Radeon 7500 Graphics Card, Help!

I have a ATI Radeon 7500LE graphics card but KOTOR 2 won't work. Everything works fine until I start a new game. Then it will show the intro movie, show T3 on the Ebon Hawk for about 5 seconds then crash to my desktop. :p

The game says I need OpenGL 1.4, but all I have is 1.3. This might be the problem but I don't know. Help!

I have a ATI Radeon 7500LE graphics card but KOTOR 2 won't work. Everything works fine until I start a new game. Then it will show the intro movie, show T3 on the Ebon Hawk for about 5 seconds then crash to my desktop.  :-

The game says I need OpenGL 1.4, but all I have is 1.3. This might be the problem but I don't know. Help!

One thing You could try is to get the latest ATI driver and see how it goes. However I have a feeling that 7500LE is an old hardware for KOTOR 2; btw does your card work in KOTOR 1 ? Looking at the Troubleshooting guide.rtf that comes with KOTOR2 - ATi 7500 series not listed as supported...my feeling is that 7500 series doesn't have "Hardware Transform and Lighting (T&L) Capability" - this feature is required in KOTOR2 (and KOTOR1 I believe). Looking at the list of Nvidia hardware even going back to GeForce 2 - even this card supports T&L in hardware. KOTOR1&2 is using modified version of Neverwinter Nights 3D engine which was designed around nVidia GeForce 2 and up hardware. Also I believe 7500 is a fixed feature set GPU no vertex and pixel shader support this is also a must for KOTOR2.

Hades One is right in that perfromance will suck on the card. I wonder if the game needs a higher pixel shader level than that card supports (people have similar problems with the geforce 4mx cards, which are similarly poor). Play arund with older and newer drivers - you may get lucky. Failing that the patch may introduce support for a wider rangeof cards (though they'll have their work cut out just introducing support for all the harware that is supposed to be compatible). What spec computer are you running? The obvious alternative is to switch for something supported.

Actually, I don't know why KotOR 2 is not compatible with the Radeon 7500.

The 7500 is fully capable of hardware 'Transform & Lighting' [T&L], has full support of OpenGL applications and the ATi Catalyst 5.3 fully supports OpenGL 1.4 wich is needed to play the game so I don't really know why the 7500 fails to run KotOR 2.

KotOR 1 had the exact same requirements as KotOR 2 and it ran perfectly.

Actually, I don't know why KotOR 2 is not compatible with the Radeon 7500.

The 7500 is fully capable of hardware 'Transform & Lighting' [T&L], has full support of OpenGL applications and the ATi Catalyst 5.3 fully supports OpenGL 1.4 wich is needed to play the game so I don't really know why the 7500 fails to run KotOR 2.

KotOR 1 had the exact same requirements as KotOR 2 and it ran perfectly.

You might want to try Omega drivers with your Radeon card. The current version is based on 5.1 original drivers, but it's very nicely optimized (to the point where you'd rather use these drivers than the official ones) My ATI card is just a wee bit better (Radeon 9000) and Omega made it work with KotOR 2 where the official drivers wouldn't render Ebon Hawk but just the stars in the background, some random bits of ship controls and the poor T3... :rolleyes:

I wrote LucasArts about this problem with the Radeon 7500, I explained everything and they are actually trying to help me!

They wrote me back saying that they tested the game with the 7500 and it did not work, they asked me to send them my DxDiag and they will try to figure out why.

It's the first time that someone from LA is actually trying to help me.

I wrote LucasArts about this problem with the Radeon 7500, I explained everything and they are actually trying to help me!

They wrote me back saying that they tested the game with the 7500 and it did not work, they asked me to send them my DxDiag and they will try to figure out why.

It's the first time that someone from LA is actually trying to help me.

really?

hey report here if you have any luck. I too have a Radeon 7500 :p(

BTW I'm from Croatia too and my wage doesn't allow me a new card either :(

They wrote me back and said this:

Hello,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your video card does not meet the requirements for Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords. The program requires a card that supports Hardware T&L (transform and lighting) and the onboard Radeon 7500 chips do not have that capability.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know for sure that the 7500 has a T&L engine, it's called the Charisma Engine. You can look that info up on ati's product info. I could play every other game thats needs T&L.

P.S.: I wrote them another one, I'll report any new developments.

New mail from LucasArts [after I gave them full info on the card]:

----------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

Thank you for the comments and information, we will pass this along to the appropriate group.

----------------------------------------------------------

That's all for now.

Hi guys,

Have the same problem with Mobility Radeon 7500.

Kotor I runs smooth with all details high on this graphic card, so no clue why I can't play Kotor 2.

Btw.

If someone thinks, that you are unable to play kotor 2 on older graphic cards - on my other PC, I have Geforce 2MX (I think, that's really old) and Kotor 2 runs smooth (medium details, 1024x768)...

So let us know, if LA will answer your question about Radeon 7500 :shifty:)

regards,

Leszek