PC SUBJECT TO XBOX "LIMITATIONS"

A good video card that is bottlenecked by slow/bad motherboard/CPU/memory is not very useful, while a system with good motherboard/CPU/memory with a slow video card should run fine, save for features.

I suppose the former is my case. I have a Radeon 9600 XT 128 but it can only run at 4x because that's the fastest my motherboard supports. However, it's important to note that while upgrading the GPU is relatively easy, upgrading the motherboard is usually not recommended for hardware neophytes.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

A good video card that is bottlenecked by slow/bad motherboard/CPU/memory is not very useful, while a system with good motherboard/CPU/memory with a slow video card should run fine, save for features.

I suppose the former is my case. I have a Radeon 9600 XT 128 but it can only run at 4x because that's the fastest my motherboard supports. However, it's important to note that while upgrading the GPU is relatively easy, upgrading the motherboard is usually not recommended for hardware neophytes.

If you saying 4x, as in AGP 4x, don't worry. AGP 8x DOES increase your fps, but only by ONE FPS! (w00t)

So, you don't really need to worry about that; it's the motheboard chip performance , stability, and compatibility that matters the most.

I have 256 mb VRAM and 512 mb RAM.

Memory is cheap, going from 512 to 1gb system RAM will make more of a difference for most games than going from 128 to 256mb VRAM. I've seen it myself, upgrading system RAM always had a larger impact on performance than upgrading the video card, of course, you top out eventually, might not see a difference if you already have 1gb RAM or even 128mb VRAM.

my suggestion, buy some more RAM Hades, what's wrong with you?

Naw, the mininum today for system RAM is 128 MB RAM, due to the availability of ones are that good quality and very cheap at  the same time.

Video ram is at least 64 MB RAM. Technically, most games can handle fine with only 32 MB RAM of VRAM anyway, but  it  is not too common anymore.

a) I bought a system with 128mb ram in 2000... If somebody sells a system with 128 ram only...then this is cheating!

b) If the game allows you to use low res textures you can play with a 32mb vram card...otherwise, 64mb is the minimum.

Naw, the mininum today for system RAM is 128 MB RAM, due to the availability of ones are that good quality and very cheap at  the same time.

Video ram is at least 64 MB RAM. Technically, most games can handle fine with only 32 MB RAM of VRAM anyway, but  it  is not too common anymore.

a) I bought a system with 128mb ram in 2000... If somebody sells a system with 128 ram only...then this is cheating!

b) If the game allows you to use low res textures you can play with a 32mb vram card...otherwise, 64mb is the minimum.

Yeah, 128MB is still the minimum; I never said it is was the norm :(

The Norma is around 256 to 512 MB nowadays.

Yeah, 128MB is still the minimum; I never said it is was the norm :thumbsup:

The Norma is around 256 to 512 MB nowadays.

Well, here in europe I haven

Yeah, and the pc/xbox version of KotOR run under directX and use a similiar windows version.

But the craphics chip of the Xbox is a special version of the gf4ti with 64mb shared memory. *shudder*  ;)

No...KotOR for PC runs on OpenGL, just like Neverwinter Nights does. Bioware's engines have used OpenGL for 3D acceleration for as long as I can remember.

Yeah, and the pc/xbox version of KotOR run under directX and use a similiar windows version.

But the craphics chip of the Xbox is a special version of the gf4ti with 64mb shared memory. *shudder*  ;)

No...KotOR for PC runs on OpenGL, just like Neverwinter Nights does. Bioware's engines have used OpenGL for 3D acceleration for as long as I can remember.

Are you sure? Then why do you need to install directx when installing these games?

Maybe you are right, but maybe you can run the game under openGL and directx. Like Hexen2, FarCry etc.

Update: I have found this.

http://swforums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html...91&topic=338178

So it does use openGL for graphics, and directX for sound.

1. Motherboard

2. CPU

3. Memory

4. Video Card

I would say

1. Motherboard

2. Video Card

3. Memory

4. CPU

For the longest time, I was using a PII 350MHz. I recently bought a TI500 since they were selling for like $30 and I put it in my machine. I also bought 1gb of pc 100 SDRAM and I tried installing KotOR just to see what kind of performance I'd get. I actually managed to play KotOR even though the CPU was 650MHz short of the requirements. I did 15 FPS @ 800*600 using the Low texture pack. Thats not bad for a system which came out 3 years before the game did. Ofcourse, the game did take like 10 minutes to load and the system did crash after I closed KotOR but heh....