the ULTIMATE review thread!!!!!!!

Zagor

Well would you pay twice your salary for a console that will be obsolete soon enough....

Rest assured JE PC is gonna have my undivided attention..

..if they ever make it..

*shakes fist at sky*

Bah..the only job I'd possibly get is subway newspaper boy :">

And Let's add some more games...

Kult-90%

Freedom Force-85%

Freedom Force 2-80%

SNES:

FFVI-88%

FFV(III US)-92%

Chrono Trigger-94%

Bahamut Lagoon-85%

I'll add others later on :D

Yeah, I know what you mean, Bytor man, but this here is mostly RPG territory, so no credit to adventure games. Even if the RPGs do own them their 3rd-person perspectives. :D

Confidentially, The Secret of and LeChuck's Revenge are the best games ever created.

One question to professionals -- Mkreku, Volourn: Besides academic grading, how do you derive a percentage? For example, how do you know if something's 92% and not 93%?

I'm not a professional. Mkrkeu makes the big bucks reviewing games. I'm just someone who would want to make the big bucks reveiwing games. :D

As for something being 92% and not 93%; it's a complicated process with lots of counter referenciing, large computers, and bribery tod etermine it.

Seriously, it's just a rough estimate for me. The scores tend to go up, and down for me every once, and awhile. For me, it's the range that matters.

90%+ = The best

85% - 90% = Second tier

80% - 84% = Great; but some major flaws

70% - 79% = Solid, and fun; this game won't win any awards though from me

61% - 69% = Some good parts to it; but overall I did not enjoy it as much as I could have

60% + lower = Worthless game

:lol:

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

My $.02.

BG - 91%

BG2 - 96%

IWD - 87%

IWD2 - 81%

PS:T - 85%

KOTOR - 90%

KOTOR2 - 89%

JE - 93%

NWN OC - 81%

SOU - 70%

HOTU - 83%

NWN + User-Created Mods (Good Ones) - 90%

Daggerfall - 77% (At Least 40 Re-Boots to Get Through It!)

Morrowind - 64%

TOEE - 72% (After Co8 Fix and Patching)

"You're not a professional then, Volo? Could have fooled me."

It's prbably I'm so arrogant that I sound like a professional. (outside of typos, heh). j/k Mkrkeu. :)"

"Do the scores degrade over a period of time? Can't have Gorf rated to Jade Empire standards."

Depends on the game. I used to love the GB series; but I surely wouldn't rate them high now. However, the Ultima series is still amongst the best imo, even now.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Depends on the game. I used to love the GB series; but I surely wouldn't rate them high now. However, the Ultima series is still amongst the best imo, even now.

Ah, Ultima ... *reminisces of Ultima ][ on the Apple //e, then Ultima ]I[ and the marksand cards, after the character creation through the gypsy in the fair ... (why did I end up as a Shepherd when I answered honestly?) ... Ultima IV ... good memories *

I wouldn't know where to start with all the RPGs and Adventure games I've played; I think I've forgotten more games than a lot of people have played ... yet a lot of the ones posted above I haven't played ... :">

I even remember that silly French one where you went to different planets and had to try to decipher their language using a "typewriter" of pictographs to communicate with them (and end up eventually offering to copulate with them) ... what was that one called? (I never bought it, I played it at "work" on a summer job as a call-out computer technician -- i think it was on the Amiga ...)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I even remember that silly French one where you went to different planets and had to try to decipher their language using a "typewriter" of pictographs to communicate with them (and end up eventually offering to copulate with them) ... what was that one called?
:)Emmanuelle? Older games should be easy to rate -- either :shifty: or <_< .

So a series like Ultima can go on indefinitely? Until the copyright goes t**s-up, that is. Some of the older games can seem a bit incomprehensible in comparison though. A bit unplayable too.

I even remember that silly French one where you went to different planets and had to try to decipher their language using a "typewriter" of pictographs to communicate with them (and end up eventually offering to copulate with them) ... what was that one called?
:)Emmanuelle? Older games should be easy to rate -- either :shifty: or <_< .

So a series like Ultima can go on indefinitely? Until the copyright goes t**s-up, that is. Some of the older games can seem a bit incomprehensible in comparison though. A bit unplayable too.

That's the one. Boy was that crapola. :p

I agree that everyone is taking their ratings a bit too seriously; simply a "liked it lots", or four stars, or :shifty: versus a "Meh", or two/three stars, or <_< , and "Yuk", or one/no star, or :x should do it.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

One question to professionals -- Mkreku, Volourn: Besides academic grading, how do you derive a percentage? For example, how do you know if something's 92% and not 93%?

For this thread, I just kind of chose those 91% or 92% to differentiate the games at the top.

When I review for Spel2 I play the game extensively, put preliminary grades in categories like graphics, sound, controls, and so on. When all the scores have been set I calculate an average from them (and surprisingly often that average score comes very close to the final review score) and if the game is 'big' (with several review copies being sent out) I discuss my views with the other reviewers and adjust the scores if needed. If it's a smaller game I adjust the average score to better reflect my own opinions. Like for example, a game like Tetris would probably score very low in the sound and graphics categories and the average score would suffer from that. But the final review score would probably be much higher than that average since so many other aspects come into play that can make a game good.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Tetris is a masterpiece. I don't know too many games that get into your head so much that you end up dreaming about them!

... I used to dream difficult tetris block configurations and the solutions to them. (Maybe I played with too many lego sets when I was young ... )

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Baldurs Gate 1 : 70% (Never finished it.)

Baldurs Gate 2 : 83% (Good fun, although main plot was somewhat uninteressing))

Icevind Dale 1 : 70% (Never finished it. Too much combat.)

Icewind Dale 2 : 70% (Never finished it. Too much combat.)

Planescape Torment : 93% (One of my favourites.)

Fallout 1 : 88% (Ah, sweet memories.)

Fallout 2 : 95% (Ah, sweeter memories.)

Neverwinter Nights : 68% (OC was so very very avarage and boring and... But I did finish it for some strange reason.)

KOTOR 2 : 80% (Good game.)

Morrowind : 70% (Never finished it. Got bored.)

Daggerfall : 75% (Better than morrowind, but buggy as hell and therefore I couldn

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Baldurs Gate 1 : 70% (Never finished it.)

Baldurs Gate 2 : 83% (Good fun, although main plot was somewhat uninteressing))

Icevind Dale 1 : 70% (Never finished it. Too much combat.)

Icewind Dale 2 : 70% (Never finished it. Too much combat.)

Planescape Torment : 93% (One of my favourites.)

Fallout 1 : 88% (Ah, sweet memories.)

Fallout 2 : 95% (Ah, sweeter memories.)

Neverwinter Nights : 68% (OC was so very very avarage and boring and... But I did finish it for some strange reason.)

KOTOR 2 : 80% (Good game.)

Morrowind : 70% (Never finished it. Got bored.)

Daggerfall : 75% (Better than morrowind, but buggy as hell and therefore I couldn

manthing2.jpg