Junction Point Studios -more info

People should get really suspicious if lightbulbs keep popping all over the place.

No doubt, but that's more or less expected of the AI. I'd say this option would be pretty interesting because it would not only provide another way to handle environments, it would also have to be used with care by the player. I suspect there would be different alert levels as well. A clearly shot lightbulb would make noise in the distance, and the area would be permanently darkened, which would significantly alert the AI. A specialized device like Musopticon suggested would likely reduce the damage done to electric lights and its effect wouldn't be as ham-fisted as shooting the lights.

O'course, they could add lots of those neat light switches, which would likely be the safest way to bypass some areas flooded with light. Guards would just go "?", and go there and turn it on again, while the PC was already sneaking away. A bit like Metal Gear Solid perhaps, but possible all the same.

In an ideal world, a Deus Ex sequel would incorporate a handful of sneaking techniques, both improvements over the originals and new ones. Splinter Cell and Metal Gear Solid both seem to have good elements that could find their way into a game like Deus Ex.

Though even more ideal than that would be to have the sequel developed with only the PC in mind.

Didn't Thief 3 incorporate a more realistic AI, that on the highest difficulty level basically never went off alert once the PC tripped it?

I'm down with the PC-only plan. :rolleyes:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm down with the PC-only plan.  :lol:

Well, that should take care of the dumbed down control scheme and GUI and it should allow for levels that are larger than my bathroom. And no, I can't launch ICBMs from my bathroom, so don't ask.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I'm down with the PC-only plan.  :lol:

Well, that should take care of the dumbed down control scheme and GUI and it should allow for levels that are larger than my bathroom. And no, I can't launch ICBMs from my bathroom, so don't ask.

Numbers finally, accidentally, reveals his true alter ego ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Color me crazy, but Morrowind was developed for the PC and console at the same time, and when I play it on the PC, it feels like a real PC title. The interfact works rather well on the PC, and I don't believe it was dumbed down for a console market.

I think the NPC dialogue system and combat had major flaws, but console games are rarely non-linear and allow for the exploration that Morrowind offered. GTA is the exception, but GTA has really good action.

I don't think we need to demand that developers overlook consoles, as developers need to get paid so they can continue to make games. I think developers need to stop dumbing down games period.

I don't think we need to demand that developers overlook consoles, as developers need to get paid so they can continue to make games.  I think developers need to stop dumbing down games period.

Two words: Invisible War.

I agree, this dumbing down process is actually having an effect on the game mechanics, so it is counter-intuitive to continue it (except as a cost-reducing strategy ... hmmm I wonder which will win: gameplay integrity or cost reduction?)

It's all well and good to minimise the colours and style that a new Ford comes off the production line with, but to start reducing the number of dashboard instruments and gear levers is not. R&D on the production process needs to keep the integrity of the product function sharply in focus, or else it in self-defeating.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Certain genres don't appeal to the masses generally. You need to accept that when making such games.

Howevering, making a good game in the genre can lead to incredible sales. The Final Fantasy series is a good example of a JRPG that wasn't changed or altered for the American market, but it sold really well here.

Don't assume the worst about your target audience all the time.

I think one of the reasons that Lost is quickly growing to be one of the most popular shows on television is that it doesn't treat its audience like idiots.

Nah, someone somewhere just has to finally slap the stupid suit and go "Look at Invisibile War!"

I think it'll take a bit of sucky, dumbed down games before they really realize they're no longer making money.

Once they can't hit the golf course at their leisure, they start looking at things a bit more closely, and will realize that gamers AREN'T stupid, and will make good games.

I predict this change will occur right about the time I enter the videogame market :thumbsup:

I think one of the reasons that Lost is quickly growing to be one of the most popular shows on television is that it doesn't treat its audience like idiots.

My roommate might disagree. He mentioned something about not liking the ending of the season.

Plus there were many weeks the show didn't seem to come out :D

Nah, someone somewhere just has to finally slap the stupid suit and go "Look at Invisibile War!"

I think it'll take a bit of sucky, dumbed down games before they really realize they're no longer making money.

Once they can't hit the golf course at their leisure, they start looking at things a bit more closely, and will realize that gamers AREN'T stupid, and will make good games.

I predict this change will occur right about the time I enter the videogame market :)

Hurry up and enter the market, so that it will produce better games *instantly*.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I find that ability to be rather empowering :)

Apparently my friend just had a phone interview with Bioware. I haven't spoken with him directly, but he told my roommate it was probably the most nervous he had been in his life (or something to that effect.....I'm paraphrasing here :) )

I don't want to derail into Lost that much, but the show is all about bait-and-switch. It is quite clever, and after the season finale some people think they figured things out, or that some answers were too simple.

Yet none of the fans predicted them, and we still haven't seen the big picture.

Any show that can surprise us easily twice an episode is far more clever than your usual programming. The show also doesn't hammer things in. It can be quite subtle, like most really good cult shows.

Guest Fishboot
Certain genres don't appeal to the masses generally.  You need to accept that when making such games.

Please don't use the term, "the masses". I have to imagine you wearing a raspberry beret and a black turtleneck, snap-clapping at poetry when you do that. Mainstream/subculture is a more attractive dichotomy than masses/whatevers.

Anyway, I think Invisible War didn't really get a good chance to demonstrate whether the streamlined design would take anything away from the game, because it was a strictly mediocre game in its own right. Lackadaisical, unpolished story, agonizing load times (because of console-ized zone memory sizing), questionable enemy/combat design, etc. - all things that would be bad even if they'd kept a skill system and distinct ammunition.

It did, however, make new strides as a dead-body throwing simulation, an amusement that probably took up about half of my total playtime of IW. Level four strength implants are worth it just to be able to tidy up after a fight by throwing your victim's bodies onto the roofs of nearby skyscrapers.

Anyway, I think Invisible War didn't really get a good chance to demonstrate whether the streamlined design would take anything away from the game, because it was a strictly mediocre game in its own right. Lackadaisical, unpolished story, agonizing load times (because of console-ized zone memory sizing), questionable enemy/combat design, etc. - all things that would be bad even if they'd kept a skill system and distinct ammunition.

We we talking about the dumbing down trend due to the multiple market-segment targeting of the suits: if a game sells well on the PC, let's cost expenses and dual develop it for the console as well, and have one-and-one-more times as much money!

It did, however, make new strides as a dead-body throwing simulation, an amusement that probably took up about half of my total playtime of IW. Level four strength implants are worth it just to be able to tidy up after a fight by throwing your victim's bodies onto the roofs of nearby skyscrapers.

This is true, I did enjoy the body throwing, a feature that was not surpassed until the penultimate level in [Half-Life 2[/i].

:D

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT