Sound

Could you tell me where i might be able to find the manufactory of my mother board im looking in device manager under computer it says "ACPI Unicprocessor PC" Under system devices doesnt seem to say any manufactorer. Tell me the easiest place to find it and ill find it for you (if its no trouble as ive said im a total tech noob)

That's only really going to help if his machine uses a branded mobo (seeing as he's a noob I'm guessing it's a Dell or an HP or something). Hudson, that program I pointed you to should be able to tell exaclty the make and model of your computer (if you're concerned I can assure you that it is virus free and won't harm your machine). Is your computer branded?

Hudson I may have had a bit of luck. May have found a more recent version of the driver.

Hit the link below and download the right version of the drvier for your operating system. (If you any problems installing it let me know and I'll talk you through it)

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97...8&Software=True

Going by the model number of your motherboard, I take it your machine is a HP. Can you give me the model number?

Hello all -

I hope somebody can help me. I've been playing KOTOR II no problems at all. I'm 9 hours into the game.

All of a sudden I load up the game today and notice most of the sounds aren't there anymore. I check out the options menu and see that EAX is set to "disabled" and there is no way fo rme to enable EAX 3 anymore. the little + sign next to it does nothing.

This really really really sucks. If i edit teh .ini and swith eax from 0 to 1 and save it just resets it back to 0 every time i start the game.

I'm using a Creative Audigy 2 ZS.

Anybody know what is going on???

That is the same card I have and I was having sound problems, then I saw that they have updated the drivers on their site so I am getting the full driver suite and installing them.

There are a total of four drivers for the card, two for the normal audio play and 2 that are EAX specific. It is something you should check out.

Not sure what's going on there, Hardtarget. I have the same card and no sound issues about 20 hours into the game.

Make sure your motherboard and sound card drivers are up to date.

You might also try forcing software sound or lowering the number of 2D/3D voices.

Ok, I've read through the entire forum and have not yet found any solution to the problem I seem to be having. It is quite similar to others, when sound is enabled the game won't start. I got a trusty (up until now) old vortex 2 aureal 8830 card as well as onboard AC97, which I usually turn off completely. I have gone through all the above steps people mentioned, including buying a new sound card, a soundblaster Live! LS. However not even that seem to help, there are no new drivers from creatrive labs webpage. When I take a look at my swinfo.txt, it seems like the game still thinks there is a vortex card in there, take a look at the attached file. Any idea how I can clear this up (and no reinstalling KOTOR2 solved nothing, it is like stuck in there), there doesnt seem to be a way to uninstall the drivers, since they got installed with xp once upon a time. Reinstalling windows seems a little drastic and I will hate to loose all my registry entries and have to reinstall everything.

swinfo.txt

Reinstalling Windows will NOT clear your registry entries. It might overwrite some options like the size of the Recycle Bin and any really funky registry tweaks you've made, but it won't cost you anything except time and effort. All your programs will still be installed and working.

Before trying a reinstall of Windows, I suggest you boot into Safe Mode by hitting F8 while booting. When the menu comes up, boot into Safe Mode. Then right clicks My Computer and click Properties. Then pick the Hardware tab. Finally, click the Device Manager button.

When the Device Manager opens, you should be able to see your old sound card in the list of devices. You may need to go to the View menu and select 'Show hidden devices'. I'm willing to bet you'll find that Aureal card still listed. Uninstall it. if there are any remaining Aureal files, delete them. You may want to use Driver Cleaner for this.

You may even need to uninstall your new sound card while you're there. Reboot into normal Windows and let Windows find your new sound card. Install the newest drivers you can get, either from your driver CD or the web. You should now have a clean sound card install.

Great, sounds a little "cleaner" than the brute force solution I came up with so finally get this thing to work. I got hold of a downloaded version of the aureal device drivers, just to get an idea of what the device driver names were, i.e. a3d.dll and a3dapi.dll. I renamed those in windows/system32. Next I downloaded the DriverGuide Toolkit from driverguide.com and spotted my aureal vortex device in there a couple of times. I then copied the GUID and started up regedit. The vortex multi-port card has a slightly different GUID, so you will have run through the registry twice. Exported the registry, just in case. Searching through I found a couple of these entries with an aureal in the text and deleted those. During this search it dawned on me what might have happened, it appeared that all the sound cards I have ever had configured in the machine, all have the same GUID no matter if they are still present, and since aureal seems to be first in the list it overshadowed any other cards in there. Man... Hope this will help any other who have been desparatly deprived of their sound... I wonder how many exp this would yield...

Reinstalling Windows will NOT clear your registry entries.

Depends on how you reinstall windows... If you do a format of your windows partition (system partition) your registry will be completely new....

Of course... but a format isn't a reinstall. >_< The two commonly go together, but I was referring to just the one part.

Hardtarget, have you had any luck yet?