Are we going to talk Football?

kumquatq3

GO BEARS!

The best part is that bob costas (sp?) has a show on HBO with Marino, chris carter and one other guy and they do this special pick each week that is basicallya single elmination tournament. Once you miss a pick your out for a season. All four picked the Packers.

Only their special guest won, picking the Saints.

I, like Volo (weird, huh?), am a Giants fan with little hope for a productive season. I'm still of two minds about the Eli acquisition. He's looked good and all, but it's always a huge risk to give up so much for only one player (especially considering that they could have traded back, picked up Cleveland's 2nd rounder, and still gotten Ben Rothlisberger instead).

It was quite nice to see them beat the Redskins, though, especially because I live within DC's general penumbra and the game was actually on TV here (it's also fun to see the local papers whine about a Redskins loss). I am not, however, encouraged by how a 6-turnover lead only led to a 6-point win.

If they take care of Cleveland at home next week (which wouldn't be surprising given the injuries the Browns suffered in Dallas), I might have to revise my dismal hopes for this season.

GAINTS WIN! GIANTS WIN! GIANTS WIN!

Amazing, considering their pathetic coach. Despite last seasons' huge losing steak, I want Fassell and the old QB back. ;)

Fassel did get a raw deal, taking a fall for a horrendous rash of injuries on the OL and in the secondary. That's life in the NFL sometimes. By far his best move as a head coach, though, was one of his first-- hiring John Fox as his DC.

I'm not entirely sold on Coughlin, but his record in JAX was good, so he knows how to put together a winning football team. I really think that the Giants would've hired Wies or Crenell if the Pats had been knocked out of the playoffs last year. (There really should be a freeze on coach hiring until after the Super Bowl. As it is, successful coordinators get the shaft because teams have to make hiring decisions ASAP to have a shot at getting the more sought-after assistants and position coaches.) I'm willing to give Coughlin a chance, though. I didn't think much of Fassel when he came on, either ("Arizona's offensive coordinator??! Arizona's offense blows!!").

As for the QB, you really can't blame Kerry for wanting out after they picked Manning and refused to extend his contract. And I really can't blame the Giants for letting him go, considering that the move saved them about $7 mil. on their salary cap. The way I see it, management decided that Kerry was never going to be more than a just-above-average QB, and it's worth the risk of tanking a season if their assessment of Eli's potential is accurate (which, of course, is the $54 million question).

Palmer had an impressive drive to beat ...Miaimi...but impressive none the less.

Yea, he looked pretty bland all game, but he did come through when the pressure was on. That was a real good sign, seeing a winning drive from Palmer.

LOL! And Miami kinda sucks right now, but their defense is still top notch. They have 7 former or current (last year) pro bowlers on their defense. If their offense was even average, they would have a chance for the playoffs. But, until they get some offense, they stink.

Oh, btw, I think Rothlisberger will be a better QB than Manning. He looked pretty decent in the Ravens game. The Steelers got a gift when Ben dropped into their laps. But, of course I

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Hey kumquatq3, I was wondering what your take (or any Chicago fan) is on Bobby Wade. He doesn't have that many catches, but I've noticed you've run him a few time. He's also starting. Does this guy have a chance to be good?

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

Hey kumquatq3, I was wondering what your take (or any Chicago fan) is on Bobby Wade. He doesn't have that many catches, but I've noticed you've run him a few time. He's also starting. Does this guy have a chance to be good?

Wade is currently a very solid #3. He could be a #2 reciever, but not much more than that IMO. He isn't very tall, he's pretty quick, but not in a world beating kinda way. Justin Gage is the reciever everyone thinks could be a solid #1. Really, besides Gage, Terrall and Wade....we have no one. So him starting isn't really a sign of much. Tho he is certainly better than most #3 we have had over the years.

As for his lack of catches, the offense in Chicago now focuses alot more on things like passes to the RB and TE than it did before. I think passes to the WR are down in general. I mean, I think Terrall has 8 catches in 2 games (only one of those against Greenbay), and he's the number one reciever.

You have to admit it would be nice to have a good reciever again willing to lay it on the line for his team like Tom Waddle used to.  He was never the most gifted as far as recievers go but damn he could take a hit.

ooooo man, Tom Waddle.....I would marry Tom Waddle :p

Well, imo, as much as I like tommy ....Booker was better. Hell, if Marcus Robinson wasn't built out of matchsticks he would have been a world beater.

BTW, as for tom taking hits, the reason he retired is because he couldn't take hits :lol:

Well, imo, as much as I like tommy ....Booker was better. Hell, if Marcus Robinson wasn't built out of matchsticks he would have been a world beater.

Never said he was better than either of those 2 guys just that a guy like him without as much athletic ability is nice to have around if they are a team player. :D

BTW, as for tom taking hits, the reason he retired is because he couldn't take hits

Couldn't or was tired of taking them for a loosing team? :lol:

By the way what do you think of Ditka being left out of that memorial?

The statue the McCasky's comissioned to commereate Papa Bear. They put all sorts of Hall of Famers on there but left Ditka out, and used a lame excuse to justify it. You know they might not get along with Ditkae but he did win a superbowl.

The statue the McCasky's comissioned to commereate Papa Bear.  They put all sorts of Hall of Famers on there but left Ditka out, and used a lame excuse to justify it.  You know they might not get along with Ditkae but he did win a superbowl.

O right, got ya.

yea, pretty shabby of them, but what you going to go

Grossman, our QB, is now out for the season.

Man or man are the Bears being crippled by injuries.

I'm just waiting for Thomas Jones to go down..... :p

um....gooooooo Titians  :)

I hate to say it but you guys are screwed. Any team is if they lose their qb for the season. And, you guys looked like you had potential after the Green Bay win. Too bad.

- Steven Erikson

OMG WOWSERS!

The Giants are 2-1 even with the worst coach ever! Give the players a special award 'cause anyone who can win with thatc rappy guy deserves it!

Your defense is looking pretty good. I think the Giants have more talent than people give them credit for.

- Steven Erikson