Hello,

Sorry I am once again making build help topic, this time for Pallegina.

I hesitate between pure Paladin or Herald (Paladin / Chanter).

I red that the consensus was that pure Paladin wasn't great, and multiclass is much better.

Maybe they balanced that  since then ?

Are the lvl 8 and 9 skills that bad ?

I find the improvement on the exhortations not bad, also I like the concept of providence.

It depends on your party. If you have (or planing to have) party members who use a lot of summons (like a Beckoner with Ancient Brittle Bones, Troubadour with the phrase Many Lives Pass By or an Ancient with Sporelings for example) then going Single Class Paladin can be very potent. The reason is that the ability "Divine Retribution" will give +2 Zeal on a summon's death, too.

The best case is a Troubadour with Many Lives Pass By, sung with Brisk Recitation. Those skeletons pop out every 3 secs and die as quickly (because weak as wet tissue paper) so you'll basically get +2 Zeal every 3 seconds if the fight is rough and the skeletons die quickly. So you can provide exortations and Lay on Hands and whatnot all the time. 

If that's not the case then Herald. It has great "self-contained" synergy and is both very tanky and very supportive - not only actively but also passively (with chants + zealous auras combined) and also has summons, which are a very powerful in general. 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Thanks 1

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

No I don't think my team will have summons.

My only chanter will be Konstanten as a Howler, and summons won't be his thing I suppose.

Other than that the druid but I doubt he has weak summons needed.

Not sure if I want to build Pallegina dependant of other character's summons anyway.

I guess it will be Herald then, thanks.

I am playing Herald Pallegina at the moment and she's doing great. Also, as far as I am concerned, Paladin's ability tree isn't usually that exciting to me. A lot of good stuff, but I am rarely hesitating where my points should go. Also, there seems to be no pure paladin builds here, but a ****load of paladin's multiclasses, which is saying something.  Same with chanter, by the way, but I'd say - for different reasons. With chanter tree it's a constant struggle. ****load of abilities on every level and to top this off - a division between chants and invocations. 

Adding my 3 cents despite being a Deadfire noob, because I've seen you are a fellow summon-sceptic. I understand and support your decision. I wanted to test out a drake summon on Pal and man, this got weird. Now she tends to start the battle with a long summoning invocation and then a huge winged lizard covers half of your screen. Weird, to say the least. Maybe I will apologize to the lizard when game's content will catch up to my party's level. ;) 

Posted (edited)

I actually loves summons and pets in RPG.

It's just that don't want Pallegina to be forced to be played with other specific companions in the group to work, I like to swap team members for fun.

Besides Konstanten is bad for summons.

So as an Herald Pallegina, I guess the skelettons will be mandatory to build ressources.

I know the ogres were very good chanter summons in PoE 1, better than drakes, maybe they still are.

I will just miss the lvl 9 dragon summon, I wish I could use it, but I won't have any pure chanter in my team, the only companion who can be one is Konstanten, but he's not really built to be a summoner, so I made him a Howler, that is where his potential seems to be, thanks to the great advices I got.

Edited by SenSx

Make Pallegina a Herald with Zealous Endurance + Ancient Memory as aura+chant, aim for the Blackened Plate and enchant it with the healing aura, get Lethandria's Devotion as shield and enchant it with Sheltering Light and maybe use Bardatto's Luxury as main weapon or a spear for more engagement if you need it and you'll have a sturdy tank who can passively heal herself and the party and also support actively with invocations, exortations and Lay on Hands. Later even dealing noticable damage becomes an option with Sacred Immolation (watch out for the self damage).

2 hours ago, SenSx said:

Btw I was surprised because I don't remember Pallegina being a good tank in PoE 1, unlike Eder.

She was an offtank with some support.

She couldn't get the Paladin's defensive passives as high as a main player Paladin -  and there was the health + endurance mechanic: health was finite and mostly unhealable - and endurance was tied to health (couldn't have more endurance than remaining health), so you couldn't outheal damage endlessly as you can in Deadfire. 

In Deadfire you can be tanky as hell as long as you can heal the incoming damage. 

Yes ok, they made it more streamlined and accessible in PoE 2.

Honestly I like both, it was more realistic in PoE 1 but it's less of a hassle in Deadfire.

Those 2 games are complementary.