Genetically altered food... Corruption agian.. lol

Product of the Cosmos

You don't absorb random genetic material from the things you eat.

i didn't say you do... the argument was that it does not affect you, which mkreku did not disprove. but again, show proof that you don't absorb random genetic material from things you eat. i can't either way...

the "commonly accepted" theory, btw, applies to things you are commonly taught in your run of the mill education for the most part, maybe so far as a general scientific college education (this is a gross generalization, i agree, but i think the lines are fuzzy). but to delve into genetics as anything "commonly accepted" is a stretch, unless any of us have education and experience working in the field? (i don't...)

taks

comrade taks... just because.

that's not proof. using the lack of proof to the contrary argument is logically called "argumentum ad ignorantium" or (from infidels.org):

"Argumentum ad ignorantiam means "argument from ignorance." The fallacy occurs when it's argued that something must be true, simply because it hasn't been proved false. Or, equivalently, when it is argued that something must be false because it hasn't been proved true."

while i agree we probably don't "absorb" dna as you are saying, the argument wasn't that we are becoming plants or animals because of ingested dna. the argument was that ingested dna doesn't affect us. prove that...

taks

More on Monsanto courtesy of the business ethics teacher at Pacific U:

They DNA test and keep samples of every one of their possible employees. They have proposed plans to use human DNA in GE food...

But seriously. How many people in this thread rant about how stupid I am. Yet, do not add anything to the discussion? You people are getting logic lessons from TAKS! lmfao!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, selective reading is common it seems in this thread. It seems the selective focus is now on DNA ITSELF not affecting you. Well, my main point with that is DNA makes things happen. The DNA doesn't have to effect you directly, it does when you consume ANYTHING. The DNA was the internal schematic for the life to grow. So what grows is a product of what DNA it has. Regardless of if you actually infuse with the DNA itself, you are being effected by the DNA of an given thing you consume.

The proof is in the lack of proof to the contrary. We arent running around with avian or plant dna.

lol. That is such a flawed arguement. The arguement that DNA from something has no effect on us because we have not turned into the DNA attributes that we eat, it is that of which I would expect from a 5 year old....

I repeat. You don't absorb random genetic material from the things you eat.

Are you saying your DNA doesn't randomly infuse with DNA when you consume it, at least in the blink of an eye? Well no **** sherlock. You think that would be the only possible effect? The term 'you are what you eat' should not be taken literally, but it has some truth to it. Plus we don't really know much about evolution at this point IMO, I think it is logical to assume or at least egknowledge the possibility that what we eat effects our DNA down the line.

Why do you think cows that are fed cow grow diseases? How would the stomach know it's meat from it's own kind? Why is it that cannibalism is such a no-no. IF it doesn't matter what DNA is in our food?

I shouldn't have to explain what is common sense and is in grade school biology texts.

Common sense.. lol. Well I think it's obvious your level of comprehension of genetics is of grade school level. And you not being able to explain it I think points towards you not even understanding what you say. lol. Just dont post in here hades. Your posting spiteful one liners. You have no use in this thread past flaming...

Y'all are aware of what you're doing when you respond to PotC, right? PotC is not a person; its a burgeoning AI program developed by some ex-cultist computer programmers in Washington State who missed their comet several years ago, and they decided to put it through a modified Turing test. Unfortunately, it fails miserably to pass as a thinking human intelligence, hence its nonsensical statements and inability to cope with objective reality.

lol. I'm finding a pattern here. People no longer are debating the subject, and are attacking me largely. Ussually this means they have lost the debate. I dont think either side has 'won' this debate. But one side has resorted to put downs... Observe what you will from such.

Ambrosia3.gif

lol hades I would like for someone with information of any kind to show it. I bring forth my opinion with facts and other opinions, yes(which is much more then you have done). But not like you talking **** to me is relevant. I dont want a discussion? LOL. Then why would I make the thread. You think I assume people on these boards agree with me often?! lol.

Like I said. Please stay on topic. At least post some sort of article or factual, or at least logical opinion, before giving me your animosity.

Ambrosia3.gif

The proof is in the lack of proof to the contrary. We arent running around with avian or plant dna.

lol. That is such a flawed arguement. The arguement that DNA from something has no effect on us because we have not turned into the DNA attributes that we eat, it is that of which I would expect from a 5 year old....

And like a five year old I'd like to resolve this argument with violence.

What I actually said is that we don'thave dna from the thing we eat in our genome, we do have junk virus dna but not anything from a ham sandwich.

I repeat. You don't absorb random genetic material from the things you eat.

Are you saying your DNA doesn't randomly infuse with DNA when you consume it, at least in the blink of an eye?  Well no **** sherlock.  You think that would be the only possible effect?  The term 'you are what you eat' should not be taken literally, but it has some truth to it.  Plus we don't really know much about evolution at this point IMO, I think it is logical to assume or at least egknowledge the possibility that what we eat effects our DNA down the line.

Why do you think cows that are fed cow grow diseases?  How would the stomach know it's meat from it's own kind?  Why is it that cannibalism is such a no-no.  IF it doesn't matter what DNA is in our food?

In my opinion this is all about you opinion. Disease is passed more easily from similar organisms, dim. WHen you eat another person you get sick because they were sick not because you stomach somehow reconizes the source of the meal. Cows don't eat meat, hell they get sick just from eating corn. GM foods are only dangerous when they are altered to do something insane like provide you with a ton of the more toxic vitamins and say, a pesticide chaser. I know enough about evolution to know this has nothing to do with evolution.

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

But seriously.  How many people in this thread rant about how stupid I am. Yet, do not add anything to the discussion?  You people are getting logic lessons from TAKS! lmfao!!!!!!!!!!

yeah, logic according to, well, thousands of years of accepted scientific practices. sorry you've never been educated in such practices.

you just don't get it, do you?

you have yet to refute anything i've ever said. ever. you can't because your arguments are flawed as is your "evidence." sorry dude, hang it up.

btw, not once have i called you stupid. i leave to proof that your argument is flawed, scientifically lacking and that your conclusions are as equally flawed. if a reader wants to infer more than that, it's up to his own judgement.

taks

you have yet to refute anything i've ever said. ever.

lol. Your perception.

I have a perception too.

Who says their's is universal?

And likewise, when have you ever proved anything I have said wrong?

I'm wondering if you thought the quoted comment was directed at you. lol. EIther way you feel moreneed to dis me. =P A hobby of yours.

Ambrosia3.gif

In my opinion this is all about you opinion. Disease is passed more easily from similar organisms...

So in saying such, a genetically modified corn variety could develop something and pass it on to other corn more easily? A hightened chance you would say by extending their genetype?

GM foods are only dangerous when they are altered to do something insane like provide you with a ton of the more toxic vitamins and say, a pesticide chaser.

So what your saying is, they are only possibly unsafe when they are made to be unsafe? lol.... They will/have never do/done something unknown? Sorry if I am being out of hand in saying it is not in good logic IMO to judge on incomplete or unknown things when applying your opinion onto the rest of the world(as GE food companies are doing).

I know enough about evolution to know this has nothing to do with evolution.

Your saying evolution does not have anything to do with what an organism feeds off of? Interesting conclusion to jump to.. What about the evolution of something genetically modified. Are you saying this thing would not evolve? Because if it had nothing to do with evolution, it wouldn't evolve, eh?

Ambrosia3.gif