About Lightsaber Forms

Someone said you should take a hit to speed when dual weilding or using a double bladed sabre.

I disagree.

It seems to me that the disadvantages of using two sabres would be to defense against melee--e.g. a hard two-handed on sabre strike would be difficult to block using a blade in the off hand.

It seems that the deficiency of a staff sabre should be in defense versus ranged/blaster deflection. Since a blaster shot would be coming directly at the wielder, an attempted block would most likely hit the machinery and not the blade--unless the blastee were to swing one end and deflect the shot like a baseball which could not be a consistently viable defense.

Staff sabres should be good defensively against melee and dual sabres should be just fine for blaster deflection.

Maybe they should've added the feat "ambidextrous" .. and you should only be able to use dual ligtsabers effectively if you have the feat! and it could cost 2 feast or something?

I have been fencing for a while, and I'm not ambidextrous so I know how hard it is to use two swords .. VERY hard .. although Jedis do have the force to guide them!

you automatically use the forms when using Lightsabers right? so naturally you must use a form, even if you wield a double or dual ligthsaber(s) .. Some could be restricted of course!

Fortune favors the bald.

Maybe they should've added the feat "ambidextrous" .. and you should only be able to use dual ligtsabers effectively if you have the feat! and it could cost 2 feast or something?

I have been fencing for a while, and I'm not ambidextrous so I know how hard it is to use two swords .. VERY hard .. although Jedis do have the force to guide them!

you automatically use the forms when using Lightsabers right? so naturally you must use a form, even if you wield a double or dual ligthsaber(s) .. Some could be restricted of course!

I havent fought with dual wield in real life but i imagine it require a great deal of cordination, focus, Discipline and agility to fight effectively with as opposed to single style.

While some say they see no reason why dual wield/bladed should suffer for choosing that, it doesnt seem fair that single style require just as many feat and still is less effective than dual wield, I could understand this is dual was harder to master or cost more to attain, but i think its really single style that is punished for gaining less at same point cost.

EDIT: maybe making single style possible to use like Bastard sword in AD&D, where you could choose to use it as either single or 2handed mode where 2handed mode inflict more dmg.

I havent fought with dual wield in real life but i imagine it require a great deal of cordination, focus, Discipline and agility to fight effectively with as opposed to single style.

While some say they see no reason why dual wield/bladed should suffer for choosing that, it doesnt seem fair that single style require just as many feat and still is less effective than dual wield, I could understand this is dual was harder to master or cost more to attain, but i think its really single style that is punished for gaining less at same point cost.

EDIT: maybe making single style possible to use like Bastard sword in AD&D, where you could choose to use it as either single or 2handed mode where 2handed mode inflict more dmg.

I don't know if it requires dicipline (well maybe during training! :ermm: ), but definitely concentration, agility and a good deal of perception (if figthing someone else)!

maybe use 4-5 feats to master it fully .. because everyone proficient with a single blade has an advantage over you until you learn to control your every move very precisely! it takes alot of balance .. and while you can have more attacks, he can move faster and get you out of balance, and strike when you are at your weakest!

that's my experiance at least ..

Fortune favors the bald.

I was talking to a Kendo teacher about using two swords, and even though there is no real instruction he could give me he said that using a weapon in each hand usually does the same things for every user.

One it makes them robotic and forces them to use patterns over and over, it is the problem with having to coordinate the blades.

And two it decreases mobility, people just move ackward, kindof stiff while having no free arm to balance themselves.

One of the benefits though is that you would be able to defend yourself quite well with two blades, once you learned how to deflect attacks rather then absorb them.

I guess that there are exceptional individuals and all who these thing wouldn't be a problem for, I never really could "muster up" a straight face to ask him what he thought a Jedi would be able to do. ;):luck:

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Jedi should be able to do it as the lightsaber and even the blade is a part of the force, they could feel it.

But goodluck trying to learn about it without force assistance... tried it again yesterday, i think i learnt how to absorb the attacks with my thigh more than parry them :D

I believe that, for starters, dual wielding feats should have a high DEX requirement. In the pnp you really had to focus your character towards dual wielding to get the most of it, which usually meant spending all of your feats in dual wielding/ambidextrosity(sp?). But considering that now the level cap has been risen, feat number is no longer an issue. I think dual wielding should be extremely uncommon, and very costly for players who wished to pursue it. After all, the benefits more than make up for it.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Jedi should be able to do it as the lightsaber and even the blade is a part of the force, they could feel it.

But goodluck trying to learn about it without force assistance... tried it again yesterday, i think i learnt how to absorb the attacks with my thigh more than parry them :D

:lol:

I recently tried something like that, I had no balance at all. That and I had a hard time deciding which hand I was better with. If I swung hard with one then I had no balance or room to use the other one properly.

Note: I wasn't fencing, I was playing with sticks and balancing swords.

:D

Well for more detail:

I am a right handed fencer, so naturally i felt quite unbalanced with a weapon in my offhand although i kept my stance the regular i would normally have.

To even perfom the simplist of procedurs like an underhand parry or forward kata (im mixing fencing with a few other styles ive picked up recently (under the influence of 213374U :devil:)) became simply immpossible to pull off in combat.

Attempted recreating some of the actions the pc used in KotOR (big mistake) my opponents foil glanced off my counterattack and hit me squarely in the chest.

Personally the only possible way for that style to be of ANY use is if your constantly forming a cross around your body with both swords in a kata.

I lost the duel 1-7 ;)

I've been training dual wielding for a couple of years now through my martial arts training ... So I'm getting the hang of it, but it's still so very difficult! :(

all what Laozi said is true especially if you use two equally long swords .. you have to use a small and very balanced blade in your off-hand! and you have to use alot of spinning and swirling around to get the advantage of two attack points (if thats what you want, which it normally isn't) .. my main sword is about 85-90 cm (curved) and my offhand sword is about 30-40 cm (straight) .. the general idea is to use your second sword as a replace shield, with the occasional attack you can have with it, you use the off one for defence and parry and the main for attacks when you have locked the opponents with a parry! and the art of doing it involves alot of complicated stances! so when you start out you will be very stiff and rely heavily on your stances, which can really give you a disadvantage if your opponent knows them!

but it only gets really f***** when you are fighting two people from each side!! :thumbsup: I can't even imagine the skill it would require to do that properly without a great good deal of luck ..

So yeah 213374U a high DEX modifier is a big requirement! as well as a high awarness! and definitely more feats spent on it .. and then only very few would use it! (since most wannabes would be killed off before they became any good at it! :) )

Maybe this discussion should've taken place back when it could've been a real suggestion instead ..

Fortune favors the bald.

Maybe this discussion should've taken place back when it could've been a real suggestion instead ..

Nah, the devs would have been driven mad by hosts of Darth Maul wannabes whining about dual wielding 'sux0ring'. Remember this is a game not for the sentient gamer, but for the 'casual' one, whatever the f*ck that means. :thumbsup:"

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

suppose your right .. but still, even though I used dual wielding most of the time in KOTOR and will do the same in TSL, I still want it to be a little more difficult to master! it's only fair for those who like to go classic ..

Fortune favors the bald.