A Battlefield 2 thread

Jumjalum

:wacko: Baaaaack on topic.

I just picked it up yesterday...I'm still awake.

Currently (for another week or so), I can't get at a decent broadband connection, so I'm stuck with the bots, but that gamespy mod allowing for 32 players really helps. And am I the only one struggling with the damn choppers and jets? Hell of a learning curve involved there...

Then again, I don't spend too much time with them.......why get in it, if I'm going to slam into a mountain face ten seconds later?

Medic and Spec Ops seem to be the best classes for me...I like helping people, and the C4 gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling each time one of those Abrams rolls on in.

Since I'm curious...How's the online play? Idiots and mentally abused shut-ins aside.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

I think you need a joystick to maneuver aircraft properly, I tried the choppers a bit but I could hardly take off. I never bother with them.

The online play is actually the best teamwork-wise in any FPS, the way its done and the ease at which you can communicate with team makes even random server playing enjoyable on the most part. Theres always the occasional chaosmatch but Ive seen lots of teamwork.

Id like to play mechanic more, but then youll have to give up the big fat kills since the shotgun is completey useless(for anything but close quarters and there is very little of that in Bf2)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Good to hear, can't wait to get cable back...this dial-up is just horrible. I feel like I'm regressing here.

Yeah, a joystick is the way to go for piloting, found my Nostromo and it suddenly got a lot easier. Much less in the way of horrible, heart-wrentching, bone-jarring 1000 mph meetings with local fauna.

You could play a mechanic, and still be formidable. It just gets a little difficult, what with the ducking, dodging, weaving, and sprinting you'll be doing trying to get in range to make use of the shotty. However...the pistols are suprisingly accurate and are actually pretty useful at medium range. Suppress and advance tactics might work... Pistol the s.o.b whenever possible, and run like hell to the next spot ahead of ya when he ducks for cover. (Feasible in reality, probably not in BF2.)

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

I think you need a joystick to maneuver aircraft properly, I tried the choppers a bit but I could hardly take off. I never bother with them.

No, I have a pretty good joystick and I still fly with the keyboard. Trying to use the mouse when maneuvering aircraft is a surefire way to crash, though. Keyboard-only controlled aircraft for teh win!

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Many men were raped today by the reentless panzer attacks of now Private First class Kaftan Barlast, earning him another Gold Star and some minor thingammabobs.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

:lol:

I blame games like Privateer 2 and X-Wing: Alliance that forced me to use a joystick. No keyboard support at all (nor mouse).

I played through all the WC games with a mouse (they had that smart crosshair in the middle that basically determined your pitch/yaw...why more games don't include that is beyond me), Privateer with a keyboard. The original Falcon with a keyboard.

I just fly better with the joystick in BF1942. A bit more precise, since the controls are analog.

Actually, I have a rather nice joystick. Those games you mention, if not require it, are next to impossible to play without one.

But I got used to flying with the keyboard after I realized that choppers in Desert Combat and the mouse were... incompatible.

And I'm too lazy to plug the joystick in, and install all the crap it needs...

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I bought BF2 yesterday.

Hoped I could get it to work on my W98 Operating System. No luck so far.

Any1 have any tips on how to shoehorn BF2 onto a W98?

Ya..I know it sounds like a repeat of my last "shoehorn" atttempt....to put ICE2 on my 200 mhz PC years ago...what can I say. I don't feel like buying Win2000, and another harddrive.

Oh..BTW...Hi everyone.

Playing WOW on Tichonderous server...so stop by an say Hi.

Why exactly are you running Win 98? :) Do you play mainly older games?

And if you are running 98 on a new PC, then I can't understand why.

Why, the answer is obvious.

Nostalgia fever!

57fordthunderbirdred.jpg

I blame games like Privateer 2 and X-Wing: Alliance that forced me to use a joystick.  No keyboard support at all (nor mouse).

You could fly around in Privateer 2 using mouse and keyboard. It was mighty unconfortable and could drive a man to extreme lengths of frustration (especially a man who always plays with "invert mouse" on; mainly because there were NO mouse options whatsoever in Privateer 2)...

I agree about XWA. I'll go buy a joystick in a few days just to be able to play custom battles for it again :thumbsup:

I just remember not being able to use exclusively keyboard for Privateer 2.

Mouse flight has always been clunky since they removed that handly guide in WC and WC2 that showed what direction you were going.

As I just got a new comp I experienced some crackling noise in the game if you suffer similar problems then switch to hardware sound and/or disable voice com. And mute/disable every sound port youre not using like line in etc.

Or, you could turn the volume up really, really loud and play some Led Zepplin or Pink Floyd or even some Industro-Punk-Trance-Metal-Grunge. That should blow the cobwebs out.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I just got a few medals and ribbons myself!

I'll catch you soon Kaftan!

Although I'm a miserably pilot, can't hit anything. And I suck at getting guided missiles to lock onto a plane properly, even if I hestitate and let them fire their Chaff.

I seem to die a lot.

Mostly when running to revive the idiot who thought it'd be a good idea to bum rush the enemy tank, while shooting his pistol into the air and repeating the "Enemy Activity" quick speak option.

Flying is getting easier, but tanks are definitely the way to go, provided of course, that you're ok with the occasional rape via attack heli, or low flying fighter.

And why can't I advance beyond Lance Corporal!? I've played sooooo much.....but with so little gain.

- Everlast

I am just about to become a Lance Corporal.

And I enjoy tanks too. Most of my best runs have been with the M1A2 Abrams.

But I've always enjoyed tanks. The Tiger was fun in BF1942, although tanks as a whole sucked ass in BFV.

I'm about 10% there, but it's slow goings for now.

The APCs and AA are pretty good too, versatile, and I've taken out quite a few tanks with them.

It sort of makes sense that tanks in both WW2 and Modern day warfare would be effective, and those used in Vietnam would be......less so, considering the terrain and dense dense dense foliage...and land mines/traps.

- Everlast

Oh, well yeah, in that case, chalk that one up to bad game design. I never really played the game, so I can't say too much about it.

Maybe I've just been unlucky so far, but I've yet to find a server where people actually use the squad/commander system. Sure, there are squads, but it's basically just them running around dieing together, with no thought given to an effective strategem. The commander's...for the most part, with few exceptions, have a habit of doing absolutely nothing...just flying around in a jet, or hiding in a building, constantly ordering artillery strikes on one area where there isn't even a concentration of enemy troops/armor.

- Everlast