Diablo III on the rocks

Balance is of equal measure.

If one part is greater than another part of what makes a CRPG then that is out of balance.  Balance is quantitive measurement, not subjective hyperbole.

It's not a quantitative measurement when each of those individual sums don't have an actual value associated with them.

You can't just say a game needs 33.33% story, 33.33% combat, 33.33% rules system when you can't accurately give a numerical representation of what "story", "combat" and "rules system" is.

All three are subjective in terms of what each of them is defined by by various individuals. Because as it is, most cRPGs have all 3 elements. So then it becomes subjective about which of of those cRPGs have the proper balance of those 3 elements.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

In that case, I contend that TOEE is not a CRPG...too much focus on rules.

PS:T....Too much focus on story

IWD series, too much focus on combat.

Which is a perfect example of how Hades' theory just doesn't hold water, since different people place more weight/emphasis on different things and thus judge "balance" differently.

To say one game is "more" of a cRPG than another based on what that individual judges balance on is, IMO, very arrogant.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I'd say that if the game has some element of the three things Hades mentioned, you could easily argue it can be defined as a cRPG.

*note: "some element" implies a noticeable element. Not just some superficial "yeah there's kinda-sorta-maybe a story in there" type thing.

Oh, common now.  Baldur's Gate 2.  It had the best balance of story, combat, and rules than any other would be CRPG out there.

In terms of balance I think that's fair even to say - even though personally I prefer the turn based combat from FO's, the real-time combat from JE, and the story from PS:T. :D

manthing2.jpg

So there's one CRPG out there?

Well, one perfect CRPG but I perfer Fallout 1 and 2, and PS:T over it. :ermm:

Nope, sorry. Those are my three favorites and I called dibs on them first. And everyone knows you can't argue with the universal power of dibs.

---

Also: I'm going to disagree with Alanshu that too little emphasis was put on the story in FO. The story was there - you just had to discover it yourself. Sure, if you went through the whole game on a killing-spree witthout fully understanding the plot at hand, you may feel skimped in terms of story. But if you extracted info from the right folks and data discs, then the story was clear, present and coherent.

Furthermore, it exacerbated the control factor on the character, not the player; which is good. I prefer having to discover the story for myself rather than have a bit of story cram-fisted down my throat upon gaining a level. >_<

manthing2.jpg

Hade's definition would exclude about 80-90% of the games called RPG by the industry.

Honestly, the only real definition of a CRPG is a game with stat-based gameplay and a narrative structure.

If story was the major defining aspect of a CRPG then Splinter Cell is suddenly an RPG.