Why do people get differnt bugs?

Im not a programmer but from what I understand, all cds are cut from the same master. Now granted, different countries are all going to get a slightly different version but lets just assume its only the North American copies.

Why do people, who should all have the same CD, wind up getting differnt bugs or errors than others, shouldnt everyone who has the same game get the exact same problems?

Just a thought I had in bed last night as I stewed about the problem I just ran in to.

Well, everybody has the same version and most have different PC's...

And it's also the way people play, some might do only what's needed, then you also don't find these Side Quest Bugs...

Some like to do things "different", like finish quest and fights on creative ways, sometimes not supported by the game...

And some people just don't mind if they see a minor error and other will be offended by even the minest (some X-Boxers claim they have no problems, but they probably don't mind bugged Fuel Quest, Galactive History, Swoop Races, Redemption, Intergalactic Universation and others...)

While I do mind even the slightest things (see my HUGE bug list in the Locked topic Bugs...)

Not everyone has the excatly same computer as the next fella...  :blink:

Ok, if that was meant to be a shot at me, please re-read my first post. thanks.

Why do people, who should all have the same CD, wind up getting differnt bugs or errors than others, shouldnt everyone who has the same game get the exact same problems?

You play games with your computer, right? So of course it affects the game what kind of computer you have.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Not everyone has the excatly same computer as the next fella...  o:)

You play games with your computer, right? So of course it affects the game what kind of computer you have.

Yes, but why? There are thousands of types of CD players in the world but if you were to listen to a track on a CD that has a squelch or some other type of imperfection in it, odds are all cd players sound would output the same way.

BTW-The one part I wanted you to read in my first post wasnt what you quoted, it was the " IM NOT A PROGRAMMER" part.

Seems to me the HOW you play the game explenation makes more sense than everyone has a differnt pc.

Okay, you really not a programmer like you said in the first post.

What you are talking about is a technical problem with the quality of the CD itself, not about the quality of the software which is an entirely different thing. You are mixing these two things up.

One: if there was an error on the physical CD media, everyone would have gotten the same problem and most likely would not have been able to install the game. Since almost everyone can install the game, the conclusion is that there is nothing wrong with the CD itself.

Two: after we all have succeeded in installing the game on our computers we can have different errors, because they are in the software, not in the hardware where the game itself is concerned and because we use different computers with different processors, different videocards, different soundscards etc. etc.

Right - for example;

A while ago when there was more than two graphics card makers on the planet, there were two different methods of rendering fog. Direct X knows what the card can do and it allows programs to query what capabilities are available. Some programs didn't bother and just presumed one type would be available because they developed with only one card in mind initially and then did a bodgy 'port' to support other cards, which did actually occur.

So if that particular fog wasn't available, it would either crash, render inefficiently or not at all blah blah blah.

So, hardware can affect what bugs or problems you get with a game.

Not everyone has the excatly same computer as the next fella...  :lol:

Yes, but why? There are thousands of types of CD players in the world but if you were to listen to a track on a CD that has a squelch or some other type of imperfection in it, odds are all cd players sound would output the same way.

Equating a computer to a CD player. Wow...just wow...c'mon man, just because you aren't a programmer doesn't mean you shouldn't have some clue about how a computer works. :huh:

There are probably three main reasons:

* Different players do things differently. Ie, players do things in different order and some might skip some things in the game entirely. This causes the game to be in different states for different players when a certain scene occurs. Sometimes there are glitches in the game causing some combinations of earlier actions to cause the game to bug out.

* People have different hardware and drivers (and driver versions) in their computers. This causes compatibility problems to arise. (There simply is no such thing as a "standard computer" when it comes to x86 PCs)

* People have various degrees of third party software installed that may interfere under certain circumstances. (In this section I include all sorts of malware (viruses, etc) in addition to the intentionally installed applications.)