But my question to you: would you pay for another game as unfinished as KotOR II? I'd rather not do it, personally.

To be perfectly honest, I haven't finished the game yet. Got about halfway through, had some weird things happen with my companions and decided to quit and wait for the patch.

Admittedly, that was some time ago and I, like most people, am impatient. But I don't expect the patch to be a panacea for the game's ills. I just hope it lets me finally turn Handmaiden into a jedi. :(

So, having not finished it I can't comment on the latter half of the game. By all accounts it loses its luster and the story fragments, creating a chain-reaction which will soon destroy the known gaming universe...that is, if you listen to half the posts on this forum.

To answer your question, if I knew for a fact that the next game would be fragmented and buggy I probably wouldn't buy it. But I don't and can't know that.

What I do know is that many of the people at Obsidian have, in the past, worked on games that I loved. And even if that weren't true, they've only made one game. I think it's fair to give them the benefit of the doubt.

It's just a game, you know?

Like it or not, other people have valid opinions too.

You know, I have a PM from a OE developer that states he would like lighter stories than they usually write. Are you ready to make the same insults to him? Here is a copy of the PM. I have deleted the name of the developer but it should not be too hard to figure out who it is.

Re:Dark stories, Mar 7 2005, 10:30 AM

I know I'd like to see a lighter one as well.

As for NWN2, I think we are trying to keep it a little lighter than some of our other games. It's certainly not going to be an "everyone dies" type of story which seems to get written by our designers fairly often.

-

--------------------

Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

D'oh!

I guess your statement about "even though everyone else seemed to like the new theme" is not entirely accurate, now is it?

FYI: I like lighter stories in games because I have a wife, family, mortgage, a small company to run, basically a whole lot on my mind and when I have time to play a game, I want something lighter than what KotOR2 was.

Your opinion if indeed perfectly valid but I think many people like Obsidian to continue making tragic stories because there are not many developers that do them these days. It's really easy to go and find some nice and happy fairy tale story with great heroes and evil enemies, but look around for more ambiguous games and you find yourself pretty deserted. Troika tried it with Bloodlines and in my opinion they nailed the atmosphere perfectly but alas, Troika is no more.

Developers probably hate it to be pidgenholed like this but I'd like to leave the so-called epic and light stories to Bioware and Obsidian continue to make darker games. Since Bioware and Obsidian are not very different companies and believe in similar design philosophies we might get games which suit both camps.

I don't mind Obsidian's dark story - I just thought of it like "an Episode III". What I didn't like though is how the LS ending was not very LS at all (and too similar to the DS ending)

You could say they're the same....!

And with the speculated name of KotOR 3: The Last of the Republic, I am not getting my hopes up on anything else but more doom.

What's wrong with Rome Total War! I luv that game!

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

Guest Dowie100
I don't mind Obsidian's dark story - I just thought of it like "an Episode III". What I didn't like though is how the LS ending was not very LS at all (and too similar to the DS ending)

You could say they're the same....!

And with the speculated name of KotOR 3: The Last of the Republic, I am not getting my hopes up on anything else but more doom.

What's wrong with Rome Total War! I luv that game!

Has anyone noticed that the title there doesnt make sense?

Last of the Republic?

Shouldnt it be

-The End of the Republic?

or

-The Last Stand of the Republic?

Has anyone noticed that the title there doesnt make sense?

Last of the Republic?

Shouldnt it be

-The End of the Republic?

or

-The Last Stand of the Republic?

It is ambiguous, which is probably intentional.

After all, it could refer to both of the options you mention (the fall of the republic or the last stand of the republic), or it could refer to the last jedi knights left to defend the republic against the true Sith.

Personally I find that ambiguity in a title is a cool thing. Just think of "Attack of the Clones" - that certainly had a bit of a twist as to how the whole thing turned out :thumbsup:

Your opinion if indeed perfectly valid but I think many people like Obsidian to continue making tragic stories because there are not many developers that do them these days. It's really easy to go and find some nice and happy fairy tale story with great heroes and evil enemies, but look around for more ambiguous games and you find yourself pretty deserted. Troika tried it with Bloodlines and in my opinion they nailed the atmosphere perfectly but alas, Troika is no more.

Developers probably hate it to be pidgenholed like this but I'd like to leave the so-called epic and light stories to Bioware and Obsidian continue to make darker games. Since Bioware and Obsidian are not very different companies and believe in similar design philosophies we might get games which suit both camps.

I have nothing really against dark games. I just don't want another one and another one and another one, etc .... It s kinda sad that Trokia died, but after ToEE I can't say I am suprised. That game was really buggy and I am sure it hurt sales of their future titles. I know I did not buy another Trokia game after ToEE. I bet a darker story did fit Bloodlines well. It sounds like the perfect game to do one with.

Hey, if dark stories are going to be OE niche, then that is cool. I am sure there will always be a market for anything that is not mainstream. And it is great to have options.

I agree totally with your pidgenholed comment.