions?

I have been wondering whether to power Faith (new hammer) with endurance sucking powers. I figure this is probably the most useful trait. Comments? And if I do this, will the endurance suck count against the blow which has jsut been landed, or the next one?

-Elwood Blues

Keep Morrowind Tidy!

Deposit your litter in the containers provided. >_<

Even better would be to put the junk into some random creature you killed.

Kill a random Cliffracer, load the junk into him and after a few days the Racer and everything on him is gone...forever!

... Eaten by another monster. ^_^

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Keep Morrowind Tidy!

Deposit your litter in the containers provided. >_<

Even better would be to put the junk into some random creature you killed.

Kill a random Cliffracer, load the junk into him and after a few days the Racer and everything on him is gone...forever!

... Eaten by another monster. ^_^

Mmmmm... glass armour.

Ender: Dammit, man. Tell me the mod name, or something! :(

EDIT: I found this slightly spoilered link to various traders telling you tehir gold reserves. Handy.

http://www.uesp.net/morrow/hints/mwstores.shtml

Edit 2: Actually, nuts to it. I shall stick as it is. Although it is a pain in the rear, it does add some interest to finding new areas, and reduces the incentive to pointlessly hoard stuff. Besides, I don't really need the money for anything. I don;t use the trainers, and I only need an enchanted hammer.

My one question, which I forgot earlier, is how do I make things permanently in effect? I have tried clicking the button changing used to strike, and it never shows permanent no matter what I put in.

My own advice: instead of lugging about stacks of potions, get a few simple items of clothing enchanted to restore attributes. It costs very little, and even small soul gems hold enough charge for how often you will need them. Ditto for divine intervention scrolls. Just buy or kill for an amulet which does it.

-Elwood Blues