Cinematic endings or text based endings?

Do you prefer being 'shown' an ending or 'told'?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer being 'shown' an ending or 'told'?

• Cinematic - i.e 'shown'
    • Text - i.e 'told'

I'm sorry but were you even playing the same game as the rest of us?  :blink:

All I saw was a picture of space during the DS or the Ebon Hawk During LS.  You see those every time you dock or leave a planet.  Whoop-dee-doo. :)

As for the Fallout-esque 'splashscreens', they were basically serve-it-yourself via dialogue options.  Finishing a game with just a conversation is a bit lame IMHO.  :p

from what it sounds like, some people didnt even get the dialogue if they chose to just

kill darth traya without hearing what she had to say

. <_<

I'm sorry but were you even playing the same game as the rest of us?  :blink:

All I saw was a picture of space during the DS or the Ebon Hawk During LS.  You see those every time you dock or leave a planet.  Whoop-dee-doo. :)

As for the Fallout-esque 'splashscreens', they were basically serve-it-yourself via dialogue options.  Finishing a game with just a conversation is a bit lame IMHO.  :blink:

from what it sounds like, some people didnt even get the dialogue if they chose to just

kill darth traya without hearing what she had to say

. <_<

Oh yeah, I think Tyrell nearly had a fit because of that - can't blame him I suppose.

So to correct myself (thanks to NeverwinterKnight :p ) :

"Finishing a game with just an OPTIONAL conversation is a bit lame IMHO."

manthing2.jpg

people has some strange notions of what is and is not cinematic... 'especially if their other option is "text."

*shakes head sadly*

sounds like fable ending were as we predicted... you get narration and storybook movie... and clearly tsl had a cinematic ending... whether you found it fulfilling or not is another issue entirely.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

people has some strange notions of what is and is not cinematic... 'especially if their other option is "text."

*shakes head sadly*

sounds like fable ending were as we predicted... you get narration and storybook movie... and clearly tsl had a cinematic ending... whether you found it fulfilling or not is another issue entirely.

HA! Good Fun!

If you have scrolling text over a still image that's not necessarily cinematic for a video game. You're trying to pick apart the entire concept of it by twisting the reality of quality versus crap. Gamers tend to relate cinematic endings with the production quality, or at the very least, the fulfilling nature of the ending. Games aren't movies, all of the same rules do not apply.

funny, but we could say the same thing 'bout what you is doing. how on earth can folks even try to argue that the tsl ending were not cinematic? and as for fable... well, we blame folks for not clarifying what they mean... 'cause it sure weren't just text?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Fable ending is not just text over a picture, its a movie sequence displaying the ending mural of the chamber of Fate being zoomed out, pretty similar to all movies in Fable.

It fits on how the game was narrated.

As for Star Wars ... well a award ceremony was in Ep I and Ep IV, a "cliffhanger" ending was in Ep II and EP V and a celebration ending was in Ep. VI ...

Now the question is what is a fitting ending, we could go over how Star Wars games end but there are too many of then and each done its own thing, TIE Fighter had a award ceremony as the expansions had a "end of campain" scene ... Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight had a "creating a statue/ destroy holocron" scene at the end ... I dont think the ending itself matters but the closure of the ending, if at the end we still have questions over what happened the problem is not the ending media itself but that ending failed to offer closure of the story.

drakron.png

"Fable ending is not just text over a picture, its a movie sequence displaying the ending mural of the chamber of Fate being zoomed out, pretty similar to all movies in Fable.

"It fits on how the game was narrated."

thanks for the clarification... fable ending is as we expected and as we noted above.

HA! Good Fun!

funny, but we could say the same thing 'bout what you is doing.  how on earth can folks even try to argue that the tsl ending were not cinematic?

HA! Good Fun!

Because it's not a movie, it's a game? Again, there's really nothing to debate here, I just wanted to point out that you seem to be blurring the line on the whole issue by stating that nearly everything is cinematic. That's not necessarily the case when it comes to video games, for the majority of gamers. You can twist it anyway you want, and make a valid argument for every style of ending being trash or cinematic, it's a personal preference per gamer. But I'm sure, if polled as a whole, that the vast majority of gamers would classify cinematic endings like those found in final fantasy games, or even Baldur's Gate. (I'm not sure what you've played so I gave few examples, but I'm just assuming you've played BG, and at least have seen a FF cinematic from the PS1 till now)

Endings like those of this game that are unresolving, unfulfilling, and have a plain lazy feel to them, would by most gamers standards not fall into a "cinematic" catagory. REGARDLESS of the fact there is a very short, pointless cinematic at the very end before credits roll.

You have different tastes, and seem to view cinematic endings in a different way. You apparently relate quality in a different term, where most gamers would relate the term quality to "cinematic".

if an ending were simply rolling text over a black screen we would not call cinematic... but that ain't what fable did... in spite of fact that YOU is the guy who tried to mislead folks into believing that it were.

we ain't twisting. you is.

HA! Good Fun!

When the **** did I say Fable had text over a black screen? That's *YOUR* definition of a non-cinematic ending. For most gamers narration over a mural is NOT a cinematic ending...

