Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

NWN Player World Reviews

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Dante-X

Dante-X

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 20 posts
As a community many of us have played on the various PWs out there. Some catering to RPers, some to hack and slashers, and some to both. Myself I think that it would be beneficial to new players to Player Worlds and old players looking for PWs that better suit their tastes if members of this community posted reviews of PWs that they have spent significant time on. If you have spent a full month on a PW, and have an enlightening and well thought out review to make please post it below.

Note: Multiple people can review the same PW. The same person can review multiple PWs.

~DX

Volourn

Volourn

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 17067 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Deadfire Silver Backer
  • Fig Backer
City of Arabel: I haven't played on this server in a long while so it may have changed. Rules are very hardcore, some intertesting quests, and neat DM 'events'. Crafting is up there. However, plenty of people on this server tend to think role-playing = sitting in town square and talking. Still, a solid if not deep PW.

Dungeon Adventures: Combat oriented. This server has probably the deepest combat AI for any NWN server/mod, I have seen. The monsters and areas are quite varied and the enies will call for help, will "lure" PCs, use all manner sof special abilities ala called shot, knockdown, and parry. The spellcasters use their spells intelligently including buffing allies, and the like. Half the base spells have been changed (some stronger some weaker), feats have been changed, you name it. Magical items are vast and varied. For now, the server allows up to level 20 though theat might be chnaged in the future. Right now, the awesome owner is on "vacation" so not much changes going on right now but normally he's there for rquests and many changes have occured because he was askd to. Good stuff. Like I said, this is combat oriented so don't go there expecting deep role-playing though role-playing your character is encouraged...

I'll probably add more later...

Phosphor

Phosphor

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2214 posts
The Vast: A small community, but with many excellent role-players and a very well-balanced game world. It requires no haks or downloads, and the DMs have made a beautiful, interesting world to explore. It's hard, but not seriously hard, and is definately geared towards low-level and low-magic adventuring.
On the downside it can be tricky to find something to do sometimes and the DMs aren't on a whole lot. It's very much a make your own fun kind of place, but there seems to be a never-ending sense of discovery for intrepid players.

Earthspur: This is a very hardcore PW, and death is extremely easy to find. The players are great and the world itself is huge with many different starting areas geared towards race and/or class. It uses the CEP and a couple of other small haks, but since most people have the CEP, the downloads needed are not cumbersome.
It's a mid to high level server, with a decent amount of magic (though more geared towards conventional methods of dispatching one's foes).
The biggest problem with the PW is early level tedium. You really need to be 6th level to have a hope of survival, and getting to that level is quite dull and monotonous. Fortunately, the powers that be there seem to be looking at ways of improving that.

Dante-X

Dante-X

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 20 posts
Haze

General:

This PW is among the highest population of intense Role Players I have found in my NWN server travels. In peak seasons you will find about forty people on during the peak hours of the weekend, in low seasons you will find anywhere from ten to twenty people. The population is heavily weighted with American time zone players.
Haze is very much like an AD&D meets Sim game, with an infrastructure comprised of PCs government, guards, crafters and merchants. Historically the server has very few NPCs. The world is VERY low loot and low magic, with most weapons classified as crude, and thus having negatives to them. The realm is harsh for the explorer as it is permadeath, with no chance of IC rez. Prior to the server vault wipe the level range was from lvl 2 (the level you begin your quest on) to level 6 (only a handful of the entire server population ever achieved this level).

Pluses:
Haze allows for deep immersion in any given role. If you are a story teller and extreme RPer, and adventure isnít your primary goal, then Haze is an ideal setting. DMs provide in depth stories at times, but mostly the onus is on the players to evolve their own tale. DMs have a PC biography database that they are now apparently using to draw on when tailoring quests for specific PCs.
RP is supported on a basic level by the Haze team, as the rules require that no OOC talk ever occurs in the talk channel, and is rather reserved for Tells. Further the forums do not encourage the disclosure of IC information.
You are only allowed to play one PC at a time, which is limited by your CD key. This reduces metagame.
There is a fairly large hak in Haze but the number of features implemented is unmatched by any server I have played on. Custom features that allow PCs from all the different classes have been implemented, making a couple class specific mini-games. The CNR products are extremely in depth, where tinkerers, metal workers and tailors can work together to produce various creations.
Beautiful choice of custom soundtrack.

