Nintendo Profits Down 78.5%

Sad to see Nintendo continuing to slide down hill. I'm old enough to remember when the original 8 bit console was a must have item. Still, I don't find it surprising. I'd much rather have my PS2 and computer than the hardware Nintendo is currently offering. There aren't as many games in their library and up until the release of the Revolution none of the games have been backwards compatible to earlier versions of the hardware.

The biggest problem I think Nintendo has is the focus on child gamers. Games aren't just for kids anymore. Theres a growing demand for mature titles (Grand Theft Auto series for example). Games are now for people of many ages and of many tastes. Nintendo doggedly refuses to adapt to the changing console climate, though it did make a few noticeable exceptions for the Gamecube. This, more than anything, will contribute to Nintendo's continued collapse in my opinion.

Atari went from being the entire console industry to comepletely going out of business.

Nintendo really better do something right in the next generation. With their handheld market and franchises, I don't see how they can go out of business anytime soon, but they might become irrelevant in the home console market unless the Revolution is a grand slam.

KILL THE MUTANT

Someone had to do that.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

*sigh*

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Corporations can post a big quarterly loss, or have their revenue/profit be down significantly compared to comparable quarters, and still come out very profitable at the end of the fiscal year (EA for example). And, these losses do not necessarily mean that product is not selling; a lot of publishers and developers are investing heavily in R&D, marketing and other costs in preperation for the next generation of games so many of them are likely to have similiar quarters.

Since 1998, Nintendo netted 4.9 billion dollars in profit, Sony (game division) netted roughly the same and the Microsoft games division lost 3.6 billion. It's safe to say that Nintendo is doing just fine.

For more clarification on Nintendo's bottom line, read this:

Nintendo vs. Everyone