Why they shouldn't have a new engine just yet

The story about the 3 different versions of the XBox was from the same website that said Microsoft was produing their own CPU for the XBox and PC's.  That same website also said NVidia was making the GPU for the XBox.  That website made a lot of completely fake/bogus claims.  There won't be 3 versions of the XBox 2 (Xenon, XBox Next, XBox FS, whatever they will call it).

Microsoft spends a lot of money to ensure that XBox Live is secure.  They have been doing a lot more to ensure that people don't get on XBox Live with modded XBoxes.

Putting PC's on XBox Live will change everything.  You'll have cheaters and exploits, you'll have been with advantages due to superior hardware.

M$ will only lose money on the deal.

Having an "optional" HDD is also bad because Live uses the HDD, and programmers can't build support for the HDD into games if not every has the HDD.

We know how that worked for Sony.

Steve Balmer from M$ has said that flash memory is more likely than another HDD in the XBox 2, but it will have built in storage of some kind, and I'm willing to bet money there will be one model of the XBox 2.

Two things about your post;

first can you provide a link to where Steve Balmer is talking about the HDD please?

Second, sicne Playstation (aka Sony) is going to make three different version of the PS3 I don't think its too far out of the realm of possibility for the Xbox to have atleast two incarnations if not three, mainly so that they don't get the short end of the stick when it comes to controlling the market... which billy bob gates loves to do. I mean if the PS3 will comes with all the same options as are listed above as coming in the next Xbox (i.e. HDD, normal console, and full computer capabilities) then I am sure M$ is look at ways to save money but to offer the same type options.

That's true.  They could still release XBox 1 games after the XBox 2 launch.  But the XBox 2 may not be backwards compatible due to the fact that the XBox 1 runs on NVidia technology, and the XBox 2 will run on ATI technology.  They haven't paid the rights to license NVidia pixel shaders in the XBox 2.

Who knows?

I read something a while ago that M$ is working with a company who speacializes in emulating. I forget exactly where I read it but I think it was gamespy or maybe XBN (though we all know how reliable their info is :thumbsup: )

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

First off, I don't know that Sony will have three PS3's either. When Sony was developing the PSX (not the PS1, which was officially the PSX, but the PS2.5, which was also the PSX) then rumors were flying that both the PS3 and the XBox 2 will have DVR support, DVD burners, and the works.

Now that we're getting closer to the releases for these consoles, I think we're learning more, but we won't really know officially what the XBox 2 will be like until January when Bill Gates officially announces it, and then e3 when we see it for the first time up close.

xbox-scene.com is a good place for news, and this thread here has a good history of all the XBox 2 development news including M$'s decision to pursue flash memory, and the possibility of backwards compatibility.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=155839&st=0

(M$ already owns the rights to a PC Emulation program that may be used with the XBox/XBox 2).

First off, I don't know that Sony will have three PS3's either.  When Sony was developing the PSX (not the PS1, which was officially the PSX, but the PS2.5, which was also the PSX) then rumors were flying that both the PS3 and the XBox 2 will have DVR support, DVD burners, and the works.

Now that we're getting closer to the releases for these consoles, I think we're learning more, but we won't really know officially what the XBox 2 will be like until January when Bill Gates officially announces it, and then e3 when we see it for the first time up close.

xbox-scene.com is a good place for news, and this thread here has a good history of all the XBox 2 development news including M$'s decision to pursue flash memory, and the possibility of backwards compatibility.

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=155839&st=0

Very true I guess things do change as the release date comes closer, and My info if probably a couple months old so they may have indeed decided to scrape the whole idea of seperate versions.

(M$ already owns the rights to a PC Emulation program that may be used with the XBox/XBox 2).

As I said above I read in an article from one of the game mags... I am leening to XBN (tried to check for sure but my computer locked up trying to load their damb main page) that they were outsourcing the emulating to another company, why I am not exactly sure but I just remember reading that they were. hell at the moment I couldn't even tell you who it was they were talking to. :D but once agian things could have changed since then and also adding in the fact that 1up isn't the most reliable people to get info from that makes it even worse :thumbsup: .

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

AscendedPaladin.png

It's been a while since I read the article, but I think M$ bought out VMWare, and that company would be doing the backwards compatibility emulation if possible.

I'm not sure if that solves the legal issue of NVidia's technology not being licensed in the XBox 2 however.

It's been a while since I read the article, but I think M$ bought out VMWare, and that company would be doing the backwards compatibility emulation if possible.

I'm not sure if that solves the legal issue of NVidia's technology not being licensed in the XBox 2 however.

VMWare, thats the company, kind of a well duh moment there, but when I say the name it just kinda clicked :p . Yeah I remember reading that it was them they were talking to about doing the emulating so I guess they bought them so hopefully they can make X2 backwards compatible other wise its really going to suck ass.

AscendedPaladin.png

Well, we'll know soon I hope.  January 5th is the CES in Vegas, and Bill Gates is the keynote speaker.  He's supposed to announce the XBox 2.

Either way.

I don't really care about the xbox version.

I just want K3 for PC as fast as possible. Keeping the same engine woulnd't affect my opinion on the game.

Also as GOA has already said, ti would give a feeling of being a trilogy. SO if there's any change to have K3 REALLY fast then I'd say go for it.

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

If they are gonna use some different engine with more advanced graphics and all that, they better release it for the next-gen consoles, they will surely handle it just fine. I simply can not upgrade my PC and that's it.

I hope we can also refrain from the "M$" thing, very immature.