Survival Horror.

I'd be interested in that link!  Cradle is probably one of the best made levels in any game that I've ever played, even if it did freak me out a couple of times..

This might be a real chore. Most of the commentary is spread out among all the posts in this http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83560 thread, but you can find what you're looking for more easily by following this link http://www.ttlg.com/forums/search.php?searchid=145550, straight to null's posts. Hope it works for the unregistered.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Would you say games like Silent Hill or Resident Evil are survival horror?

Also has anyone played Silent Hill 4?

How do they think up that kind of twisted s***? :'(

Examples of Survival Horror:

Resident Evil (Zero, REmake, 2,3,CVX)

Silent Hill (1,2,3,4)

ObsCure

Eternal Darkness

Alone in the Dark

The Thing

Extermination

Examples of Horror:

Clock Tower

Haunting Ground

Fatal Frame.

I'm still not sure where the survival bit comes in. It's kind of a requirement.

Survival Horror games are horror games where combat, ammo management, health management and save management come into play.

Pure Horror games usually lack those elements. (Example: Haunting Ground... while it is Horror, it's "survival aspect" is about the same as a super mario game)

System Shock 2 could very well be considered a survival horror game. I think even moreso due to its ability to stress and frighten players much more than any console survival horror I've ever played did, with the possible exception of the original Silent Hill. I never got the same feeling out of the Resident Evil series, for instance, and I find it surprising they're considered by many to be the highest expression of the genre.

While SS2 is a FPS, it's built almost exactly like a "standard" survival horror game.

So it's more of a SH/FPS like Deus Ex is considered a RPG/FPS

RE is all about cheap scares. It's rather fun, in a campy sort of way. When it comes to pure horror, however, it's got nothing compared to the creeping, atmospheric madness such as Thief III (Hint: Shalebridge Cradle) or Silent Hill (or so I've been told).

Different kinds of horror.

Someone on the gamefaqs boards used a good description.

Resident Evil is more Survival Horror

Silent Hill is more Survival Horror

RE tends to focus more on the survival aspects where Silent Hill (The first one is a classic) is more horror.

I'm supposed to review Cold Fear, but even though it's supposed to be a classic survival horror game, it feels much more like an action game along the lines of Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube. The monsters you meet aren't scary and the boat you're playing on isn't scary either. Also, you seem to get plenty of ammo if you just look around a little. Still, it's kind of atmospheric and dark, abandoned boats are always interesting somehow.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

This might be a real chore. Most of the commentary is spread out among all the posts in this http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83560 thread, but you can find what you're looking for more easily by following this link http://www.ttlg.com/forums/search.php?searchid=145550, straight to null's posts. Hope it works for the unregistered.

Thanks! :blink:) That 10 page article was good, pretty much nailed it.

I think we can safely nominate as Darque the official Obs board horror game nutcase. :blink:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

I'm supposed to review Cold Fear, but even though it's supposed to be a classic survival horror game, it feels much more like an action game along the lines of Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube. The monsters you meet aren't scary and the boat you're playing on isn't scary either. Also, you seem to get plenty of ammo if you just look around a little. Still, it's kind of atmospheric and dark, abandoned boats are always interesting somehow.

I've heard it compared to Resident Evil 4 alot :blink:

Shame, RE4 isn't a survival horror game... I have a feeling the genre might be drying up :wub:

well at least Hydravision will be making Obscure 2 :)

BTW: Thanks again mkreku for suggesting that game to me :D It's now one of my alltime favs :D

No one blames you for it. Quality gaming all in all. :blink:

kirottu said:

BTW: Thanks again mkreku for suggesting that game to me :D It's now one of my alltime favs :D

Hey, no need to thank me! I am a games reviewer, that's what I do :)

..but I must admit I was a little worried after recommending it to you and then giving it 7.4/10..

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

There's nothing wrong with being a RE fanboy/girl, nothing at all.

As long as you don't like the movies, that is. And especially not the one where Nemmy dies from being impaled on a jagged bit of metal after some henious "I know kung-fu!" display by wondergirl Alice. <_<

Ugh, horrible.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Hey, no need to thank me! I am a games reviewer, that's what I do :)

..but I must admit I was a little worried after recommending it to you and then giving it 7.4/10..

7.4 would be a fair review :blink:

It was their first attempt after all, and it had flaws.

There's nothing wrong with being a RE fanboy/girl, nothing at all.

As long as you don't like the movies, that is. And especially not the one where Nemmy dies from being impaled on a jagged bit of metal after some henious "I know kung-fu!" display by wondergirl Alice. <_<

Ugh, horrible.

The first movie was good... the second movie sucked beyond all reason :angry:

The first movie was good... the second movie sucked beyond all reason  :angry:

That's true enough, I suppose. I still think there wasn't anything special with the first one, though. Just another run-of-the-mill action movie, I say.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

The first movie was good... the second movie sucked beyond all reason  :angry:

That's true enough, I suppose. I still think there wasn't anything special with the first one, though. Just another run-of-the-mill action movie, I say.

I tend to agree.

But it didn't screw the series like the second one did, so I can just enjoy it for what it is.

The second one though... totally unforgivable :)

It would have sucked even if I wasn't an RE fan :blink:

If only for the "I know Kung Fu" scene :lol:

My first survival horror game was Lurking Horror.

The survival horror game time forgot was D, and that was quite good.

I haven't played most survival horror games since RE3 however.

Crypt of Medea on the Apple ][.

Very cool game (even if the English was a bit dodgy: decapitated hand, anyone? :blink: )

:)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT