what processor is better?

roshan

can i have some further advice on these 2 things? what specific nvidia cards should i look out for? and im still confused about whether to get a pentium 4, m, centrino, athlon or celeron!!!

If you really want an Nvidia GPU, then I'd recommend the GeForce FX Go5700. It is very powerful and yet not too pricey. It should be able to handle Half-Life 2 without problems.

My favourite among processors would be the AMD Athlon 64. It combines future safety (Windows 64 coming soon!) with exceptional processing power to a reasonable price. But they are all good processors, except for the Intel Celeron which I would stay away from.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

can anyone tell me any specific nvidia cards to look out for?

also, im still not clear on which microprocessor to go for. should i get an intel pentium 4, m, centrino or celeron? isnt the celeron crap for gaming? if so then i probably dont want that.

what exactly is the difference between the m, centrino and 4???

I didnt see the replies because my page was not refreshing. I think i will avoid buying celerons and centrinos because they sound like crap.

But what about the pentium 4 and m? Which one of those should i get? Whats the difference between them?

I didnt see the replies because my page was not refreshing. I think i will avoid buying celerons and centrinos because they sound like crap.

But what about the pentium 4 and m? Which one of those should i get? Whats the difference between them?

Sorry but the pentium 4 is no microprocessor!

There are only M or centrino from Intel! I think centrino is better than M but even a little bit bigger.

But now a general question: Why do you want a notebook for playing and no normal PC, even a notebook is more expensive? :)

There seems to be a some misinformation about Intels processor lineup. There is no Centrino processor.

...Centrino is not a processor. Rather in order for a laptop computer to be called "Centrino", it must have the new Pentium M processor, an  Intel 855 chipset, and an Intel PRO/Wireless 2100 (802.11b) or Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG (802.11b/g) network card.

- http://www.powernotebooks.com/centrino.php

The Celeron is Intel's old mobile processor (stay away from it). I'd also stay away from Laptops with Pentium 4s in them as they produce a lot of heat and drain batteries very quickly. The Pentium-Ms are actually pretty good but they are also fairly spendy. Also make sure to note that Pentium 4-M processors are not the same as Pentium-M processors (The Pentium 4-M ones arn't as good).

here are some benchmarks comparing the Pentium-M the Pentium 4 and Athlon 64

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.as...desktop&page=11

Here are some more gaming benchmarks comparing those same processors.

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.as...angaming&page=4

A few more benchmarks.

http://www.gen-x-pc.com/review_dothan_pro.htm

Pentium 4's that are released today are quite different from the Pentium 4's of old.

There are different classes of Pentium 4's with different front side bus speeds, some support hyper threading, etc. They have released tons of NEW Pentium 4 processors since 2001.

For a while, the Pentium 4 processors were better than anything AMD had out on the market, but right now I prefer the AMD processors for most uses, especially gaming machines.

4. Don't buy from Alienware unless you want to pay too much.

Actually, I was quite surprised. I recently bought an Alienware PC, and once I factored in the $500 rebate (which I haven't yet received!), it was priced competitively. I also noticed that the rebate dropped from $500 to $300 and the overall price seemed to have gone up a bit about a week after I bought mine. The service has been great. My only real complaint is that it's a bit noisy.

Lady E.

Pentium 4's that are released today are quite different from the Pentium 4's of old.

There are different classes of Pentium 4's with different front side bus speeds, some support hyper threading, etc.  They have released tons of NEW Pentium 4 processors since 2001.

For a while, the Pentium 4 processors were better than anything AMD had out on the market, but right now I prefer the AMD processors for most uses, especially gaming machines.

The bettest Pentium 4 has 2.66 GHz. I think that a AMD 64 Athlon has 3 GHz.

The bettest Pentium 4 has 2.66 GHz. I think that a AMD 64 Athlon has 3 GHz.

P4 3.6 GHZ

AMD Athlon 64 fx55 2.4 GHZ

Usually only in bench marks so the people that actually had to have the fastest computer bought P4 and paid a crap load for it. Which now AMD with the fx55 has taken the lead, a chip you will also pay a crap load for.

Clock speed isn't the end all of a processor.

It's true that Intel has a higher clock speed. They usually do.

When AMD calls a processor a 3400+, that means in benchmarks it should perform around, or slightly better than Intel's equivalent 3.4

Right now the Athlon 64 is getting better benchmarks in games, and has a higher FSB, considerably.

The Athlon 64 has a higher upside for when the full Windows 64 is released. You can download a free beta of Windows 64, I believe. But I'm not running an Athlon 64 yet, so I haven't tried it.

It's true that Intel has a higher clock speed.  They usually do.

When AMD calls a processor a 3400+, that means in benchmarks it should perform around, or slightly better than Intel's equivalent 3.4

Right now the Athlon 64 is getting better benchmarks in games, and has a higher FSB, considerably.

The Athlon 64 has a higher upside for when the full Windows 64 is released.  You can download a free beta of Windows 64, I believe.  But I'm not running an Athlon 64 yet, so I haven't tried it.

I am not excited of downloading some beta versions, usually my own works without one! :D

It's true that Intel has a higher clock speed.  They usually do.

The Athlon 64 has a higher upside for when the full Windows 64 is released.  You can download a free beta of Windows 64, I believe.  But I'm not running an Athlon 64 yet, so I haven't tried it.

Apple has said this for ages unfortunatly it took a PC chip maker to say it for everyone to sit up and take notice. The whole reason the 4 bit Athlon is ruling the bench marks is because of the on board memory controller.

Actually, I was quite surprised. I recently bought an Alienware PC, and once I factored in the $500 rebate (which I haven't yet received!), it was priced competitively. I also noticed that the rebate dropped from $500 to $300 and the overall price seemed to have gone up a bit about a week after I bought mine. The service has been great. My only real complaint is that it's a bit noisy.

Lady E.

Alienware is no different than any other company, they have there budget, midrange and top of the line PCs.

Pre configured ALX area 51 7700 is almost 7000.00, seems a little steep.

Preconfigured Dell XPS 4500.00 and the specs are close, not exact but close.

So where does all the extra cash go?

Lady E.

Alienware is no different than any other company, they have there budget, midrange and top of the line PCs.

Pre configured ALX area 51 7700 is almost 7000.00, seems a little steep.

Preconfigured Dell XPS 4500.00 and the specs are close, not exact but close.

So where does all the extra cash go?

It's not always easy to see the difference between two brands when they have almost the exact same specs. But I can imagine Alienware using top of the line brands instead of the cheapest availible. For example, a Powercolor Radeon 9800 Pro won't perform as well as an ABIT Radeon 9800 Pro, even though they have the exact same specs. Why? In the case I mentioned it's because of different memory quality. ABIT buys expensive components for their GPU's while Powercolor buys the cheapest possible.

Perhaps Alienware uses expensive memory brands, expensive GPU brands and expensive motherboards and hd's?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

It's not always easy to see the difference between two brands when they have almost the exact same specs. But I can imagine Alienware using top of the line brands instead of the cheapest availible. For example, a Powercolor Radeon 9800 Pro won't perform as well as an ABIT Radeon 9800 Pro, even though they have the exact same specs. Why? In the case I mentioned it's because of different memory quality. ABIT buys expensive components for their GPU's while Powercolor buys the cheapest possible.

Perhaps Alienware uses expensive memory brands, expensive GPU brands and expensive motherboards and hd's?

Expense is a realative term. I stick by my assertion that you can get the exact same parts; except for the case; for a much cheaper price. I am positive if you do the digging you can find the exact parts listed for much cheaper. I have not tried to say Alienware builds a poor computer, I just think they charge to damn much for most of them.