Declaration of Revocation

Lucius

What happened when Russia became a superpower?

There aren't wannabe black rappers in Soviet, are there?

Seriously, China is trying to copy the West so much, they are losing their own identity. The democratic ideas will eventually get there in this age of Internet, so be patient. China is not going to be a carbon copy of the USSR.

you know, it is gonna be kinda fun to watch how things change over the next 25-50 years.  one wonders how euro envy of america's world power status will change as china slowly begins to dominate the globe economically and culturally. 

HA! Good Fun!

besides that scenario, while possible, isn't NEARLY as probable as the scared masses seem to believe.

russia were never a real super power. russia/ussr was a military super power that were doomed from start. china situation is different.... much different.

btw, the observation 'bout chinese rappers is noteworthy in the present discussion 'cause back in the 80s Gromnir were sure that rap were just a fad.... shows what we know.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

There aren't wannabe black rappers in Soviet, are there?

Seriously, China is trying to copy the West so much, they are losing their own identity. The democratic ideas will eventually get there in this age of Internet, so be patient. China is not going to be a carbon copy of the USSR.

I'm not saying they will be.

My response was in reference of Groms question about what will Europe do when China rises in power. My thought: Align themselves closer with the US and vice versa.

Goody.

Cold War part 2?

Isn't it kinda already. I mean, Taiwan and what not? Them building nukes, us trying to build new tactical nukes.

What I want to see is what part American corporations wnd up playing in all this. Not from a "corporations are evil" perspective, but just because they seem to play a very interesting role in all of this. They help support Chinese expansion in many regards while spreading american ideas.

"What I want to see is what part American corporations wnd up playing in all this. Not from a "corporations are evil" perspective, but just because they seem to play a very interesting role in all of this. They help support Chinese expansion in many regards while spreading american ideas."

you is being foolish if you think it is just american corps. the euros is falling all over themselves to get access to chinese markets.

cold war 2? not a chance.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

What I want to see is what part American corporations wnd up playing in all this. Not from a "corporations are evil" perspective, but just because they seem to play a very interesting role in all of this. They help support Chinese expansion in many regards while spreading american ideas.

It's possible that 'American' corporations will cease to be American. At the moment, these multinational corporations benefit from being headquartered in the most powerful country in the world, because its government will protect their interests. However, if they want to expand their business in China and Chinese-US tensions are high, they will simply move their HQs elsewhere in the world. It will be an era of truly transnational corporations, without any loyalty to any country.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

you is being foolish if you think it is just american corps.  the euros is falling all over themselves to get access to chinese markets.

ok, well, duh.

So are lots of various investors. Not all of them nessasarily bringing "American" values or having to answer to the American people. Like when Microsoft (I think it was MS) help the Chinese gov censor words like "freedom" on the internet.

My point wasn't that US companies are solely driving the chinese market, but that US companies have a unique role to play in this.

cold war 2? not a chance.

as I said, we're already there. Edit: to a degree

I was just thinking of the silly notion that the EU will align itself more with the US in face of the Chinese "threat."

Want to venture a guess who is number one in human rights violations and in the bottom five of press freedoms?

I'm guessing China doesn't get "nicer" when it gets more powerful. Without, of course, some serious reforms. Those reforms would, of course, very likely hurt the chinese economy badly for some time to come.

It's possible that 'American' corporations will cease to be American

As I said, interesting, isn't it? :wub:

Is that an urban myth or based on evidence?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4088702.stm

Multinational companies adapt their morality to the local context. There was a big fuss in Germany a while ago when it was discovered that one of their companies, which was required by German law to involve union representatives in the company structure in Germany, was blocking unionisation of its workforce in the US.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I'm guessing China doesn't get "nicer" when it gets more powerful. Without, of course, some serious reforms. Those reforms would, of course, very likely hurt the chinese economy badly for some time to come.

I'm guessing China isn't completely stupid and understands how a good chunk of its recent development came to be.

The reason why countries like China, India etc. have prospered economicly in the recent years is solely because they offer western companies cheaper means of production, mostly through cheap labour. Once the standards and wages of their societies rise to the point when it is no longer profitable for foreign companies to outsource to these countries, they will move elsewhere. And the economy of the country will decline very rapidly.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I'm guessing China isn't completely stupid and understands how a good chunk of its recent development came to be.

Freedom in economy doesn't equal to democracy.

And I agree with kumquatq3 that political instability will hurt the economy badly, and that's why the Chinese government is reluctant to take radical measures in reforming. That and the fear of losing power of course.

Still not sure what you're trying to say.

I know reforms can cause turmoil.

My statement was directed at the fact that China isn't going to get "nicer" as it gets more powerful.

With or without reforms, China's likely not stupid enough to just go on a powerhungry conquering spree if they're halfwits enough about why their economy is developing rapidly.

Taiwan makes sense however, given history.

I don't see them bullying the Koreas, Japan, Vietnam, Mongolia, or any other of their neighbours for that matter.

Still, Taiwan is a very close US ally. Nice way to start some "$hit"

You couldn't see them bullying Japan? They reallllllllllllllllly don't like the Japanese. Vice Versa.

I agree they arn't going to be trying to take over the asia-pacific rim anytime soon (as they can't), but assuming that the "China is THE world power" future comes true, it's not something that is beyond possibility. Hence somethign to fear.