F.E.A.R. Demo Coming

alanschu

Guest Fishboot
I dont know what it is, but in horror games, you just seem to be on edge most of the time, then when something just jumps out, it still scares the crap out of you!!

I actually find one of the payoffs of horror games like RE or D3 is that eventually you break through that mental zone of tension where you're on edge waiting for scares - eventually your mind acclimatizes to the stress and you start operating on this mental plane where your amygdyla shuts up and you can operate mostly reasonably again. It's a unique sensation.

What is it about a little girl with no expression on her face as being the defacto most terrifying thing I can think of.  I imagine Satan him(her?)self is portrayed as an expressionless little girl that walks in a creepy manner.

She creeps me out :(

Very Japanese contemporary horror mythos ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yeah, I've played through it too now. I really liked what I saw, even though it's just another FPS. Very intense fights (the volumetric smoke helps a lot) with bullet holes that are actually making a dent in the objects (not only an extra texture added like a stamp on top of whatever you hit), lots of objects flying around (with realistic physics), scary moments, GREAT lighting and real-time realistic shadowing. They're also using lots of different shaders (realistic skin, wood and concrete for example) to great effect. My poor, aging computer didn't like it much (had to run it in 800x600 to be able to use FSAA and max effects) but I need reasons to upgrade anyhow.

I must be the easiest person in the world to scare because I nearly crapped my pants when, near the end of the demo,

the little girl appeared above you as you were heading down a ladder. The girl didn't scare me because I just slid down quick as hell, but when I turned to run away a MAN came floating towards me!

I almost died from shock.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I tell you what, I jumped up right away to shoot that little swine hearted schoolgirl. By the time I had my weapon ready, she had just disappeared. When I got to the bottom and turned to see the murderous fellow, I actually had time to put several rounds through his chest before he disappeared. If I were better, the shots would have been through his head.

Anyhow, slowmo is cool, but it's not as awesome as the slowmo in Painkiller.

On the other hand, the FEAR demo had a huge selection of weapons for such a small area. I liked the ending, where I also put a few slugs into the bad guy before the demo ended. I wonder if he killed me and that's what ended the demo. I didn't see myself taking any damage, but he looked like a real bruiser. I wonder if he managed to get a one shot kill on me.

The game is spooky. I might have to buy it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Hmm...what both Doom 3 and FEAR seem to get wrong is the use of suspense. Let's put it this way; what can't see and don't know is a lot more scary than in-your-face-stunts. Granted, FEAR does know how to build up the scariness; but when the enemy is revealed right from the start; is quite human-like(the giggling :wub:) and is shown times and times again towards the end; the whole well-built-cathedral of scares just topples down. Also, you can use a huge arsenal of uber-weaponry. Playing as one man army, when compared to let's sayyy... a weak thief/regular schmuk/investigator isn't all that fear-mongering.

That creepy corridor scene was weird in a good way; but after what most of us players have seen during our, so to say, carieers; little red riding hoods and lots of gore just isn't enough. Each time I saw that brat my intinct was to tell it to shut up and fight fairly. That bitch. :x

Well, I grew up playing Thief. No can do.

For the record; Undying and Bloodlines managed to scare me more then usual; but in both the scares just ded after so many boos and gotchas, your sesses just dampen them out. Furthermore; after you progressed you become more and more powerful, effectively wiping out armies of monsties and paranormal entities. I mean really; why would a full-fledged bloodsucking monster/fated warrior wielding a soul-sucking scythe and celtic rune magic fear some ghosts?

Pfft; target practice.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Perry Bible Fellowship 4evah!

Edit: Now that you mention it, GoA...

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Ive been meaning to pick up Undying. It was mentioned as the #1 Most Underrated Game in an IGN article, I think. I haven't seen it since then at Best Buy, maybe I'll try Ebay.

System Shock 1 and 2 were also mentioned in the article. I was trying ty find a link, but no luck. I think it was actually GAmeSpy now that I think about it.

....off to DL the demo....

As capable of inconvenience, and of some damage and debt to those that would act against my interests, I cannot f*^ng argue with dangerous.

System Shock 2 is on the-underdogs.org as an abandonware game.

off to pick up that as well

As capable of inconvenience, and of some damage and debt to those that would act against my interests, I cannot f*^ng argue with dangerous.

My impressions of the F.E.A.R demo is as follows:

It's damn neat, hehe. It ran decently with most of the stuff at maximum and 1k resolution (9800 pro), but I ended up with cranking down some stuff to medium and playing at 0.8k resolution anyway, because it lagged a bit in some areas.

Anyway, blah blah blah, in the trailers I saw the character jump and make kicks... I wondered how to do this and messed around a bit...

And I found out that if you jump (in ANY direction) and press the melee attack button (I think it's unassigned by default) the character jumps and makes a series of kicks. This kills the normal grunts instantly and makes them fly like HELLUVA!

Instead of sneaking around and dodging I just ran right smack into the middle of them grunts and kicked and shot like a damn right bastard. It was totally chaotic, and to tell you the truth I didn't loose any more health than I did taking cover. In some cases I even lost less. Plus they scream in F.E.A.R of me.

There's also this slide thing... if you jump then press the crouch and melee attack key at the same time he makes a slide kick.

Seriously, the whole kicking thing made the action really upbeat and highly raised my opinion of the demo. The guy's a friggen ninja, I tell ya!

Note however that the guy in armor bitch-slaps you if you try kicking him.

The real downer for me was that the weapons felt... I dunno... thin. I'm not sure if it's the sounds or whatnot. But the kicking MAN, THE KICKING!!!1''

EDIT: Seriously, the guy TAP DANCE on their FACES! :ph34r:

System Shock 2 is on the-underdogs.org as an abandonware game.

Seriously? I was on there and I didn't see it.

linkie (fourth one down)

The engine of the game is gorgeous.

And I like it when the game engine still renders your character.  One thing that I thought was silly in Doom 3 was that I didn't cast a shadow.

Ha! Considering the big deal for Doom 3 was its rendering of shadows! :)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT