RPG cliches

Diamond

Here.

Many of them are related to FF series, but some are applicable to all RPGs.

Examples:

Dealing With Beautiful Women, Part 1 (Yuffie Rule) - All good-looking young females are there to help you. This rule holds even when the girl in question is annoying, useless, or clearly evil.

Dealing With Beautiful Women, Part 2 (Rouge Rule) - All good-looking middle-aged females are out to kill you. This rule holds even when the woman in question has attained your unwavering trust and respect.

Currency Name Convention - All currencies in games start with the letter G. (gil, gella, goth, gilder, gold, etc.)
Dibs Rule - In most cases, your party are the only ones trying to save the world. Nobody else ever beats you to it or even tries. Anybody that is trying to save the world on their own ends up either joining you, or dying.
Duel boss - Most games have a boss that you have to find as just the main character.

Dibs Rule - In most cases, your party are the only ones trying to save the world. Nobody else ever beats you to it or even tries. Anybody that is trying to save the world on their own ends up either joining you, or dying.

Or you drop them off in a bar and they wait there indefinitely.

JRPGs have soooooooooooo many cliches, and they still use them to this day.

- The hero is almost always from a small village, that at some point, gets attacked or destroyed completely.

- There is always some little kid that is assigned some incredibly difficult task that seems more suited for the world's savior (you). Naturally, the task is passed on to you.

- The main character is never the magic type, a more powerful mage will always join you. Usually the hero has the most physical strength.

- The main character is never the magic type, a more powerful mage will always join you. Usually the hero has the most physical strength.

Given a choice, I'd take a Wizard over a Fighter most of the time. Sure, I'll play Fighters and other warrior-types, but Wizards are less conventional. A fighter just runs around smashing things

As for money, gold is a universal currency. It has high value and can be used just about anywhere. Not so much in modern times. But many RPG's have a Middle Ages-type setting, so it makes sense. Also, Gothic used Ore.

The reason why gold is almost always used should be self explanatory. I remember, back when FFX came out, I got into FF a little bit. I looked up Gil, and it was some Asian currency a LONG time ago, if I remember right... I may have to go check on that, though...

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

Oh, and I'm much more of a Wizard than a Fighter, myself. I can't see me as anything resembling a brute, but I can see myself quite well as a scrawny person that uses their mind (and talents associated with such) to fight... Maybe I'm an idealist... :ph34r:

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

Given a choice, I'd take a Wizard over a Fighter most of the time. Sure, I'll play Fighters and other warrior-types, but Wizards are less conventional. A fighter just runs around smashing things

As for money, gold is a universal currency. It has high value and can be used just about anywhere. Not so much in modern times. But many RPG's have a Middle Ages-type setting, so it makes sense. Also, Gothic used Ore.

Notice that I referred to JRPGs in my post, which rarely give you a choice.