Minuses:

Historically, though there have been a few random but inconsistent intense weeks of play, there is a low level of classic AD&D adventure on this server. Leveling up can take forever due to a slowly responsive TFL system, where PCs can wait for literally months to level after acquiring the needed XP.
You are only allowed to play one PC at a time. Some players might this limiting.
Permadeath with no practical chance of resurrection. I believe their has only ever been one IC rez in the entire Haze history of near to 3 years.

*note: TFL = Task for level, a training system that involved the completion of a task and is facilitated by an authorized PC or DM.

More information on Haze can be found at

http://www.hazepw.tk/

NeverwinterKnight

NeverwinterKnight

(9) Sorcerer

• Members
  • 1320 posts
i need to find me a good pw game. but im a n00b so ill probably be booted off before i get the hang of it. :(

Dante-X

Dante-X

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 20 posts
Nordock- Richtermís Retreat:

General:

Nordock is a PW with large territory for exploration, and a high population. The focus on Nordock seems to be not on RP elitism, but rather on the enjoyment of the lowest common denominator (no derogation intended). The rules required to abide by in Nordock are few, and as with many servers out there the things you will have to watch for to avoid banning from the community are their specific rules on PKing (PC killing), Pickpocketing, and lewd behaviour.

Pluses:

Nordock lacks strict rules, and has no RP enforcement. This makes it very accesable and less intimidating for the novice RPer. It is a good environment for testing the waters of online RP. Ideal for a younger gamers with a respectful attitude that want to get into playing on PWs.

Richtermís Nordock has multiple servers. There are three parallel servers that run standard Nordock that ranges from lvl 1 to 20 and facilitates approximately 30 players on each server. There are also multiple epic level servers that range from level 1 to level forty. Nordock also has a more challenging server based on the same original PW known as Nordock-Difficult.

Mini-quests provided by NPCs give players something if the server happens to be lowly populated when you log in, or there is a great difference in levels between PCs.

There is ample spawn hunting for players, and more forgiveness as death only results in xp loss. The xp loss is dependant on your means of being resurrected.

Multiple PC can be created and played with.

DM events involve many players at once.

Nordock allows the play of multiple Faerun races such as Duergar, Drow, deep gnomes etc. Each of these races have their own city.

Minuses:

Due to lenient standards you arenít going to find consistent high quality of RP on the server. People often treat the PW as a chatroom.

Due to lack of permadeath loss has little meaning.

Metagame will naturally be high, for the server permits posting of In Character information on the boards freely.

DM events are only basic due to lightness of the RP. No expectations can be founded for story lines that involve any individual characterís background due to the high player volume.

Aside: Nordock recently released a more harsh realm known as Nordock a Dawn of Heroes. Apparently the realm is more hardcore and less forgiving, but they have implemented new technology that makes the world more interactive. I have yet to visit this PW.

For more details and the IPs of these servers follow this link:

http://www.nordock.net

~DX

Dante-X

Dante-X

(1) Prestidigitator

• Members
  • 20 posts
Argyle:

General:

The Argyle campaign setting is based in world where magic is feared and mages, and clerics without reputation, can be hunted as witches. The scripting team has developed a hak that emulates 3.5 e rules pretty well.

This is permadeath server, with intense RP.

Pluses:

Campaigns are run by DMs that include 3 to 9 characters at a time, and can be of high quality.
The lore is fresh and original if you are looking for an escape from Faerun.
Great PW lots of variety and little cheese.
Multiple characters are allowed on this server.
The server host allows modifications of your characterís bio, voice set and other features as your character evolves.
Though it is permadeath resurrections are possible through painstaking efforts made by your characterís friends under a time constraint.
Hard to level, but good loot is out there via. DM run quests that involve intense RP or high risk or both.
Bios are encouraged to be submitted and DMs try to include your characterís history in a story line they are running.

Minuses:

The PW DM support is not very high, so the best way to get involved is to sign up for a weekly campaign. Maybe even sign up for a couple with different characters. Which I personally find a shame due to the elaborate PW they have.

This is great RP server, but they do allow OOC talk in the talk channels which can detract from the experience for an RP puritan, but does lend to a more relaxed atmosphere.

Low player numbers that can lead to boredom if you donít know the peak hours though this seems to be improving of late.

The public lore is poorly organized and this can make it difficult for new players. However, the community is often extremely receptive to those with lore based questions.

Aside: This is an adventurers world, where all the mundane tasks are run by NPCs. The lore is original, but currently doesnít cater to the high powered adventurer. Campaigns are really the way to go on this PW if you can get involved in one.

For more details and the IPs of this servers follow this link:

http://www.lonerhino...d/ikonboard.cgi

~DX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users