Star Wars

Ever Faith

I think this should go here.

Just by looking down at the KOTOR 2 forums, it seems to be a bunch of threads about Star Wars in general which all don't seem to do with the game at all. Why not just make another area for that. You know a place to post threads about Star Wars so we can all talk about it. The movies, the games, the Expanded Universe. I don't know if somebody already asked for this I don't know, but if they did I'm sorry.

Evolutionary Development

Yes but most of these star wars and EU-wars threads are related to TSL and vision of expanded universe it'll present.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Obsidian shouldn't create a specific forum for this. People that want to discuss Star Wars material, other than KotOR 2, can do it in specific forums such as official SW forums, fan sites, or even in Off-Topic discussion. I think it's basically a topic which, outside of the licensed game, is out of place here, and wouldn't make much sense; it would be the same as creating a specific forum to discuss D&D simply because Obsidian are developing a D&D-licensed game.

To address that problem of the SW forums here, that's best left to moderators.

Obsidian shouldn't create a specific forum for this. People that want to discuss Star Wars material, other than KotOR 2, can do it in specific forums such as official SW forums, fan sites, or even in Off-Topic discussion. I think it's basically a topic which, outside of the licensed game, is out of place here, and wouldn't make much sense; it would be the same as creating a specific forum to discuss D&D simply because Obsidian are developing a D&D-licensed game.

What he said.

newlogo.gif

Ah, but it's bound to occur in any thread related to KOTOR2.

So the choices then come down to this:

1-Allow non-KOTOR banter in the threads and take the topics off-topic.

or

2-Delete all non-KOTOR banter and/or delete the thread if it goes off topic.

Both take away significantly from the discussion since a thread that's 80% on topic and has generated good discussion will either have to be pruned by a moderator (probably not an enviable task if the thread is 10+ pages long) or deleted outright, in which that 80% was a waste of time.

Adding a SW: EU forum would help the situation since, atleast moderators can just say "move this to the EU forum". If all SW topics go into the Off-Topic forum, then that'll be cluttered with SW fans posting "what do you think of Leia vs. Bastila" threads all over the place. Atleast if the SW stuff is allowed its own "little forum", then anyone who doesn't want to read about SW doesn't have to.

But that's just my opinion, and my opinion means nothing on here. ;)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Ah, but it's bound to occur in any thread related to KOTOR2.

Topic derailing is bound to happen no matter what topic is originally brought up. Should Obsidian create specific forums because some users eventually discuss science, politics, religion, homosexuality, or crates? Not really.

So the choices then come down to this:

1-Allow non-KOTOR banter in the threads and take the topics off-topic.

or

2-Delete all non-KOTOR banter and/or delete the thread if it goes off topic.

Not really, there's more than 2 options:

3 - People follow forum guidelines and remain on topic as best as they can. If they don't, threads get purged, split and/or moved into a more adequate forum to balance it. If they absolutely must bring up general Star Wars banter that doesn't directly deal with the game, they should keep it brief.

or

4 - They can use any of the dozens upon dozens of Star Wars forums on the internet which have specific areas for general, non-Sith Lords SW banter.

or

5 - If there's some sort of problem for certain forum users to post their topic on any of the dozens upon dozens of Star Wars forums on the net which have specific areas for general, non-Sith Lords SW banter, and just have to unwind here, they can very well use the Off-topic Discussion forum. No problem with it being "cluttered", really, since it doesn't get that much use in the first place.

As always, all of the above is IMO, AFAIK, IANAL, and ASAP.