What do you usualy use math for in making a game?

Kalesar

Just wondering. I have only ever taken finite math at college and im just not getting where it would be usefull in programming. That might have something to do with all my programming classes never having any math done in the programs we write.

In my finite math class we covered things like probabilities and permutations and I just didnt see any point in knowing all of that. There was also some arrays that were nothing like arrays in programming and stuff like finding equation of a line.

Is that because finite math isnt the one that I probably should have taken to be a programmer?

Or is the math more for computer artists?

Or perhaps I should have taken the class at a later time in the day so I got more than 5 hours of sleep before going... or... maby I should have gone every day... heck.. every other day would have been more consistent than my attendance.

The ones that you have taken will be the base for further studies in linear algebra and discrete maths.

As a game programmer you would probably find useful to do:

- Linear Algebra ("equation of the line" stuff, matrices, vectors) - ESSENTIAL for 3D graphics, game physics.

- Discrete Mathematics (that's where permutations come from), useful for AI models, and generally a close area to programming.

+ And any other math you like, because being a competent programmer usually implies to be a "mathematically mature" person (that means, you have suffered through a lot of maths and you have altered your way of thinking)

+ a lot of programming/problem solving practice wouldn't hurt :)

As for applications in gaming, Linear Algebra is really useful. It can be used for collision detection, view tranformation (like spinning you around at angles), and all sorts of other types of things required of moving you around in a 3D, or infinitely dimensional world. Luckily I had a Math professor who was interested in 3D computing, so every new topic ended in a discussion of the possibilities and uses for it.

algebra was piece of cake, so was statistics compared to that thing..

The problem with statistics is not the difficulty of the subject, but that it is unbearably boring. I can't stand it! So, I barely attended any lectures, learned all the stuff the night before the exam and got pass. :p

Do you think we scared him enough, yet?

Math is acctualy pretty easy for me.

Got my final grades for this last semester and for a class in which I did exactly 0% of the daily work and showed up every third day of class I still got a B.

Its just kinda boring. Perhaps a better question is what part (if any) of making a game doesnt require high end math?

My guess is things that have more to do with rules, or possibly AI programming.

Math is acctualy pretty easy for me.

Got my final grades for this last semester and for a class in which I did exactly 0% of the daily work and showed up every third day of class I still got a B.

Its just kinda boring. Perhaps a better question is what part (if any) of making a game doesnt require high end math?

My guess is things that have more to do with rules, or possibly AI programming.

Maybe math at your school isn't strong enough. If math is easy, you should consider studying something yourself (if you are determined enough), or take advanced equivalents of math subjects, because game programming involves a lot of math.

For AI, you have to take a look at Discrete math and Graph Theory, in particular.

I can't think of any math that has something to do with game rules, but if you want a game to support scripted rules (you wouldn't want to hardcode it), theoretical computer science and compilers is the way to go.

Not exactly pure math, but it's a lifetime topic to study.

The best information on the topic you will get a book on game programming in general to get an idea, which direction you should be heading to. I have D. Dalmau's Core Techniques and Algorithms in Game Programming and it covers all the topics of game programming, but not very deeply. If you don't have money, just flip through it at the bookshop :D

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

math is easy until you really reach the higher levels, then the fun is gone and it becomes tedious but in the end it's just a question of repeating alot until you think it's easy.then go on with the nextstep.

i really hate those "show that X is equal to Y" questions they allways contain some very weird steps. and the fact that math nolonger contain any numbers and only diffrent variabels.

but in the end. thing are easy if you know them hard if you don't.

Mathematics is very much like painting or music, you can only get so far by practise. You need real born talent to reach the higher levels.

me, I never got further than calculating Derrivators

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

i really hate those "show that X is equal to Y" questions...

That's the main point for studying math for a programmer - forming a logical, mathematical type of thinking.

...they allways contain some very weird steps.

...but logical steps. That's the beauty of maths. :lol:

That's the nature of learning something. First, it is fun, because you have just started, and you get to know new different things, then it is tedious, because you have to get a lot of practice before get to phase 3, where you stop noticing the basic details and get onto a new level. It is like starting to think on character's design after you have learned drawing techniques and anatomy, or about program's architecture and general solution after you know how to code fluently and use the APIs.

The catch is to not stop, when you think, "Okay, I know alot, but it is so boring, I will switch to something else".