Not a KoTOR 3 thread.....

Carnage

On the other hand, the post-holocaust setting is more than just Fallout.  There may not have been any other great RPGs in this setting, but there's scope for them.  And who's to say what a post-Force holocaust galaxy would look like - it needn't be anything like a post-nuclear holocaust.

I guess I just don't see the Star Wars galaxy as not having the Force. Which may or may not contradict my desire to play as a non-Jedi in a non-Force centric plot, but IMO the difference being I want the Force to exist, I just don't want to be forced to play a character that has access to it or that whose enemies have access to it.

You don't want to be forced to play a Force-Sensitive? But the Force is controlling your destiny, so you have no choice but to be the Force's Force-Sensitive: you are forced!

Seriously, I do understand what you are saying; it is the reaction to the "chosen one" plots, whereby you wish to just be "John Maclane versus Jabba the Hutt", or some such.

Just like in K1, on the Ender Spire (was that the name of the first ship? I never noticed that Ender was there as well!) when you see the Jedi battling the Sith and your PC ... that feeling of being a small cog in the engine.

You have to be escaping from RL responsibility to enjoy that, I would say. The demographic (teenagers) are usually escaping RL where they have all the restrictions of children and all the responsibilities of adults, but none of the perks ... consequently the "chosen one" plots appeal to them above all else.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I might have been one of the only ones, but I enjoyed the Taris level in K1 for the very reason of this thread; I was allowed to play as a non-Force sensitive within the Star Wars universe.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Hmm. I liked the Taris level, but I did enjoy playing as a FS, too. I guess it depends if you get really cool items to play with, and if the combat system is fixed (so that lobbing grenades don't have a 100% hit rate, for example).

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Well, it was still a cool ship.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

We could go for a Mira - Hanharr backstory game, even though we already know where it would leave off - on Nar Shaddaa when the Exile arrives.

Yes, but that's always my problem with prequel stories - we know where they must end up, and so they are frequently uninteresting since the plot is fixed, or else it does something that contradicts the later plot, which is even more annoying.

Phile your forgetting that TECHNICALLY the entire KOTOR line and Comics are all prequils. If you did have an RPG where you wern't a Jedi you would have to do it at either the hight of the empire or shortly thereafter.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Phile your forgetting that TECHNICALLY the entire KOTOR line and Comics are all prequils. If you did have an RPG where you wern't a Jedi you would have to do it at either the hight of the empire or shortly thereafter.

No, I don't think they're really prequels in the sense that you're suggesting. The problem with most prequels is that they have end up fitting with the later events and characters that you know from the stories that are supposed to succeed them, and which you already know.

This not true for KotOR or TotJ because they are so far back in the past that really anything could have happened in between (and probably did...). Note one thing about these stories - they have all been told chronologically. The TotJ comics begin exactly 4000 years before the movies, and each new story happens after the last one. The KotOR games continue down the same timeline, beginning some 30 years after the last comic book. Thus, there is nothing in the plot that is not possible to do because it has to fit with later continuity - it's a (somewhat) smooth line of succession without odd plots forced into the middle of everything, and you have no idea where the plot is going.

After all, one thing that can be annoying in the prequel movie trilogy is the fact that you *know* Anakin will fall to the dark side and become Darth Vader - he simply has to, since the later saga demands it. That means you cannot sit down and be quite so horrified by his bad choices, because you know they're coming, and there can be no shock over it, unlike Ulic murdering his brother or Luke learning that Vader is his father. This reduces the prequel trilogy to being a way for us to see how it really happened, but nothing more than that, because we already know how it *must* turn out...

After all, one thing that can be annoying in the prequel movie trilogy is the fact that you *know* Anakin will fall to the dark side and become Darth Vader - he simply has to, since the later saga demands it. That means you cannot sit down and be quite so horrified by his bad choices, because you know they're coming, and there can be no shock over it, unlike Ulic murdering his brother or Luke learning that Vader is his father. This reduces the prequel trilogy to being a way for us to see how it really happened, but nothing more than that, because we already know how it *must* turn out...

The Force controls the fate of everyone ...

... Unless we rise up and defeat the tyrant, as the tyrannical Force has predicted and sent to us our Prophet, Kreia!

The Anti-Force Force would necessarily be non-Force-Sensitives, as well as somewhat immune to the Force.

Neat way to roll it up in the existing IP, maybe for the sequel trilogy to KotOR ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

... Unless we rise up and defeat the tyrant, as the tyrannical Force has predicted and sent to us our Prophet, Kreia!

The Anti-Force Force would necessarily be non-Force-Sensitives, as well as somewhat immune to the Force.

Neat  way to roll it up in the existing IP, maybe for the sequel trilogy to KotOR ...

So basically you're referring to the Yuuzhan Vong. :blink:"

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

We could go for a Mira - Hanharr backstory game, even though we already know where it would leave off - on Nar Shaddaa when the Exile arrives.

Yes, but that's always my problem with prequel stories - we know where they must end up, and so they are frequently uninteresting since the plot is fixed, or else it does something that contradicts the later plot, which is even more annoying.

My original idea was to have it after the events of KOTOR II, with the canon being Jedi Sentinel Mira spared Hanharr at Malachor V, but then everyone gunned that idea down... I actually think it would be interesting to see a non-FS battle a Jedi, and it could end in several ways. One could be the death of Mira, meaning several things for Hanharr, including closure (his life-debt is over), money (collecting the bounty on Jedi), and possibly fame (the younger Wookiees could end up admiring Hanharr for his bounty hunting skills, as he would then be #1 in the galaxy at that time). The other would be the death of Hanharr, and then Mira would go about doing those acts of kindness as Kreia mentions.

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

No need to care.

It's an EU thing. The writers tried to introduce a new kind of enemy to the mix; an alien race wich doesn't have the force nor does it believe it to exist. They call jedis trixters and are hell-bent on conquering the galaxy. But that goes without saying. :blink:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

So basically you're referring to the Yuuzhan Vong.  :blink:"

If you say so.

Who are they and what is their story (and do I care?).

(Don't try to steal my idea again.)

Actually, they're from another galaxy and were stripped of the Force and can no longer touch it. They rely on an extreme religious belief in gods and are bloodthirsty because that's what they've been taught.

They can't access the Force, and similarly the Jedi cannot see them in the Force because they were completely stripped of the Force (as stupid as that sounds).

Basically, think Star Trek antagonist invades Star Wars galaxy.

Basically, think Star Trek antagonist invades Star Wars galaxy.

I think thats a pretty good summary, in more ways then one

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Actually, they're from another galaxy and were stripped of the Force and can no longer touch it.  ...

They can't access the Force, and similarly the Jedi cannot see them in the Force because they were completely stripped of the Force (as stupid as that sounds).

So I was right, life can exist without the Force.

This proves Kreia was correct, too.

Kreia IS the One True Prophet, the Force needs to be vanquished to restore free will to the galaxy, and the Force has not only foreseen this, but looks forward to it as its own destiny ..!

:cool:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

So I was right, life can exist without the Force.

This proves Kreia was correct, too.

Kreia IS the One True Prophet, the Force needs to be vanquished to restore free will to the galaxy, and the Force has not only foreseen this, but looks forward to it as its own destiny ..!

:cool:

Well it gets complicated (to this day I'm not even sure how it works), but their leader is actually Force sensitive. I got confused in the explanation about why/how they were stripped of the Force what with all the Force sensitive planet, the living spaceships, and the new philosophy on the Force and how there is no DS and LS per se. ;)

I seem to recall something from a Star Wars d20 book I looked at about them being masters of biotechnology; ritually mutilating themselves to gain power or some such. Overall, rather odd beings. From what I understand, half the fans absolutely love them and think theyre the best villians ever; tne other half despise them and the man who created them and believe the Yuuzhan Vong to be the beginning of the downfall of Star Wars.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

in all actuality the Yuzzan Vong are from a living planet called Zonama Sekot. It's in the unknown reigons.Bad story device But it worked didn't it?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.