help needed

Aragorns

Hi everyone!

I would like to ask for help. I am searching for some source books for my horror campaign. Not some monsters in the closet or wandering zombies. I am looking for something far more dark and twisted (smth similar to films Hellriser, Cell). For something about the inside demons of human, insanity, occult, etc.

Also i am not very sure what system could suit that best- Call of Cthulhu or World of Darkness (new ed.)

so i am waiting for your advice.

Thanks! :ninja:

Some creativity would probably work well here. Unfortunately I have none and cannot help you.

The cool thing about demons is you just need to adhere to the scary archetypes and mix and match them, and you get scary :ninja:

I havent looked at the Call of Cthulu PnP books, but considering the material from which they are inspired, they should fit the bill. I have been looking over it in the last few days and I also think the new WoD would work, though only the core WoD, Vampire, and Werewolf books are currently available. The new Mage book is supposed to come out in late August, if that matters to the campaign you are creating.

To be honest, though, any system would work with sufficient GM effort, some (such as the ones mentioned above) are simply easier to adapt.

Also in the thread of Ender's contribution: List of Mythological Demons. Christian and otherwise.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Well, I'd recommend Call of Cthulhu, especially 5th edition (pre d20) if you can get it.

I've played some of World of Darkness, a bit of Exalted (which is not horror) and a good deal of Vampire, but Vampire never seemed much like a horror game to me - it's much more about keeping the truce between the vampires and humans and other beings than it is about being scared or scaring others.

Cthulhu, however, is definitely horror. It's the only game I know of to have extensive rules for sanity that are used constantly, because facing the unspeakable monsters from beyond can clearly leave quite insane if you're not careful (and frequently even if you are...). Be warned, though, that characters die by the dozen in Cthulhu, so it's not for the faint of heart. And death is often violent and nasty in Cthulhu.

I was always very fond of Ravenloft's "Van Richten's Guide series"... those were the best. And a lot of the information there is general information applicable to a large range of campaigns.

A good book that explains how to run horror in your games is "Nightmares of Mine" written by I.C.E./Chaosium. This book explains it in detail step by step. Definitely recommended.

image002.gifLancer

And if you are considering Call of Cthulhu, I would possibly look into "Delta Green" as well for some good X-file-ish conspiracy mixed in with your Cthulhu mythos horror.

image002.gifLancer

If you have a genuinely strong stomach the NYPD publish their 'Homicide Investigation Handbook', or they did. You might have to pick it up second hand. Everything you really would wish you didn't know about human badness.

I'm really not kidding about the badness though. I still can't erase some of the images from my head.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I find it can have a short-term negative effect, but it does in the long term help to understand human nature. I strongly believe that, given the right environment, humans are capable of practically anything.

Warning, don't go to this link if you are squeamish at all (and I'll probably delete it shortly, anyway):

bad1

worse one: infantiphagia

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I had a look in most of the sources I know of, and couldn't find any copies. My guess is that it is simply not in high enough demand, or is too expensive now. Since I would anticipate anywhere between 75 and 150 dollars I suggest you try the library. You may not be able to find this precise book, but the True Crime section should help.

EDIT: Meta is right IMO. If you do get a chance to look into truly aberrant behaviour you will certainly become more paranoid, and appreciate the cops more. If Steve is reading this, I'd be interested to hear if it makes him see things in a less friendly way. Actually, i hope he doesn't, as someone round here need s to be an idealist. :)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Concerning Kult:

I have only played the original swedish version of the game so I don't know how much has changed since it got translated and updated.

As to if its scary I would say that depends alot on the GM, all the printed scenarios I saw where a bit to much gore and puss and in your face for my taste. That being said the setting definetly has ALOT of potential for psycological horror as long as you rememeber to keep the supernatural elements of the setting unkown so the players never get any real understanding of whats going on.

So my final verdict is probably worth checking out, but useing prepublished campaigns involves more reworking then normal.