Sentinels - Hot or Not?

First:

From what i've read, the game is fairly easy, alright,

But still i don't like to start over again after 10 hours because i found out that the class combo i'm playing suckz big time.

So:

What do the owners of the game think, is the sentinel useful to be played?

AFAIK the progression is:

(Feats - Powers - Skills)

Consular: Low - High - Low

Guardian: High - Low - Low

Sentinel: Low - Low - High

Is this correct?

Basically i'd like to play a character with many (dialog) options, who is a decent melee fighter as well. As skills are said to be much more important in K2, sentinel would fit me best?

Would be nice if someone could share his experinences :p

I'm about 20 hrs into the game using a sentinel. It has been very enjoyable so far. I have loads of skill points, which has helped a great deal when dealing with dialog. I usually have at least 1 or 2 skill related options per dialog. I get 1 force power per level (plus any bonus powers earned that level or through the storyline), and I think it's been 1 feat every 3 levels (might be every other level, haven't really kept track). My character doesn't do massive damage in combat, nor can she tank a battalion of sith troopers, but she performs pretty decently in combat. Then again, I haven't used all my feats and powers strictly with combat in mind. I've used feats for making cross-class skills into class skills (only demolitions is not a class skill for me, and I plan to rectify that with my next feat). I've put powers into force persuade and the like for dialog options. Overall, I'd say the sentinel class is a nicely rounded one, and the absolute best to get as much out of dialog as possible. Playing through the first time as a sentinel will probably spoil me though. When I play through again as a guardian and then cosular, I doubt I have anywhere near the same amount of dialog options, and will miss a lot of stuff. Ah well. Those are the breaks.

I think Sentinel is more like medium - medium - high

But that would mean they are more powerful than the other two classes, as Skills are so very important ? :ph34r:

Some Prima Guide owner knows the 'truth'?

Actually, Ive got it with me right now. :) And, as far as I can tell, although there is bound to be one that is better than the others they seem fairly balanced. Skills are pretty important for item creation and dialogue. On the other hand, use of the Force and combat could easily turn the balance of power to another class depending on your style of play.

One note though: There are no tables in the guide to....well, "guide" you to a class. No skill/feat/force power progressions are listed. So there is no way, short of doing the math(which I plan on doing at some point), to figure it out.

First:

In my experience, the Sentinel is the best class, bar none. The progression according to the book looks like this*:

Feats Powers Skills

Consular: Low High Low*

Guardian: High Average Low

Sentinel: Average Average Average

*I've noticed that in actual gameplay that Consulars seem to get Average Skill point progression, but their selection of skills aren't as good as those of the Sentinels.

A Sentinel given the Class Skill: Demolitions Feat at first level with a 14 Intelligence can have Awareness, Persuade and Treat Injury all maxed out with Computer, Demolitions, Security and Stealth at half strength by fifth level and keep it that way for the rest of the game (assuming your Prestige choice is Watchman or Master, if you become a Weapons Master, you'll have to give up your half skills and focus on your maxed skills and combat abilities). With a judicious use of Feats, that Character is unbeatable.

First:

From what i've read, the game is fairly easy, alright,

But still i don't like to start over again after 10 hours because i found out that the class combo i'm playing suckz big time.

So:

Is this correct?

Basically i'd like to play a character with many (dialog) options, who is a decent  melee fighter as well. As skills are said to be much more important in K2, sentinel would fit me best?

Would be nice if someone could share his experinences  :thumbsup:

Depends on what type of character you play. I played a DS consular, and found that, though I was omnipotent, I wasted force powers on things that I never used.

Oh yeah, btw, consulars are decent in melee by the end. You'll probably end up doing more damage than anyone else on your party when you factor in terrible pathfinding, melee AI, and your power increases due to being the Player character. Hell, I ended up with 600+ force points, way more than you might ever need.

I would be happy to tell you which powers to pick/avoid. But overall, the sentinal would seem the way to go, considering there aren't enough good feats/powers to last you until 25th level.

Sentinels, unlike the original KOTOR, are probobly the best class now. They strike a balance between Skills, Force Powers, and combat ability that is essential in The Sith Lords. I would play as one if I were you before trying Consulor or Guardian.

The Dark Lord

swesbrly5iz.gif

I just finished the game as a Sentinel. I had no complaints.

Yes, you can have problems with the class, but only if you get careless with your choices. There's lots of options available with the class, and its important to stay focused and emphasize your strengths when building your character.

But that's pretty much normal in any event.

I went through the game as a neutral Sentinel who focused on Wisdom, Charisma, Awareness and Persuasion. I only used one regular old lightsaber. I never got a prestige class 'cause I was neutral.

Only died with my main character in the last dungeon - and only then when I wasn't paying enough attention.

You should be fine building your character however you want.

Do they have better special abilitites now? That was actually the big flaw in the Sentinal more than anything else: their special immunities practically never came in play. I think, runnign throgh as a scout councilar, that I was affected by one of those stun tpe attacks the Sentinal evades all of 3 times. And one of those was in the first world...

Hmm ;)

If i understood it right, the effort of creating items on the workbench heavily depends on the repair skill of the PC.

Can anyone confirm, that items from chars with high repair skill are better (or have respectively more options for items to create)?

If so, it'll be the killing argument for choosing sentinel IMHO :)"

Hmm  ;)

If i understood it right, the effort of creating items on the workbench heavily depends on the repair skill of the PC.

Can anyone confirm, that items from chars with high repair skill are better (or have respectively more options for items to create)?

If so, it'll be the killing argument for choosing sentinel IMHO  :)"

I know your PC's repair skill determines how many components the item can be broken into. Regardless of who is using the workbench. It sucks ass if you have 0 Repair skills and 10 INT. *cough* Like me. :angry:

I know your PC's repair skill determines how many components the item can be broken into.  Regardless of who is using the workbench.  It sucks ass if you have 0 Repair skills and 10 INT. *cough* Like me. :angry:

Err, ok, what is the sense of getting many components from breaking items on the workbench? :">

*Turns on computer terminal at Library on Coruscant*

(really opens up powers of the jedi and revise rule book)

nothing in powers of the jedi(but hey i couldn't remember)

revised core rulebook

nothing there either.

hero builders guide

????(don't have that one)

wizards place online

none there either(well not anymore)

njo sopurce book

(don't got this one either)

the class never appeased me in kotor I

so it won't Like appease me in Kototr II: the sith lords

it wont appease me either in Kotor III: the search for revan

its only got immune to fear. but all average, seems like it was created as a class taht could start all the other jedi class skills and abilities but excell at none.

Strength through Mercy

Head Torturor of the Cult of the Anti-gnome

Hmm  :(

If so, it'll be the killing argument for choosing sentinel IMHO  :)"

Creating items/upgrades at workbenches/lab stations doesn't just use Repair. Every skill except Persuasion is used in order to make different items. For instance (the skill levels listed are just random numbers. I don't remember the exact requirements), to make a life support pack, you'll need a Treat Injury skill of 18 or higher. In order to make a lens upgrade for your lightsaber, you'll need Security, with the required skill level based on the benefits of the upgrade. To make mines or grenades, you'll need Demolitions. To make a blaster, you'll use Repair. Other than the items that require a certain level of Repair to make, Repair only affects how many components you can break and item into. The higher your Repair skill, the more components you get. You then use these components to create other items.

I know your PC's repair skill determines how many components the item can be broken into.  Regardless of who is using the workbench.  It sucks ass if you have 0 Repair skills and 10 INT. *cough* Like me. :angry:

I saw someone mention this bug on the tech support forum, but they also said that latter on in the game the workbenches function correctly when breaking down items depending on who actually uses the workbench. The bug appears to be due to specific workbenches, and not the "break-down" system itself. I haven't tested this theory out myself though, yet.

Creating items/upgrades at workbenches/lab stations doesn't just use Repair. Every skill except Persuasion is used in order to make different items. For instance (the skill levels listed are just random numbers. I don't remember the exact requirements), to make a life support pack, you'll need a Treat Injury skill of 18 or higher. In order to make a lens upgrade for your lightsaber, you'll need Security, with the required skill level based on the benefits of the upgrade. To make mines or grenades, you'll need Demolitions. To make a blaster, you'll use Repair. Other than the items that require a certain level of Repair to make, Repair only affects how many components you can break and item into. The higher your Repair skill, the more components you get. You then use these components to create other items.

Ok, that makes sense. Just one additional question: Do the items you can create on workbenches differ from the (random) items you may find in the later game?

Higher skill allows for the creation of better items. As you increase skill any items using that skill will continue to appear but be grayed out until you have the skill to make them. Additionally items which require much higher skill than you possess will not show up at all until you get close to the skill required to make them. The repair skill increases the amount of components you recieve breaking down items at a work bench.

Higher skill allows for the creation of better items. As you increase skill any items using that skill will continue to appear but be grayed out until you have the skill to make them. Additionally items which require much higher skill than you possess will not show up at all until you get close to the skill required to make them. The repair skill increases the amount of components you recieve breaking down items at a work bench.

Many thanks. But do the items you can create at the workbench differ from the items which can be found in-game anyway?

No. Items that you create are exactly the same as what you can find during the game, but some of the most powerful items/upgrades can only be crafted and not found (At a HUGE cost for some of them. There's a lightsaber lens that costs 450+ components and requires around a 25-26 in Security to make.)

OK, but what special abilities doe they get? Is it still those awful immunities?

Yes, sentinels still recieve Immunity:Fear, Immunity:Stun and Immunity:Paralysis. I wouldn't really call those awful though. I always found it nice to not have to worry about concussion grenades or the Fear and Stun lines of force powers. Just my own opinion though.