Dantoine Slow down ATI cards

I have played for about 15 hours with no problems at all. I use ATI 9700 PRO (Cat 5.2 drivers).

Now I am on Dantoine and the slowdown is so horrible that it turns the game unplayable. I tried to turn off anisotropic and AA and reduce details but to no avail. But maybe there is a combination i did not try.

Does anybody has a definitive solution to this?

Thank you.

I guess that Obsidian would not care less if i note that they claim on the specs that the game is ATI compatible. So much for customer respect

From the sticky related to these ATI issues, I posted the following:

For people tracking this sort of thing, I want to add how I fixed the massive slowdowns on Dantooine and crashing. As has been mentioned previously, expanding the atioglxx.dl_ from the 4.11 Catalyst package into the SWKotOR2 directory (I otherwise use the 5.2 Catalyst) fixes the problem immediately. Whether I have any other issues, I'll have to wait and see.

I was using the temp fix of going into the Graphic Options and resetting them each time the slowdown happened, but this started giving me Windows Stop Errors instead of a gentle crash to the desktop. For me, the only solution is to use the 4.11 OGL driver for TSL.

Have you tried that fix? Get the 4.11 Catalyst drivers, open the file you downloaded in Winzip (or something similar). Extract the atioglxx.dl_ file into the SWKotOR2 directory on your hard drive (the installation directory). Go to Start->Run, type in 'cmd'. At the command prompt, change the directory to your game directory (or use the paths in the following command) then type: 'expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll'. That fixes things for me (I was using a 9600XT, btw).

From the sticky related to these ATI issues, I posted the following:

For people tracking this sort of thing, I want to add how I fixed the massive slowdowns on Dantooine and crashing. As has been mentioned previously, expanding the atioglxx.dl_ from the 4.11 Catalyst package into the SWKotOR2 directory (I otherwise use the 5.2 Catalyst) fixes the problem immediately. Whether I have any other issues, I'll have to wait and see.

I was using the temp fix of going into the Graphic Options and resetting them each time the slowdown happened, but this started giving me Windows Stop Errors instead of a gentle crash to the desktop. For me, the only solution is to use the 4.11 OGL driver for TSL.

Have you tried that fix? Get the 4.11 Catalyst drivers, open the file you downloaded in Winzip (or something similar). Extract the atioglxx.dl_ file into the SWKotOR2 directory on your hard drive (the installation directory). Go to Start->Run, type in 'cmd'. At the command prompt, change the directory to your game directory (or use the paths in the following command) then type: 'expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll'. That fixes things for me (I was using a 9600XT, btw).

Thanx i will try and post back!

While using the 4.11 OpenGL driver will help some issues, the fix that seems to help most people is actually editing swkotor2.ini and adding the line Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1 to the [Graphics Options] section. I recommend that everyone who has slowdowns try this.

Glad to hear it.  :thumbsup:  It wasn't my fix, so I can't take credit for it. I was just passing on the info that was posted in other threads. Keep us posted if you experience any other sorts of issues with using the fix.

Cheers!

The question is, in case something else goes wron, how do I "unfix" it (return to pure CAT 5.2 state of affairs?)

The question is, in case something else goes wron, how do I "unfix" it (return to pure CAT 5.2 state of affairs?)

It's just a matter of deleting the file, as far as I know. It's only using that OGL driver because it's in the directory. Getting rid of the file defaults the game to using the one installed on your system (which is the 5.2 Catalyst version, the one used by everything else on your system that requires it).

the fix that seems to help most people is actually editing swkotor2.ini and adding the line Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1 to the [Graphics Options] section. I recommend that everyone who has slowdowns try this.

I have tried this, and it has worked BRILLIANTLY!!!!! (w00t) :D (w00t) The game now runs fine at 1024x768 with everything maxed, where as on 800x600 and everything off it wouldn't run at all on my 9800pro (1gig ram and xp2000). If you are having problems then this is definatly worth trying.

can sum1 give me a link to those drivers?? i'm having the same problem on dantooine, which usually results in a crash.

Go ahead and click right here. The ones we are talking about (and have been discussed elsewhere as so politely mentioned above) are the 4.11 Catalyst drivers. Also, as noted, there are other things you can try, so if this doesn't work (or is too complicated a process) try some of those other things.