I have a question, someone take a look please...

I have a question. Software. Software such as Discreet's 3ds max 7, or maya 6 or whatever. I know you can get trials, but 30 days goes pretty quick. People like me who want to go into a career involving making games but before they do would like to have a play with some programs, but can't because of the huge price tags. $3000, $7000, whatever.

I would like to be able to get my hands on some software ( 3d modelling ), like the software used to build worlds in games. Does any one know of some software what I could have a mess around with which is either 1) Not to expensive or

2) Free. I know free software won't be any good, but its still something.

I would then be able to learn my self to use this software and get a little head start before I go to college. Also does anyone know what type of software colleges and universitys use. I know no one knows what type I mean, I meant would they be more likley to use really expensive software or really crappy software.

You know the "other sources"?

If you're just learning, it's not really frowned upon.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Yes I know what you mean but I have tried getting 3ds max 7 from "the other sources" and there is a slight problem.

I require a serial number and I appear to have "lost" mine. Also a "legit" program to make a random serial code appears not to work.

Damn all this. I hate copyright laws.

I shall have to sneak into discreet HQ like a ninja :ph34r: and "obtain" a copy of there software.

I would like to be able to get my hands on some software ( 3d modelling ), like the software used to build worlds in games. Does any one know of some software what I could have a mess around with which is either 1) Not to expensive or

Most of the expensive development software packages have the Educational Version available in university bookstores. They're usually affordable to students, fully functional, never expire. More importantly, they're legal as long as you don't use them for comercial purpose.

Well, you can get Maya Personal Learning Edition for free, it never expires but its watermarked so you cant use it commercially, for free ones programs like blender work, or the beta for DAZStudio.

You can get Maya Personal Learning Edition just by checking out a book from the library on maya, they almost always have a CD in the back to install it with.

DAZStudio you can get from DAZ 3D.

Blender's main site seems to be down but you can get it from Upperfold (That may be part of the main site, not sure if blender3d.org redirects).

I know this sounds daft, but you've nothing to lose by just asking them for a copy. How much is a phonecall?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

• 2 weeks later...

If you are in school, there are a few places which sell software for students at considerable discounts. - some of the places might not even ask for proof. This is a great way to learn the stuff, and often the only downside is that it does put a watermark on your work so that it is obvious that it is from an educational version.

Another option is Swift 3D. The program is about $100 and you can do many of the same basics as you can with 3dsMax. I have actually seem some really impressive stuff come out of Swift 3D.

• 3 weeks later...
I have a question. Software. Software such as Discreet's 3ds max 7, or maya 6 or whatever. I know you can get trials, but 30 days goes pretty quick. People like me who want to go into a career involving making games but before they do would like to have a play with some programs, but can't because of the huge price tags. $3000, $7000, whatever.

I would then be able to learn my self to use this software and get a little head start before I go to college. Also does anyone know what type of software colleges and universitys use. I know no one knows what type I mean, I meant would they be more likley to use really expensive software or really crappy software.

if you are a student you can get those types of software at a greatly reduced price I've got most of my programming tools that way other than my java stuff which is free. there are a lot of student discount sites out there llike gradaware.com

and being a student doesn't mean you need to be in college you just need to be a student