Forget it, trying to discuss anything with you is apparently as rewarding as stabbing your eyes with a plastic spoon. You have your close-minded ideals of what cinematic endings are, and you refuse to acknowledge the existance of other opinions on the matter.

Gromnir makes a post 'bout fable... and you respond with the following:

"If you have scrolling text over a still image that's not necessarily cinematic for a video game."

if that ain't "misleading," then we don't know what is.

and keep in mind that you ain't exactly engaging in dialectic neither. even drakron points out that your notions concerning fable is twisted, but you ain't budged.

but yeah, we agree that debate with you is painful.

HA! Good Fun!

p.s. Gromnir is the guy who conceded that simply using scrolling text would not be cinematic

In response to this: "people has some strange notions of what is and is not cinematic... 'especially if their other option is "text."", Ace. It was an example that even text over an image wouldn't be cinematic. You APPEARED to be claiming anything that's not text/black screen is cinematic. My notions on Fable aren't twisted, as I've played through it several times.

Bye.

"It was an example that even text over an image wouldn't be cinematic. You APPEARED to be claiming anything that's not text/black screen is cinematic."

based on what, ace? surely nothing Gromnir said indicated that text on black screen = cinematic.

also, as the majority of the post you lifted that quote from were 'bout fable, your selective response were clearly misleading... whether you intended it to be or not... ace.

aloha.

HA! Good Fun!

"It was an example that even text over an image wouldn't be cinematic. You APPEARED to be claiming anything that's not text/black screen is cinematic."

based on what, ace?  surely nothing Gromnir said indicated that text on black screen = cinematic.

also, as the majority of the post you lifted that quote from were 'bout fable, your selective response were clearly misleading... whether you intended it to be or not... ace.

aloha.

HA! Good Fun!

Bolded word is response to the italics line.

your post must be missing something as your italics is quoting a line from a post made AFTER your bolded stuff.

you is kinda bumfuzzled, ain't you.

well, thanks anyways ace.

HA! Good Fun!

It's apparently over your head then. Let's break it down for you....

You said: "surely nothing Gromnir said indicated that text on black screen = cinematic."

I said, before you said that: "You APPEARED to be claiming anything that's not text/black screen is cinematic."

So, I went in and bolded the "not", in order to point out that your inital "surely nothing...blah blah" was already addressed. The rest of your post, I ignored, since it's a waste of time to address things with someone that only sees either a little bit, or what they want to see.

toodles

did not see not bolded... thanks for clarifying... though that still not make sense. obviously we agreed that the morrowind ending did not have a cinematic ending. Clearly we ain

No, he said it was fitting, given Fables narrative quality. There was nothing to listen to, because I never said Fable's ending didn't fit the game. I merely said it wasn't cinematic in nature.

That, sadly, is the part that you can't seem to understand. Various people have different views on what is cinematic and what isn't. You seem to think that only your view is correct, and that there are no other possible opinions no the matter.

I could just go on and on repeating "most gamers consider cinematic endings to be those of high production quality, such as Final Fantasy, Ninja Gaiden, etc...", but it's something you choose to ignore.

You used to be open minded back on those old green Baldur's Gate forums... what happened?

"Fable ending is not just text over a picture, its a movie sequence displaying the ending mural of the chamber of Fate being zoomed out, pretty similar to all movies in Fable."

cinematic=of or relating to movies. is cinematic. what part don't you get? obviously dak felt "mislead" by you as he were responding to your crak 'bout text over a static screen... but you just not want to admit.. not budge.

"most gamers consider cinematic endings to be those of high production quality, such as Final Fantasy, Ninja Gaiden, etc...",

high production quality is (as should be evident from words used,) a measure of QUALITY.

is just... odd.

we ain't changed... you just on wrong end of the ignorance stick so you feels vitimized.

HA! Good Fun!

and yet, we suspect you will.

for chrissakes, you got notions of quality wrapped up in your basic notion of what qualifies as cinematic. talk 'bout clueless.

thanks for the chuckle though.

and fact that you think that Gromnir has changed should clue you in on fact that maybe, just maybe, you is fighting the wrong battle... or fighting it wrong. most folks not change much... but your perspective of us has changed. would be good to ask self why that is.

but that would require you to be open-minded...

HA! Good Fun!

To Epiphany and Gromnir:

"Don't stop your long boring rant because of me...I was just getting all sleepy-eyed." >_<

Nah, those are several good points from both of you (though towards the end, you could substitute "good points" with "insults", & "both of you" with "Epiphany"). :ph34r:

manthing2.jpg

To Epiphany and Gromnir:

"Don't stop your long boring rant because of me...I was just getting all sleepy-eyed."  >_<

Nah, those are several good points from both of you (though towards the end, you could substitute "good points" with "insults", & "both of you" with Epiphany).  :ph34r:

You must be thinking of the other thread where I called him blubbering vagina. There was no insulting here, unless "clueless" is some new earth shattering insult that nobody has informed me of yet.

To Epiphany and Gromnir:

"Don't stop your long boring rant because of me...I was just getting all sleepy-eyed."  >_<

Nah, those are several good points from both of you (though towards the end, you could substitute "good points" with "insults", & "both of you" with Epiphany).  :ph34r:

You must be thinking of the other thread where I called him blubbering vagina.

That's the one. ^_^

*giggles*

manthing2.jpg