what does "darth" mean?

All of those people that keep thinking that Darth Bane was DEFINATLY the first Darth need to read his story some more.

I do believe that it was the Bane himself that met Darth Rivan (not Revan, RIVAN) in some sort of cave...

That is evidence that the term Darth could have and probably was used before then... just pointing that out, it may be obselete...

Edit: And, of course, before Revan, Kreia points out that there must always be betrayal, and that Traya has been used before, and will continue to be used by the Betrayer(s). Listen to her convo w/ Atris and when you ask her about the Sith that chase you.

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Heart of the Force, Arm of the Force

"Only a Sith deals in absolutes!"

-Obi-wan to Anakin (NOT advocating Grey-Jedidom)

"The Force doesn't control people, Kreia controls people."

I've said it before in many places, and yet no one seems to recognize this:

I've always felt that "Darth" is simply a badass title. Any Sith who thinks they've got the "gumption" or "cajones" to declare themselves a Darth can do so, for whatever reasons they choose. But if they do, it is definately possible that some other, lesser Sith may try to come after them to take that title from them, and I'm sure that may have happened a lot in the periods we don't know about.

Eventually, when the "rule of two" was set in stone, the Darth title was adopted as the prerequisite for being "one of the two".

However, as we see in the movies, the "rule of two" has its own drawbacks. When Palpy and Vader both bit the big one (don't even bring up the whole Black Fleet Crisis trilogy or I will smite you), the Sith was effectively rendered extinct. The Yuuzhan Vong confirm this when they dwell on the possibility of recruiting the Sith to help in their war against the "Jeedai".

"Their fire has gone out of this galaxy"...

Yuuzhan Vong!?!?!?! They're almost as bad as the Mediclorian thingies! Sorry, just my opinions.

Well, regardless of one's personal opinion about the NJO series, my point still stands.

Now how about someone, anyone, regarding my point on the Darth convention? I've never once managed to get anyone to comment on it before, and I'd like to know whether or not my idea carries any worth...

Darth is the Sith version of Mandalore, to an extent. You're right that just about anybody could take the title, but if they're too weak to hold it, then they won't stay Darth for long. It's a title of respect, showing some form of leadership over the Sith, which is why Revan and Malak could have shared it. You don't necessarily have to be the Dark Lord, but it makes much more sense that way.

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Revan coined the term Darth, I believe. He was the first Darth.

Bane created the rule of two.

Really, there hasn't been a lasting relationship of more than two Sith Lords since Naga Sadow.

...I just want to know there they get their "darth" names. Revan? Sidious? Vader? Banon? They all had a name prior to their taking the title of Dark Lord of the Sith, but their title reflects nothing of their former names.

Really, there hasn't been a lasting relationship of more than two Sith Lords since Naga Sadow.

...I just want to know there they get their "darth" names. Revan? Sidious? Vader? Banon? They all had a name prior to their taking the title of Dark Lord of the Sith, but their title reflects nothing of their former names.

Revan and Malak were the names of Revan and Malak before they declared themselves with right?

The rest of the Sith lords I know, Bane, Sidious, Maul, Tyrannus, Vader...maybe they created names that both sound badass and have something to do with their character?

Bane-----He was kinda the bane of the brotherhood of the Sith and the Jedi.

Sidious-----it kinda has that sneaky yet sinister tone to it. He conquered the galaxy through words, diplomacy, veiled threats and outright slaughter.

Tyrannus----I think this is a crappy title, but I can live with it. Tyrannus..hmmm maybe Dooku has this control freak tendency about him. He has to wield absolute power over those beneath him like a tyrant.

Maul---Well, he was a pretty good fighter, he MAULS everything Sidious tells him too, like a good doggy should.

Vader.....Like other posters have said, it could also have come from 'invader' and Vader also means father in Dutch.

PS....I have no idea who Rivan is....sounds like a secondhand knockoff of Revan, but that's probably because I have no idea who he/she is

Rivan lived during the Golden Age, towards the middle, I believe.

There is no proof that Revan coined the term. That was an assumption made by the uneducated on EU fans... I saw the idea created... :ph34r:

Geekified Star Wars Geek

Revan and Malak were the names of Revan and Malak before they declared themselves with right?

The rest of the Sith lords I know, Bane, Sidious, Maul, Tyrannus, Vader...maybe they created names that both sound badass and have something to do with their character?

Yeah, I think this can be explained in KotOR 2 however... the Sith under Revan weren't secretive, and Darth was just a title (probably one that had fallen out of use in the True Sith Empire that Revan decided to ressurrect - maybe even a way in which they are supposed to identify the Sith'Ari, or something...) - after Revan and Malak are out of the picture, the Sith become more secretive and take on titles that match their personalities.

So you have

Darth Traya (Betrayal obviously)

, Darth Sion (I'm assuming from Scion as opposed to Zion :- : heir, so could be interpreted as the inheritor of pain or something), Darth Nilihus ("Nothing", as everyone knows....)

After the Rule of two it's even more obvious why they take on false names- it's to protect their secret identities. I mean, Darth Palpatine wouldn't have fooled anyone would he? And Darth Dooku... well... alliteration isn't always great.

I do believe that it was the Bane himself that met Darth Rivan (not Revan, RIVAN) in some sort of cave...

Didn't Rivan serve as Dark Lord before Revan? If so, how did he meet Bane?

There is no Sith Lord named Rivan. It's probably the mistake of some guy who mistyped "Revan". And "Darth" was coined by Bane in one of those "Jedi vs. Sith" comics. I think in "Bane of the Sith".

Nope. Rivan is in the comics, and even has his own tale. He was made way before the Revan concept was even thought up (concepticized?).

Revan is his own individual, and has nothing to do with Rivan. I'll try to find my sources if you want.

Geekified Star Wars Geek