ATI/NVIDA Graphics

Well i upgraded my nvidia 64mb ti4200 a couple weeks ago to a radeon 9600XT. And now have proof there is something seriously wrong with this game. the game kept crashing with my ATI card and there were major bugs

Good job i kept my old geforce i got stuck on Telos where i had reactivated a old space ship the video escaping the military base wouldnt play and i kept crashing out to a windows error. After retrying 4-5 times and still not gettin past the video i decided to wack my old geforce into my machine now the game runs fine no crashing and even runs smoother with a g card that is half as powerful as the one i bought 2 weeks ago.

This clearly shows the game has no support for ATI cards so why put this on the back of the box, when your clearly supporting NVIDIA chipsets

Because of this however i will be sending my ATI card back to get a geforce 6 card. As the support for ATI cards is terrible its not just Obsidians fault its ATI's as they dont produce drivers to fix problems. With kotor when i played it through on my ATI card i had to use old drivers rather than the new ones because it became laggy but was smooth with the old ones

This leads me to think what are ATI upto fixing problems then unfixing them so i will be reverting back to geforce as i had no problems with them before, luckily i only bought the card 2 weeks ago so i can.

But i dont feel that it is right for Obsidian to say the game supports a chipset when it clearly doesnt. I feel for other ATI users in a way they've discriminated against people with ATI cards and this isn't fair the matter should be address and fixed befored the game is released.

I admit im taking drastic action sending my ATI card back but i had no problems running on Geforce cards for the last 10 years, and to have this much trouble trying another chip that did have good reviews has totally thrown me off ATI chips, so il be happy to go back to NVIDIA.

What do other people think about this?

Well i upgraded my nvidia 64mb ti4200 a couple weeks ago to a radeon 9600XT. And now have proof there is something seriously wrong with this game. the game kept crashing with my ATI card and there were major bugs

Good job i kept my old geforce i got stuck on Telos where i had reactivated a old space ship the video escaping the military base wouldnt play and i kept crashing out to a windows error. After retrying 4-5 times and still not gettin past the video i decided to wack my old geforce into my machine now the game runs fine no crashing and even runs smoother with a g card that is half as powerful as the one i bought 2 weeks ago.

This clearly shows the game has no support for ATI cards so why put this on the back of the box, when your clearly supporting NVIDIA chipsets

Because of this however i will be sending my ATI card back to get a geforce 6 card. As the support for ATI cards is terrible its not just Obsidians fault its ATI's as they dont produce drivers to fix problems. With kotor when i played it through on my ATI card i had to use old drivers rather than the new ones because it became laggy but was smooth with the old ones

This leads me to think what are ATI upto fixing problems then unfixing them so i will be reverting back to geforce as i had no problems with them before, luckily i only bought the card 2 weeks ago so i can.

But i dont feel that it is right for Obsidian to say the game supports a chipset when it clearly doesnt. I feel for other ATI users in a way they've discriminated against people with ATI cards and this isn't fair the matter should be address and fixed befored the game is released.

I admit im taking drastic action sending my ATI card back but i had no problems running on Geforce cards for the last 10 years, and to have this much trouble trying another chip that did have good reviews has totally thrown me off ATI chips, so il be happy to go back to NVIDIA.

What driver did you use?

alot of people seem to get best gameplay with the 4.11 drivers.

Also, i had a nvidia card before my current ATI card and i had nothing but problems with it, then i tried ati and my problems were fixed.

ATI does update their drivers. One of the Devs said that most of the driver upgrades during the last few months were related to KotOR 2. I updated my drivers in December and I had no problem running the game. At all.

Therefore, I think you should go here: http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html and get the recent batch.

from what i hear people are getting the same slowdown problem with the 4.12 and above.

since my game has yet to be delivered, i don't know.

Are you insane? I would never in hell change my hardware because one game does not work properly.

Moreover, I do not understand why this should be ATIs fault?

All other games including Doom3 and HL2 run without any problem on my radeon 9600 pro.

