Learning Swedish with Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

the bitchy thing is when you realize it helped .. :p

the best way to learn a language is still moving there and just speak it .. but when you are in a class room you have to put some effort into learning the system, as you won't have an opportunity to pratice it that often!

or just watch ALOT of TV in that particular language .. helps alot too ..

Fortune favors the bald.

the death of the..    ..distinctive (masculine, feminine, neuter) noun gender.

And for that you should be grateful. Objects shouldnt have a gender, it's not natural.

..like those bloody jerries have it.

*flashback to school*

Ludozee:

-der des dem den

-die der der die

-das des dem das

-die der der die

errr, i mean die der den die

And Old English just beats out German for number of noun case inflexions.

Modern English - Definite Article

The

Old English - Definite Article

Nom Acc Gen Dat Inst

Masc se

I am on-off studying Old English. It's awesome. :shades:

It is my long-time obsession, and chief academic pursuit. Texts on my desk right now, as always, include: A Concise Anglo-Saxon Dictionary, A Guide to Old English, The Student's Dictionary of Anglo-Saxon, Sweet's Anglo-Saxon Reader...oh, and about 10 others related to Old English. To simplify things, it would be safe to say I own pretty much every major study text published in the last 100 years on Old English language and literature (all the way back to a 1905 version of Sweet's Anglo-Saxon Primer).

Uncovering the heritage of the English language is a difficult thing to do, tied up as it is in fragments of myth laden with superimposed Christendom, and written in a language which only a few take the trouble to learn (quite understandably), but it's somehow become part of my cultural identity.

It is my long-time obsession, and chief academic pursuit. Texts on my desk right now, as always, include: A Concise Anglo-Saxon Dictionary, A Guide to Old English, The Student's Dictionary of Anglo-Saxon, Sweet's Anglo-Saxon Reader...oh, and about 10 others related to Old English. To simplify things, it would be safe to say I own pretty much every major study text published in the last 100 years on Old English language and literature (all the way back to a 1905 version of Sweet's Anglo-Saxon Primer).

Uncovering the heritage of the English language is a difficult thing to do, tied up as it is in fragments of myth laden with superimposed Christendom, and written in a language which only a few take the trouble to learn (quite understandably), but it's somehow become part of my cultural identity.

I couldn't agree more, min gesi

I couldn't agree more, min gesi

Perhaps you scholars can answer me why Americans seem unable to pronounce "cursed"? As Ive been playing Gothic2 im beginning to get increasingly annoyed over the fact that none of the voice cast is able to voice it correctly.

It is suppose to be "curs-d" with a sort of not really pronouncing the end whereas the yanks say "curs-edd".

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Now that we're at what annoys people, I personally double my blood pressure when someone spells "armour" without the "u". <_<

Oh and by the way; this quote gave my nationalistic self a sense of pride:

"And that is called paying the Dane-geld;

But we

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Perhaps you scholars can answer me why Americans seem unable to pronounce "cursed"? As Ive been playing Gothic2 im beginning to get increasingly annoyed over the fact that none of the voice cast is able to voice it correctly.

It is suppose to be "curs-d" with a sort of not really pronouncing the end whereas the yanks say "curs-edd".

Actually, curs-edd is the correct pronounciation. Just like "learn-ed".

Inconcievable! I refuse to accept this as truth.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

The correct RP pronunciation of cursed is /kз:st/

Hah!

With that out of the way, can you give me an in-depth comment on how Richard Burton pronounces "lurid" ?