Related prestige classes

I keep hearing from people that if I want to get the most out of my character then I should choose the prestige class that goes along with my first class. For example, guardian to weaponmaster, sentinel to assassin, consular to master, etc. Is there some extra in-game benefit you get from choosing your prestige class in this way or is it just something players are imagining?

Yes, if you have light side mastery or dark side mastery, you get a bonus. The bonus from your initial class (if you get the bonus before you get the prestige class) will stack with your bonus from your prestige class.

There is no bonus of taking the logical prestige class to your normal class really.

I keep hearing from people that if I want to get the most out of my character then I should choose the prestige class that goes along with my first class. For example, guardian to weaponmaster, sentinel to assassin, consular to master, etc. Is there some extra in-game benefit you get from choosing your prestige class in this way or is it just something players are imagining?

All I can say is that common wisdom seems to indicate otherwise, and my own experience tends to support that idea. A friend of mine played the Exile as a Guardian turned Sith Lord and said it was the ultimate combination. I played Exile as a Sentinal turned Weapon Master, however, and cannot complain about the results in any way. Your mileage may wary...

I prefer starting as a Sentinel than going Sith Lord or Jedi Master depending on my alignment.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I usually start as Sentinel as well, because it gives the skills necessary to unlock some interesting dialogues. I don't think a Guardian/Weapons Master is much stronger than a Sentinel/Weapons Master, once you've got a few levels of the prestige class.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Sentinel is my favourite base class. Three out of four of my characters used it.

Watchman and assasin work really well in conjunction with certain force powers and with ranged weapons.

Weapon Masters are fun to just stand in a room in a reflection stance and laugh as people fall over, killed by their reflected bolts.

Not a big fan of the master or lord classes. never found the powers much fun and to be honest the game isnt hard enough to require "debuff" powers.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Consular / WeaponsMaster

I get Uber Force Powers and the ability to kick arse later in the game when the baddies get tougher ;)

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| My KotOR / TSL Mods | My WIP | USM Compatibility |

Having trouble with TSL's cheat console? Try the Hak Pad. Don't forget the Booster!

I usually start as Sentinel as well, because it gives the skills necessary to unlock some interesting dialogues.  I don't think a Guardian/Weapons Master is much stronger than a Sentinel/Weapons Master, once you've got a few levels of the prestige class.

Yeah, it seems being a sentinel is far more advantageous in KotOR2, since skills are now much more important. In KotOR1 my 'optimal' combination was to begin as scout and advance to level 5, then not advanced further until I made him/her a jedi guardian. Done right that allowed me to complete all quests in the game, including full repairs to HK-47.

In KotOR2 skills are far more important in general, so the sentinel becomes attractive, since you can switch to somthing else later. Heck, my first feats usually go toward turning the cross-class skills into class-skills for my sentinel. I lack force jump, but I don't need it as much as I thought I would.

I have plaid kotor 2 as Sentinel/Sith Lord and as Guardian/Weapon Master and i got a say that (IMO) it was easier with Sentinel/Sith Lord and much more fun to be a darksider. Though it was real easy too with Guardian/Weapon Master.

• 10 months later...

Well, in this game, you can be whatever you want. It really doesn't make a difference. On the other hand, I find that a Jedi "Weapon Master" is ridiculous. If it had another name, then I would choose it. Therefore, nowadays I am a sentinel/watchman (love the skills) that doesn't listen to Kreia.

Hogwash. You can combine any base class with any prestige class you like and get a serviceable build. Personnally, I never found much use for the Jedi Master/Sith Lord classes for my pure casters, and I never use guardian for my fighters.

Edited by mr_raider