If a 3 year old, outdated engine which is KNOWN to have issues in the first place is used in a game and the devolpers don't manage to get this straight, I know what actions are to take and that is certainly NOT including replacing my video card ...

well i have been using the latest driver and it still crashes and stuff so they havent fixed problems with kotor 2 very well lots of people are having problems with ATI cards and this game.

kotor ran poorly on catalyst 5.2 but well on 4.11 i think i used in the end surely newer drivers should be better or whats the point in making them

you shouldn't have to change drivers for different game its stupid and i never had a problem with using the latest nvidia drivers

I DON'T UNDERSTAND *ANYTHING* OF THIS "COMPUTER-TALK"!!!

mumble grumble ATI, grumble mumble geforce?????????

If you don't understand what a graphics-driver is, attend a basic computer course. If that doesn't help, buy a console.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Funny, I'm using a ATI 9800pro and after I add the Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1 to the ini file because of slowdown on Dantoonie, I haven't had a problem since. The game runs great with the 5.2 drivers, for me at least, running at 10x7 with everything cranked. :cool:

Dragon

BioWare changed the NwN engine for KotOR with the Xbox in mind, the Xbox uses a Nvidia card.

Its hardly a suprise that non NVidia cards would not work as well since the engine optimizations were done for the Xbox with later the engine being ported for the PC.

Since this game is pretty much the same as KotOR, it was designed for the Xbox and then ported for the PC, the same trouble that were in KotOR would show up in TSL.

Now add the fact the game was rushed and lacked proper beta-testing ...

drakron.png

you shouldn't have to change drivers for different game its stupid and i never had a problem with using the latest nvidia drivers

Guess what, I did not have to update any drivers for any other game I played since 2 years. The first time I had to update a Graphic driver for my ATI was actually Kotor1.

Everything since then, including DOOM3 and Halflife2 run without any complains.

well i have been using the latest driver and it still crashes and stuff so they havent fixed problems with kotor 2 very well lots of people are having problems with ATI cards and this game.

kotor ran poorly on catalyst 5.2 but well on 4.11 i think i used in the end surely newer drivers should be better or whats the point in making them

Then why in hell is that the manufacturers fault? ATI releases their drivers and its usually the game developers task to make their game run smootly with them in case they want to have their support.

If the Devs put those video cards on their list of supported hardware, THEY are responsible for making it work and NOT the manufacturer.

So either the problem is going to be fixed VERY soon, or that is going to be the last Kotor I have spent money on.

I find it absolutely inacceptable that such an ugly and outdated engine (lets face it, Kotor1 was already ugly back then) which is known to run bad on ATI systems has not been reworked to support it properly within 2 years of development.

This is especially grave since only minor gameplay changes have been made.

I addition to that are upsetting me the many smaller ingame bugs like disappearing feats or the many graphical glitches.

This is absolutely sloppy, and whether the publisher is responsible ot the developing team, it will certainly affect my customer behavior towards both in the future, unless the issue is going to be solved VERY soon.

I am not one to go ranting and raving on message boards of games as a normal habit. This is in fact the first time I attended to a particular games message bord, and I did so to find a solution for my performance problems. I have not.

I am also waiting for an official statement about that matter and information about future fixes. I have not found any, neither here nor on the LA boards. That is not a way to treat your customers.

I have a feeling growing that this PC version is a quickport of the XBbox game.

They could at least have included highquality sound and cutscenes of a higer resolution. Sorry, but the presentation is more than bad. I am no one to give a particular high priority on eyecandy, but seriously, I really do not buy games to have my eyes insulted by 680x468 pixel cutscenes, that are not even properly centered unless I reconfigure my monitor setting just for this game ...

Funny, I'm using a ATI 9800pro and after I add the Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1 to the ini file because of slowdown on Dantoonie, I haven't had a problem since. The game runs great with the 5.2 drivers, for me at least, running at 10x7 with everything cranked. :cool:

Dragon

SEE WHAT I MEAN?!?

my ATI X800PRo 256mb works great with it, no crashers or lock ups so far.

one more thing, nvidia has these things called hang drivers, wich means that if u install a ATI card it will decreese preformance by a TON, i had like 10 fps on games when i switched to ATI untill i reformated my computer. so make sure u do that or ur not going to get good preformance.