Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Barlast on Bloodlines (SPOILERS GALORE)

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes

what caused the dead to rise from the graveyards for an example? must have been something extremely powerful

That was most likely due to the influence of Caine.

I, and most other people(especially those with no experience of V:tM PnP), would have liked for loose ends like that to be properly and thoroughly explained by the end of the game. The "jack and mysterious cabdriver" scene raised more questions than it answered and it seemed like a huge setup for a sequel which is really bad since there wont be one.

And regarding disciplines, it would have been extremely difficult to implement the PnP ones correctly into the game. Not to mention alot of them would have been completely unusable like most levels of Animalism

Dark Wanderer

Dark Wanderer

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 770 posts

I, and most other people(especially those with no experience of V:tM PnP), would have liked for loose ends like that to be properly and thoroughly explained by the end of the game. The "jack and mysterious cabdriver" scene raised more questions than it answered

Agreed.

and it seemed like a huge setup for a sequel which is really bad since there wont be one.

Who or what says that there won't be a sequel? Various interviews mentioned that a sequel isn't impossible through nothing is decided yet - and it all probably depends on how well Bloodlines sold, the feedback and then what White Wolf has to say in the matter.

And regarding disciplines, it would have been extremely difficult to implement the PnP ones correctly into the game. Not to mention alot of them would have been completely unusable like most levels of Animalism

Maybe so. I wouldn't know, never played the PnP game :). But do of course realize that even with today's computer technology, some things are far from easy to put to reality in a game...

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
  • Location:In the middle of the night when everything was still, she heard clawing and gnawing, nibbling and squabbling. She could hear the wolves in the walls, plotting their wolfish plots, hatching their wolfish schemes
There cant be a direct sequel because WW has already detailed what happens later(up until the end of the WoD, right? havent read em myself) in the Gehenna novels and since Troika have to make their stories canon with the WW metaplot = no sequel. Of course they could make a prequel(hah) or a game set in the Vampire: Requiem setting.

Dark Wanderer

Dark Wanderer

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 770 posts

There cant be a direct sequel because WW has already detailed what happens later(up until the end of the WoD, right? havent read em myself) in the Gehenna novels and since Troika have to make their stories canon with the WW metaplot = no sequel.

I see. but wouldn't it be possible for them to make a sequel in Gehenna setting? haven't read that one myself, but as I've head it, it has quite a few scenarios, so would it be impossible for Troika to use one of those?

Of course they could make a prequel(hah)

Perhaps not a bad idea. I'd like to see a VtM game set in the Medieval times or even the Roman era anyway :).

or a game set in the Vampire: Requiem setting.

I wonder if that's possible - I got the impression that the new WoD is still largely unfinished and still being buildt up in many aspects, thus I think it'd be kind of hard to make a game based on that for now.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5327 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer

I, and most other people(especially those with no experience of V:tM PnP), would have liked for loose ends like that to be properly and thoroughly explained by the end of the game. The "jack and mysterious cabdriver" scene raised more questions than it answered and it seemed like a huge setup for a sequel which is really bad since there wont be one.

You got that right. If anything I didn't like about the ending it was that. If there is something you don't quite understand, you are left hanging with the doubt. Again, I said 'that was more likely', because it's an educated guess. They could have explained a lot of things of the plot a little more indepth.

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
The lack of resolution and plethora of loose ends plays a big part in my opinion that the end was anticlimactic.

I see. but wouldn't it be possible for them to make a sequel in Gehenna setting? haven't read that one myself, but as I've head it, it has quite a few scenarios, so would it be impossible for Troika to use one of those?

I cant say, I havent read any of the gehenna material.

I'd like to see a VtM game set in the Medieval times or even the Roman era anyway.

Vampire: Dark Ages, forgot about that one. Id love the idea of an epic tale stretching from the days of ancient Summeria to the modern nights. It would take one hell of a designer to pull it together in a credible fashion though since the normal "hack tingz til youz get strongah and can kill da big boss" approach would be impossible. Well, not a designer actually, more a publisher that would be willing to go out on a limb for a game that would probably be far too complex for the regular DnD numbnuts.

But on the other hands, the modern nights is where its at. Its what the original idea was about and where the core of VtMs soul and appeal lies.

I wonder if that's possible - I got the impression that the new WoD is still largely unfinished and still being buildt up in many aspects, thus I think it'd be kind of hard to make a game based on that for now.

Thats the whole beauty of VR, a whole new world that isnt clogged with ten years worth of garbage addons that did more harm than good. A fresh start with limitless possibilities(no idiotic metaplot for game devs to adhere to). VR is a fresh restart that IMO holds everything that made Vt; great but in a purified form.

I know Justin Achilli has been talking about this for years(ever since the ancient days of 1998 when I was a neonate on the old old WW boards) and I think its good he finally got what he wanted.

Dark Wanderer

Dark Wanderer

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 770 posts

The lack of resolution and plethora of loose ends plays a big part in my opinion that the end was anticlimactic.

Agreed.

I cant say, I havent read any of the gehenna material.

Thne no further comment on this part before one of us have read soem gehenna material! :ermm:

Vampire: Dark Ages, forgot about that one. Id love the idea of an epic tale stretching from the days of ancient Summeria to the modern nights. It would take one hell of a designer to pull it together in a credible fashion though since the normal "hack tingz til youz get strongah and can kill da big boss" approach would be impossible. Well, not a designer actually, more a publisher that would be willing to go out on a limb for a game that would probably be far too complex for the regular DnD numbnuts.

Hmm, dunno if I'd want to see it stretch over such a long time - or if it'd even be possible to do. One era/age is enough for me. It'd be cool, of course, if it was conneted to more than one era in the way you describe - kind of like in Redemption - but it'd be hard to pull off in a good way, I think...

But on the other hands, the modern nights is where its at. Its what the original idea was about and where the core of VtMs soul and appeal lies.

True enough, I suppose, the Modern Nights is the very core of VtM as far as I've seen...

Thats the whole beauty of VR, a whole new world that isnt clogged with ten years worth of garbage addons that did more harm than good. A fresh start with limitless possibilities(no idiotic metaplot for game devs to adhere to). VR is a fresh restart that IMO holds everything that made Vt; great but in a purified form.

Hmm, you've defintively got a point there. Well, if anyone'd be willing to try that, WW agree and they pull it off well enough, then it could be a good idea :p.

I know Justin Achilli has been talking about this for years(ever since the ancient days of 1998 when I was a neonate on the old old WW boards) and I think its good he finally got what he wanted.

Justin Achilli? Who's that?

Kaftan Barlast

Kaftan Barlast

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 4737 posts
Justin is the the big cheese of WW..

Eclecticist

Eclecticist

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 179 posts
I'll contribute by saying that the endings in V:tMB would not have worked in a PnP campaign, but were satisfactory in the PC game. I wasn't disappointed. It was an ending, a resolution, it is what you work towards: there is no point in being pissed about what it is, the discovery is half of the enjoyment.

213374U

213374U

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 5327 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
Funny, I thought the endings would have been pretty fitting for a PnP V:tM campaign. Not for anyother game or setting, but definitely for V:tM.

Well, opposite viewpoints are what make these boards worth reading. :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users