Patch Contents

Let's just hope Obsidian and LucasArts don't pull a Troika on us - when Troika released Vampire: Bloodlines, it was a potentially brilliant game, but bugged beyond belief. Constant crashes, disastrous performance and a general feeling of poor Quality Assurance led many players to criticise Troika.

Troika responding by releasing a patch a month(!) later that solved several game-stopping(!!) issues - issues that had already been solved by independent modders within two weeks (!!!). As for game performance, Activision (the publisher) had the guile to blame poor systems specifications for choppy performance and 9FPS in some areas (!!!!), even though many of these reports came from people who were running the game on systems that far exceeded the recommended specifications.

And now, Troika is dead, selling off their assets on Feb 19 in a garage sale in Irvine.

Please, Obsidian and LA, don't do this to us.

Yes, Troika is dead. They're selling out on Feb 19. If you're lucky, you might make it to Irvine in time to get your hands on some of the office furniture and hardware. Here's the e-mail which they've sent out recently:

LIQUIDATION SALE

After 7 exciting years, and 3 published games, Troika Games is closing its doors forever!

EVERYTHING MUST GO!

* Computers - P3 & up

* Monitors 13" - 21"

* Desks

* Chairs

* Conference Tables

* Filing Cabinets

* Cubicle System

* Canon Copier

* and much more!

Saturday, Feb. 19th 9am - 1pm only 17991 Cowan in Irvine (Cash & Carry)

Let our loss be your gain.

Please feel free to forward this email to anyone that may be interested in the sale.

Also, one of former Troika employees now works with Obsidian Entertainment.

Here's a copy & paste of the post made by Andrew Meggs, the Lead Programmer of Bloodlines:

"Everyone's talking about what the ex-Troika people are going to do. The reality is that for the past several months Troika has been on a skeleton crew. The real layoffs happened in two waves at the start and end of November, and a lot of people have already moved on. I know of ex-Troika people working for all of these companies:

Activision

Day One Studios

Mythic Entertainment

Obsidian Entertainment

Point of View (2)

Seven Studios (2)

Sony (2)

Supervillains (2)

Swinging Ape

Tiger Hare (2+)

Turtle Rock

Treyarch

(And any of you who are reading this and don't see your current employer listed, by all means PM me. Let's not lose touch.)"

You can read the full thread (with comments from Troika staff) here:

http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic...der=asc&start=0

P.S. Oh, and I don't see how Bloodlines performance was a Valve problem, seeing as Half-Life 2 (which used the same engine) ran with no problems whatsoever on my computer, whereas Bloodlines occasionally gave 9FPS performance. I'm more inclined to blame the complete and utter inability of Troika people to code a string of code without making a mistake in it (Arcanum and Temple of Elemental Evil, anyone?)

Because they work with a old version of the engine (they call the source engine right?), the halflife latest one was tweak and have the support of the creators (valve)...

I know the game have serius problems, it take me buy a 512 mb RAM for my computer, because the game not run with the 512 ones i have in that moment, still with 1 gb ram i have slow downs, and the 1500 mb virtual memory that they recomend in the readme was insane.

Damn it was like Ultima 9 when it come out, no one play the game in the time it get release because it have some problems with the TNT video cards and it ask for 256 mb ram ( in that time that was too weird have that amount of ram).

After some patch and some years, i play the game that was in my shelve, was nice, of course not near as the ultima 7....

Soo my last favorite company die, i really don

We're all aware of what can happen to companies when they make small mistakes.. that in all actuality.. become monster mistakes in the long run.

Obsidian seems to have a bright future.. but that's only if they step up to the plate and communicate with the consumers!

Tell us you're working on a patch.. damnit guys.. please just let us know!

Obsidian could learn a whole lot from Bioware's approach to the community. After all this time games like Neverwinter Nights are still being actively supported. They actually interact with the community and keep them posted. It does wonders for their marketing because they have an existing base of customers who know to expect a high level of service from them.

im very disappointed, especialy about the way OBsidian behave.

No word of sorry or anything about that it will be fixed.

At this point i dont know what i should think of it, perhaps there never be a patch.

perhaps im wasting my time over a week to get around this ingame bugs to get further.

i wanna play now and not wait 4 weeks, then you should have released it later!!

We're all aware of what can happen to companies when they make small mistakes.. that in all actuality.. become monster mistakes in the long run.

Obsidian seems to have a bright future.. but that's only if they step up to the plate and communicate with the consumers!

Tell us you're working on a patch.. damnit guys.. please just let us know!

They already did. Chris Avellone has stated to someone around here, don't remember who, that a patch is being made. Geeze, the game was just released on the PC. A little patience will do you some good. Remember how buggy NWN was when it was first rel;eased? Hell, not all of its bugs have ben squashed and its been out for 2 to 3 years already.

They already did.  Chris Avellone has stated to someone around here, don't remember who, that a patch is being made.  Geeze, the game was just released on the PC.  A little patience will do you some good.  Remember how buggy NWN was when it was first rel;eased?  Hell, not all of its bugs have ben squashed and its been out for 2 to 3 years already.

True but an Official Announcement by Obsidian or Lucas Arts would be nice, instead of second hand hersay.

Patch wishlist here. >>>> http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=29506

Some of you could say what bug you'd encountered and need to fix.

Troika's dead!?! = =''

Well. Though We(I) love their game so much, no one and nothing stand still forever.

I really miss Arcanum ...T-T...

I say Good Riddance to Troika and any other company, Obsidian included, that puts out this type of quality. I was one of those insulted customers that Activision said that problems were due to my system (even though my specs were all above required levels and Doom 3 and the original KOTOR worked perfectly). See my rant here that goes into my general opinion on the current gaming industry:

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=29907&hl=